Generation disrespectful?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify Phil, are you saying that racism, sexism and all other types of discrimination isn't being disrespectful?

Just to clarify Phil, are you saying that racism, sexism and all other types of discrimination isn't being disrespectful?

No I'm not. It certainly is disrespectful. I am saying that it was the norm back then (which certainly isn't excusable to us now, but they weren't being 'disrespectful' in their time - these kids are). This isn't sounding as clear as it does in my head...

I just interpreted this thread to be about kids who are acting impolitely, out of control and disrespectfully compared to their age and time... they're not being sexist racist or homophobic... that is the way I saw this thread

That's the point i am making. These kids are being what we would call disrespectful in our time, not there's. This is a complaint that each generation makes about the next.

Here's another interesting tid bit of info. Not all cultures have a word for please or thankyou...

No I'm not. It certainly is disrespectful. I am saying that it was the norm back then (which certainly isn't excusable to us now, but they weren't being 'disrespectful' in their time - these kids are). This isn't sounding as clear as it does in my head...

I just interpreted this thread to be about kids who are acting impolitely, out of control and disrespectfully compared to their age and time... they're not being sexist racist or homophobic... that is the way I saw this thread

Yes Gordo but our culture does. If a kid was from a different culture and didn't have his pleases and thank yous I would understand (my older cousin visited from Poland and didn't have his pleases and thank yous and it was most uncomfortable).

But these kids are in our time - it is 2012 for us AND them. Surely the values of people haven't spun around so quickly in only a few years? Maybe it has but I certainly hope my kids or grandkids aren't like that....

That's a fiar point lol.

But you and i haven't been around that long to see the changes in kids respect. Maybe it has been changing for a long time. I don't think it is right, i like having and using my manners and i remember the day when i decided that i would use them for the rest of my life. But on that same note i've never ever subscribed to the idea that age = respect.

Yes Gordo but our culture does. If a kid was from a different culture and didn't have his pleases and thank yous I would understand (my older cousin visited from Poland and didn't have his pleases and thank yous and it was most uncomfortable).

But these kids are in our time - it is 2012 for us AND them. Surely the values of people haven't spun around so quickly in only a few years? Maybe it has but I certainly hope my kids or grandkids aren't like that....

i get extremely frustrated at people my own age when they disrespect other people who havnt deserved it especially police!!! they have a hard enough job as it is! ive seen how some of the people my age have been raised and its disgusting and i wish their parents would just sort them out!! its just insane that if your under 18 you can practically get away with anything you want and for that i do blame the laws! laws should be there to protect the people that do the right thing!! if you do the wrong thing regardless of age you should have to pay the consequences for your actions!
it is also sad that i get lumped with stereotype of my age. i do the right thing but because many people of my age and description dont i get stuck with that aswell.

anyway thats just my opinion.

Nearly everyone on this thread talks about how well adjusted they are then how they want to violently abuse children.
At the recent Penrith herp show I watched one father raise his fist at his daughter. The sheer terror on her face said it all. Thats how I equate the garbage in this thread.

there is of course a line, it's not like parents enjoy it either which is what you seem to be implying, neither is it ever a full blown tackle like some might be thinking.

what you described there seems tad exessive, however considering i have absolutely no idea whatsoever what happened between the father and the child, i have no right to judge out of context. I'm not saying it may be wrong (i was taught growing up you never raise a hand against a woman), but i won't be one to jump the gun screaming child abuse.

which brings me to the question, by raising his hand did he actually hit the child? in public?

I'm just saying... don't label everyone younger than you disrespectful and selfish :)
hardly anyone is, i personally know heaps of well adjusted and respectful individuals around my age and/or younger

That's not entirely fair. I do not for a second believe that it is teacher's responsibility to raise children, however I do believe that they have a hand in teaching them respect,

ok give me a few suggestions on how teachers can teach them respect and ill pass it along to my friend who is a teacher, you do know dont you that teachers these days cant even sneeze in the same room as one of their precious students in case the little darling catches a cold and has to stay home and be looked after by mummy, i wait with baited breath for you to park with your brilliance

It is amazing how many people who copped a good belting say it didn't do them any harm but when you get to know them they have all sorts of issues. Trust issues, anger issues, possessiveness, clinginess, drinking, violence the list goes on

what a load of poppy cock i coped a few good beltings as a child growing up and i suffer FROM NOT ONE SINGLE THING ON THAT LIST so that kind of makes you look a bit foolish now doesnt it and im sure there are others in here who got a good belting as a child and dont suffer from any of them either

for those who dont believe in 'smacking' a child on the bottom what would you do if your darling child kept putting a knife in a power socket and turning it on? you have tried time out DIDNT WORK, you have tried sending them to their room DIDNT WORK, you have tried talking to them DIDNT WORK, nothing works so you would rather see them get electrocuted then to give them a gentle tap on the bottom followed by a loud NO i can guarantee you would probably only have to do it once

sometimes a smack NOT ABUSE, NOT A BELTING, NOT A BEATING, NOT A BASHING, but a smack is the only option to a child who wont learn any other way

no wonder the majority of this generation today is disrespectful, foul, feral, nasty, etc

they even think its ok to break into the homes of the elderly and beat them up and in some cases the hero thinks its ok to rape the elderly women maybe if the cops took them out behind the cells and gave them all a bloody good hiding the little 'darlings' might get the hint its NOT ok to do this to the elderly

what a load of poppy cock i coped a few good beltings as a child growing up and i suffer FROM NOT ONE SINGLE THING ON THAT LIST so that kind of makes you look a bit foolish now doesnt it and im sure there are others in here who got a good belting as a child and dont suffer from any of them either

no wonder the majority of this generation today is disrespectful, foul, feral, nasty, etc

I think some of your posts on APS including the statement below would make people beg to differ. It is easy to say on a public forum you have no issues but as no one actually knows you, a little hard to back up with fact.

Can you prove with proper evidence that the "majority" is bad or are you just making a sweeping generalization based on bad things people have done that made it into the paper? You don't get stories about all the good people of this generation because that doesn't sell.

Generalisations do not help.. each child needs to be treated as an individual, the way of raising one child will differ to the way of raising another. They all have unique traits and characteristics. It is the responsibility of the parents to identify what works and what doesn't. As I said earlier, they learn from their parents and from what they see around them. Control what your kids see at home, treat your partner and everyone else you interact with with respect (including your children). You need to be the role model for them, in order to instill good values/behaviours, you must have them in the first place in order for you to teach your kids. You cannot tell your child not to do something, and be doing it at the same time. E.g. you tell your children not to shout, but you scream at your partner, over the phone, etc. Firstly, it makes you a hypocrite, secondly your statement loses credibility infront of your child - leaving them confused.

I agree that some children can be very stubborn, and you need to be firm with them. But that is not a generalisation you can make for an entire generation. Statements like "if these kids received a good smack they wouldn't turn out like bla bla" are a joke. They may have turned out worse if they had received a "good smack", depends on the individual. Give your kids the time and attention they need, and raise them yourself they way you would like them to be raised. A lot of issues arise due to parents not taking out the time to talk to their children when they are young, then they wonder why the kids don't talk/listen to them when they are older. A lot of sacrifice and effort is required in the early years to ensure your children have the necessary tools to cope with life as they get older and to make sound decisions and judgements.

I am not going to read through all the previous posts however i will add my 2 cents worth just because.

I have 6 little boys aged 11mths -14 yrs. They can be cheeky, they swear sometimes but so do i. Anyways i guess what im trying to say is no ones perefct, my kids are very polite to others and no when and where to be good, however they throw out a few choice words now and then. I always remind them its not acceptable and have even used a tiny dab of pepper on a tongue or two over the yrs.
Parenting is super challenging at times but there is no wrong or right way. Each to their own i say....and some kids are just *****s lol

That's not entirely fair. I do not for a second believe that it is teacher's responsibility to raise children, however I do believe that they have a hand in teaching them respect,

ok give me a few suggestions on how teachers can teach them respect and ill pass it along to my friend who is a teacher, you do know dont you that teachers these days cant even sneeze in the same room as one of their precious students in case the little darling catches a cold and has to stay home and be looked after by mummy, i wait with baited breath for you to park with your brilliance

It is amazing how many people who copped a good belting say it didn't do them any harm but when you get to know them they have all sorts of issues. Trust issues, anger issues, possessiveness, clinginess, drinking, violence the list goes on

for those who dont believe in 'smacking' a child on the bottom what would you do if your darling child kept putting a knife in a power socket and turning it on? you have tried time out DIDNT WORK, you have tried sending them to their room DIDNT WORK, you have tried talking to them DIDNT WORK, nothing works so you would rather see them get electrocuted then to give them a gentle tap on the bottom followed by a loud NO i can guarantee you would probably only have to do it once

sometimes a smack NOT ABUSE, NOT A BELTING, NOT A BEATING, NOT A BASHING, but a smack is the only option to a child who wont learn any other way

they even think its ok to break into the homes of the elderly and beat them up and in some cases the hero thinks its ok to rape the elderly women maybe if the cops took them out behind the cells and gave them all a bloody good hiding the little 'darlings' might get the hint its NOT ok to do this to the elderly

Alright Precious, no need to get snarky, is there?
As I mentioned in the post you have quoted, it is not up to teachers to raise children, far from it. If you read the entire post, you would have noticed the part where I said this responsibility also lies with EVERY ADULT THE CHILD COMES INTO CONTACT WITH. For example, I don't like children at all, but I don't go about telling them to ******* off in public because it's not socially acceptable. Social mores dictate that we treat the people around us with courtesy and respect. That also applies to children, and children learn from their experiences of the world around them, ergo, it is partially a teachers responsibility to teach their charges respect and courtesy by giving them courtesy and respect to begin with. If said children do not respond in kind, then by all means, they should no longer have respect until they have earned it, BECAUSE THAT IS HOW IT WORKS IN THE REAL WORLD.

So next time, if you're going to quote me, please use the quote in its entirety and in context, and do not try to put words in my mouth.

So you're saying that it is okay to do this, as long as the victim isn't old?

^^
Irritating, isn't it?

And just for the record, you may not suffer from any of the afflictions on that list, but you certainly have an aggravated case of poorly utilised sarcasm.

This subject grinds me a fair bit. children learn by example. the young generation isnt as bad as they are made out to be its just that we are more outspoken and less inclined to be polite to rude old people who think that just because they are older they somehow have a right to be offensive and rude and get away with it.

I think working in insurance where I have had to deal with alot of the older generation has definately made me feel this way.

obviously there are different personalities in all demographics but must say I find the older generation alot more rude and offensive than I do the younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back