Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
usually heated discussion about this

big difference between deadliest [kill most people] and most venomous [have ability to kill most people]

with land snake venom Aus has the nastiest
with danger probably India Sri Lanka Central Africa

approx 200,000 people are bitten by snakes every year in India alone with 50,000 dying so India has the most dangerous snakes compared to any other country , but Australia has the most venomous, but we have only a couple of deaths a year, even in New Guinea 600 people are year die from snake bite

approx 200,000 people are bitten by snakes every year in India alone with 50,000 dying so India has the most dangerous snakes compared to any other country , but Australia has the most venomous, but we have only a couple of deaths a year, even in New Guinea 600 people are year die from snake bite

so does that make india the most dumbest country ?????

India just has the most people with out health care.

Lucas

Well that definitely qualifies as a "dumbest question".
gee, sorry to offend blue

just with the countless vids and even a bit of 1st hand exp of how vens are treated over there, it makes you wonder how smart some people are.....it wouldnt be my idea of a relaxing afternoon of forcing cobra's to strike at me and see if i can dodge them.

maybe we dont call them dumb hey??? just say natural selection at work yeah

Sorry, I think you missed the pun...

Forget the cobras. The ones they play with in India are mostly defanged every several weeks. That's why you can get a video of a toddler playing with a cobra and being struck several times with no effects. They are found more in the rangelands and forests and you need to go looking for them more often than not.

The real killer is Russell's Viper. It and it smaller relatives, the Saw-scaled Vipers. These snakes are attracted to agricultural areas and human dwellings in response to the rodents found there. They are comfortable taking up residence in or near dwellings and are not put off by the presence of humans in the area, as most snakes would be. They tend to be active just after dark in the warmer weather when locals are still out and about. When disturbed, they make no attempt to flee as nearly all other snakes do. Instead they coil up and prepare to strike. They will readily and rapidly strike at anything that comes within range, virtually launching themselves at their intended target. They have large fangs, extremely potent venom and deliver a large quantity of it when biting. Just the sort of snake you would buy for your mother-in-law.

Even though they now have anti-venom available, the combined problems of lack of transport to a medical facility and reliance on traditional potions have prevented its widespread use.

Where Russell's is the main killer in Sri Lanka and India, the Saw-scaled Vipers take over in the Middle East and Northern Africa.

Blue

I had the opportunity to play with a saw scaled viper in Sri Lanka
Nasty bit of work
Launching themselves is the perfect description
This was in a lab and they gave me a special glove
When they hit it was like a hard slap on your hand
and these are only a small snake about 800mm long
Every strike left venom in the glove fibre which the techs later extracted
So their wet bite rate is around 100% far exceeding most Aussie vens which give about 85% dry bites

Most Asian African snakes have been in contact with humans since humans evolved but only for 30,000 years or so in Australia
The techs thought the rate of wet bites was because the snakes there had evolved more to counter our danger to them??
Worth thinking about because in PNG the black snake is feared everywhere and kills people pretty often
But in Aus it can ruin your day but usually thats it

We have so much to learn

so does that make india the most dumbest country ?????
Talk to random group of Aussies about snakes before opening your mouth. Aside from tourniquets, sucking out the venom and ( an APS favourite ) the snake sentinel I hear things like rub milk on the wound, they always find their way back and carpets are crossing with various random vens. Two days ago a woman was telling me that she uncovered a nest of taipans in her back lawn and proceeded to describe young Anomalopus verreauxi! The reason she knew that they were tiapans was because her next door neighbor told her and I couldn't convince her otherwise.

Forget the cobras..The real killer is Russell's Viper.
This rant is very close to my "most dangerous" rant. I would add the prevalence of bare feet and the cost of the anti-venom compared to the average wage. I doubt we would be so sanguine about hots if a nip could cost us half a years wage

Talk to random group of Aussies about snakes before opening your mouth. Aside from tourniquets, sucking out the venom and ( an APS favourite ) the snake sentinel I hear things like rub milk on the wound, they always find their way back and carpets are crossing with various random vens. Two days ago a woman was telling me that she uncovered a nest of taipans in her back lawn and proceeded to describe young Anomalopus verreauxi! The reason she knew that they were tiapans was because her next door neighbor told her and I couldn't convince her otherwise.

This rant is very close to my "most dangerous" rant. I would add the prevalence of bare feet and the cost of the anti-venom compared to the average wage. I doubt we would be so sanguine about hots if a nip could cost us half a years wage

mmm might be hard to convince me that a skink is a taipan lol.....
and i love especially how people still call the mulga a king brown. infact a customer told me the other day he killed a king brown on his doorstep as it was threatening his wife, we shoudnt even have mulgas in far north coast nsw....

i love the saw scale viper too, its a nice looking animal

they did post this insert with the vid'...
"Sorry if this list is not perfect. This list is not about which snake can kill faster or cause more human deaths but this list is based on LD50 for each snake. LD50 is least venom dose enough to kill minimum 50% of samples tested.It's usually tested on mouse."

the top post was a typical meat-head response "
i wish i had an axe right now"
:x we'll never win against this attitude will we

Interesting reading. I saw a youtube vid last week of a toddler being repeatedly struck by a cobra somewhere and wondered how on earth it wasn't hurting the child, so thanks for that info Blue :)

10 most deadliest snakes?Top 10 Most Venomous Snakes! - YouTube
In its defence, the video did state it was only the LD50. However, it did not say if the data provided was obtained subcutaneous, intramuscular or intravenous injection. Irrespective of that there are some glaring errors. There also some issues with the LD50 which affect its validity, which I shan't go into unless you are specifically interested.

When the terms "most dangerous" and "most venomous" are used, they need to be defined. Let's use some made-up examples to illustrate. Say there is a snake with extremely toxic venom but its fangs are too small to pierce human skin. Clearly, it is not dangerous, but is it highly venomous. This time, imagine a snake with the venom apparatus of a large elapid. It has very toxic venom also. However, it only produces a very small amount of venom at any given time. This means that it does not deliver enough venom to cause serious illness. It is not dangerous but is it highly venomous?

You cannot measure the amount of venom that is injected in a real bite. So the next best thing is to measure the quantities obtained when milking animals in the laboratory. These vary so they are averaged out to give the "average yield". Whatever relationship it may bear to real bites, it is all we have to work with. The fatal doese in mice are extrapolated to determine a fatal dose in an average sized human (this is not without some major shortcomings as well). Using this and the average yield, the number of humans that could be killed by an average bite can be calculated. This is often used to compare the "most venomous". As so it does go on....

.... This rant is very close to my "most dangerous" rant. I would add the prevalence of bare feet and the cost of the anti-venom compared to the average wage. I doubt we would be so sanguine about hots if a nip could cost us half a years wage
You mean I could have corrected this common misconception with just a link? Bugger!
Yep, did not mention prevalence of bare feet, bare lower legs or ineffective protection afford by usual light cotton garments when present. I admit to being totally ignorant of the relative cost of anti-venom

I had the opportunity to play with a saw scaled viper in Sri Lanka....
That would have been amazing. I have only ever read about them and seen photos and a few videos. They really don't obey the normal 'rules'.

So where do the west african gaboon's and these.... My Monocled Cobra - YouTube sit in the scheme of things????
They do not make the top ten in terms of toxicity of their venom. I do not know the approximate number but I would say that there are likely over 100 species of snake that can deliver a fatal bite. So in any short list, a lot will miss out.

Blue

What was the name of the green and black one. He was gorgeous looking colour.

Boomslang! Apparently the male is green the female yellow? I utubed boomslang snake, and there's some idiots handling them. Check it out for a laugh at the boomslang snake vs man. I was just waiting for him to get bitten.

Last edited:
mmm might be hard to convince me that a skink is a taipan lol.....
and i love especially how people still call the mulga a king brown. infact a customer told me the other day he killed a king brown on his doorstep as it was threatening his wife, we shoudnt even have mulgas in far north coast nsw....

i love the saw scale viper too, its a nice looking animal

I don't have a problem with the use of King Brown, it descriptive of a large typically brown snake.
To those who don't care, trying to explain that it's actually a Black snake when they clearly saw a brown snake would seem a little hard to swallow.
To those who do care they'll know what your talking about anyway.
This is why they are called common names because it is what they are commonly referred to
In WA I rarely hear the term Mulga the common name is King Brown, The local snake is a Dugite and for the most part in the suburbs they don't overlap with each other and it's not to often I hear our true local Brown snake being described as a King Brown.
Personally I prefer Pseudechis australis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back