Rifle hunters.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beard

Reaction score
Whats your rifle of choice?

I personally love my 6.5x55 but after playing with .223's alot recently its got me thinking :)

Though the 6 is a little more useable, having more stopping power and hitting alot harder than a .223

My little .17HMR is a fantastic bunny gun too.

Been giving a mates .223 a real workout lately. Foxes are everywhere down here.

I recently had the luck to spend a night behind a Blaser .223

The Gremans certainly know how to put a nice rifle together but it'd want to be for the money. With a Zeiss scope sitting on top it cost the bloke a bit over 7grand!

Last edited:
im still yet to get my firearms licence but my dads mates holding my dads guns for me until i do anyways i inherited a 243 bolt action ,a 22 hornet bolt action and a normal little 22 pumpaction rifle my favourite would have to be the 22 hornet such a smooth nice gun to use although ive only shot a few bunnys and targets

Thats the problem with the .17. That little 17gn pill gets moved around so easily. As soon as the breeze picks up it goes away and my .22 comes out...

Thomasssssssssssssssssss, if you're going to be doing much shooting with the hornet, learn to handload. Shooting those factory rounds will send you broke.

I'm wanting to use the Rem .308 a bit more. I've managed to snare a couple of foxes with the .22 (not saying that's not fun), but think a little more ooomph could raise the bar in the fox stakes :lol: The trouble is finding the space to use the 30 cal without driving for 4 hours :)

Little early to be shooting foxes..

My weapon of choice is a .204 ruger, made by savage firearms. Using 30 & 32 grainers. I use this for foxes and deer. Very accurate and enough punch for almost anything provided u know where to hit them & u can shoot. Getting nice head shots up to 500m.

I also use a mates .17 remington mkIV. It is much better for hitting foxes on the nose, leaves a nice tiny hole. Can hit on the nose up to 350m on a good night.

I only shoot during the winter period on various properties.

I'm wanting to use the Rem .308 a bit more. I've managed to snare a couple of foxes with the .22 (not saying that's not fun), but think a little more ooomph could raise the bar in the fox stakes :lol: The trouble is finding the space to use the 30 cal without driving for 4 hours :)

I've got acces to around 5000ac 15 mins from my door:)

You'd be putting a hasty stop to the foxes, hope you're not looking for pelts :)

Thomasssssssssssssssssss, if you're going to be doing much shooting with the hornet, learn to handload. Shooting those factory rounds will send you broke.
i was just about to edit my post and and say how ridiculously priced they are , my dad used to reload his own shells so ive got all the gear somewhere just got to learn how to do it been saving all my shells though so when i learn ill have plenty

My favorite is a Winchester .243 i use it on any thing from rabbits to camels. Bit of a rough one.
Anything between me and 300m is in the ****! I have a few vids of long distance shots but im not sure how to get them on here!

I've got acces to around 5000ac 15 mins from my door:)

You'd be putting a hasty stop to the foxes, hope you're not looking for pelts :)

Haha no, just being able to hit the long shot and make it count :D I've got no acres close to my door :lol: ...well, none that I should be shooting in (and don't)

We've been on damage control. Over 40 chooks and 20 turkeys takenin the past few months on one of the properties.

Victoria has had an absolute influx of them (foxes) lately. The rabbit populations have exploded due to rain and the fox numbers have increased accordingly. Yet again I have no place locally to go and nail them. We're not allowed to hunt or reduce their numbers in State Parks (Forests increasing being renamed Parks). Parks are just really a sanctuary for pest species to increase their numbers and do what they like.

I love nothing better than freshly BBQed wild rabbit, and have a number of recipes I'm dying to try out :)

I love my .223 rem stevens 200 (cheap version of a savage). Best $450 I ever spent. It will shoot .75 inch all day long using 55gr winchester supremes and that is with me shooting it too. Also added a SSS trigger. 223 is great as it isn't too loud, cheap to load for and you can still nail bunnies and keep the back half to eat.

I also have a 6.5 x 55 Beard, and I do love it, is yours a husqvarna or a Carl gustaf?

I'm looking for properties at the moment here in QLD and would like to bag some pigs, roos or deer mainly, hence why I went for something a little bigger.

I've got my little CZ .22 coming tomorrow factory threaded and all :)

and I've also got a few people close to me with a 22-250, another .22 and 6.5 x 55, 12g and a .223, they're all great and more or less available for hunting buddies but I'm happy with the way I've got my mauser setup now. I've got a Hawke tactical 8.5-25x42 on top (shipped it in from the states) and shooting around about MOA or better with factory loads on paper so can't wait to start handloading in the near future and get out into the field, I reckon it'd be a great deer stalking rifle.

c0947561-9570-e5ea.jpg
Beard I know and feel your anger about the loss of live stock to the filthy redcoats.
Now onto my other passion,firearms.lately I've been using my new little toy a rem 7615 pump 223,slightly modified built it for goats and the other gun there is also a 223 that I use for roo shooting.
But my favorite firearm is my Winchester 270 short magnum,it's the one that I will walk all day with.

I've had .22LR and .308 Mauser in the past, got the irrits with the .22 when a fox ran off after a head shot so went to the .308 for the night some good laughs and pulled one sly plick who wouldn't come inside 300yds but a bit of over kill and $$$ for fox busting... I was reloading my own gear in those days. These days I love my .243 BSA Monarch, great all rounder and can pull down some big game with the right pill, mine is zeroed for 200yds. Only problem is in Vic min cal for deer is a .270 so if/when I get down that way I will have to add a new toy.

My .22mag is good fun out to 150yds on foxes/cats/hares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back