Dilated pupils

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerinamc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a 75watt red heat globe in my coastal carpet pythons enclosure, I just noticed his pupils are dilated. Big time. Turned the lamp off to see if it was too bright for him, was told by reptile pet shop it was the right watt for the size of his enclosure, but he's pupils have never been this dilated

Maybe he likes to go out partying when your sleeping and gets on party treats..

The mongrel strikes? Do you mean before he strikes you? I'm new to this. And venomous, I've busted him partying in the middle of the night! Cheeky little bugga, probably why he loves to sleep all day!:D

i find my guy's pupils dilate if he is being active at night, or if he is in predator mode (hungry)

I thought that, it's been 9 days since last feed, so he just took another one now. I took the heat lamp off him, and they've gone down now, so he's happy now! Thanks for the advice!

Hes happy boy now. Think it was too much light. Thinking maybe 75watt is too harsh. Dumb **** pet shop guy doesn't know anything. That's really annoying, you go somewhere and expect them to know their job, and you find out they don't. That **** wouldn't be allowed in any other trade or profession, but worst of all it happens in a pet shop

His eyes are fine. Snakes cant see infra red light, so as far as he is concerned, it is pitch black, thats why his eyes are dialated. That is why we use infra red lights, so we can see them at night and know our heat lamps are working without interfering with our reptiles day/night cycle.

Unless you have the lamp too close to him, I would say it is fine. If it were too bright for him, his pupils would be little slits, so fully dialated is appropriate response to infra red light

Thanks! I've turned it off, so I should turn it back on?

Yes, as long as it isnt too close to him and he cant touch the bare bolb and get burned, and he can go to another cooler part of the enclosure if the lamp gets too hot for him. As with any electric heat source it should run thru a thermostat to stop his enclosure overheating. Timer is ok too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back