HELP!! Bearded Dragon Not Eating!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RipRed143

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Bearded dragon won't Eat!!
I've tried different Foods. Natural & Fake. Checked the Humidity & Temp.

If worst comes to Worst. I might have to Force Feed him. But I REALLY don't want it to come down to that.
Open for any suggestions!!

He's 5 years old. Enclosures 4 foot long. Have a UV on for 12 hours and Take him outside sometimes. Heat's on ~30 Degrees for the day. And about 25 Degrees for the night.

What is his basking spot temp? Should be low 40's if I'm not mistaken.

agreed. what foods have you tried? what's the temps? is he moving to the warmth? My lazy Jub doesn't move! I put him under the heat lamp half the time. If a beardie doesn't wake up for woodies and crix then there is an underlying problem here

also... how long has it been between feeds? how much are you trying to feed? what was his last meal?

get basking temp up to 40-45.
allow your dragon to getwithin 10-20cm of a good quality uvb tube with a 10.0 rating.
He is fully grown so he will be eating more vegies than crickets so feed lots of vegies and throw crickets in every few days.
Does he have enough shelter, is he stressed?

Thanks for the quick Replys.
His Basking temp's 35 ish. So i'll turn that up.
The Last thing i tried to give him was Diced Rocket, Spinach, And some Mealworms. That was yesterday.
I try to feed him Greens every 2nd day. Mealworms twice a week. With Calcium Powder every 3rd feed. He has 2 Hidey Holes and a Covered area down the Colder end.
Natural Foods. I've tried Most Vegies, But no Broccoli. As i've heard it's no good for them. I've tried 2 brands of Lizard Food. Not sure which ones. He could be Stressed. As i've now had him for 5 weeks. And switched enclosures. So that's a Possibility.

Again. Thanks. It really helps to know that there is some good users on this site.

Switch the mealworms to medium or large crickets. Mealworms can be hard to diguest for some dragons.

What time of day are you offering him food?

They will eat most anything when it comes to vegies and fruit but basically keep away from lettuce's, avocado and rhubarb. Our experience has shown us that they tend to love carrot grated and pumpkin.

Have you tried him with crickets and/or roaches or just mealworms?

Cheers,
John

the movement of crickets and woodies might provoke a hunting/feeding response.
Also allow him to warm up for an hour or so before feeding.

Just a quick question... How long has your dragon "not been eating"? If it's only for a few days, I'd be tipping the weather change as a contributing factor, as well as the stress from moving... Just a thought...!

really, mine LOVE broccoli and I haven't seen any ill affects. My Jub is 5 and still chases crickets like there is no tomorrow

I think i asked that question before LizardLady

I didn't think Spinach was ok for Beardies as it's high in oxalates.

Throw a little fruit juice in with the veg and try endive, snow pea sprouts (they love them), any berries - strawberries, limited blueberries, a little grated carrot. Even try that Wombaroo mix.

Switch the mealworms to medium or large crickets. Mealworms can be hard to diguest for some dragons.

And high in fat. They are a treat not a staple.

You say you have had him for five weeks, has he just gone off his food in the last few days or since you got him?

I would try placing a branch in his enclosure that allows him to get closer to his basking light. You could also try some woodies. My Beardie juvie really likes his woodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back