striking baby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezmay

Reaction score
hi all, my baby childrens python is so scared when i try to get him out of his tank. i think im just as scared cos he strikes at me. i kno it doesnt hurt cos he did get me but i dont wanna scare him too much so how often should i try this? im not sure how to overcome my fear so he stops being so scared?? :?

If you havent had him very long he just needs to settle in, I used a hook to get my firey jungle baby out(not cause I was afraid but it was less stressful for her, imo)and feed her in a separate container. I did this a few times and then progressed to letting her explore along the hook and onto my hand :) this all took time and patience but I felt it was less stressful on her and it allowed her to come to me on her own terms. I know hooking is not for every-one but this I found worked with my little Girl. Remember she is only a Baby and needs to learn your her protector not predator(biting is the only defence they have :) ) good luck
Crystal

thanx

thanx.. i wil have to get a hook wen i go into town next n try that!! might not be as scary that way :)

I used my old electric bass stand (the top part that holds the neck in place) when mine was a lil angry.Works a charm haha, could also get a nice stick with an angle to it.
buying a hook for a childrens is a bit over kill but hey whatever works :p

again, with what crystal said let it settle.
snakes bite. learn to love 'em for it :)

thanx.. i wil have to get a hook wen i go into town next n try that!! might not be as scary that way :)
I use just a plain old plastic coated wire coat hanger for my Hatchy :) it will let you build up your confidence too :) they sense your nervousness and it can make them even more defensive :) Just remember if you've only just got your Baby let it settle in first :) apart from the feeding etc :)

Last edited:
thanx heaps guys... :) very much appreciated!! so should i only really pik him up with the hook wen im gonna put him in his feeding tank n bak again for a while n c how that goes?

thanx heaps guys... :) very much appreciated!! so should i only really pik him up with the hook wen im gonna put him in his feeding tank n bak again for a while n c how that goes?
There's lots of talk about feeding inside and outside enclosures, do a little search and see what you would prefer, or do a test and see which 'works better'.

I personally feed inside my enclosure, as I don't want him to think of handling time as feeding time. Lots of threads about this though :)

Just let it settle as normal if it's new, and take a few bites here and there to get your confidence up and soon enough youll dive your hand in there without a thought.

true.. thanx vincey.. i just dont wanna piss him off n scare him!! wel, il have a crack with a hook every now n then n hopefully he wont bite me too often :)

:) I would kinda start from scratch and take him in and out for feed and to clean tank. for sayyy 2/3 weeks then try getting him out on a non feed/clean day and let him slither on his hook for a bit till he loses his strike pose and looks calm :) as soon as Pandora did this she started coming up and tasting my fingers/hand and then gradually slithered up onto it :) they are all different though and there is no set time or method they do things in their own time :)

I agree with Vincey, some do like being fed in some out of their enclosure :) I dont have the probs with mine associating being taken out with feeding because I dont feed by routine lol I change it all about so they never know what will happen ;) I do have 2 that feed in their enclosure and 2 that feed in a separate container.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back