Boyd or Angle head?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobrakai

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
I have set up a Rainforest enclosure which is 2'x2'x2' which is a starting enclosure while build the main one. But i need help deciding between the boyd or angle head. It will be a main feature in my lounge room so i want something with bright colours. But i also want to handle it from time to time. I live in Brisbane and will be buying one of the other in a few days.
Cheers
Aaron

I've never kept either of the two...but I was recently up herping northern Qld and Boyds are awesome, they do grow bigger than angle headed dragons though.

If you want something with bright colours, go the Boyds. If you handle them regularly, they should get somewhat used to it!

Somewhat used to it as in wont bite as often or will become more settled and less likely to do a runner off your hand?

get a Boyd's Angle Headed Dragon. Isn't that the name?

I recommenced a little book called 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards', edited by Mike Swan. So this is coming from this book:

Boyds/Angle Enclosure for 1x Male and 2x Female = 120cmH x 60cm x 40cm

While the book doesn't mention handling (I don't think) I would think that these are more of a display animal rather then one you can handle.

I have 3 Angle Head Dragons and they are fantastic :) they are about the size of my pointer finger and are kept in a 90x45x45 and they still look tiny compare to the cage. They will be getting upgraded once they are older. I would go the Angle Head Dragons if i was you, but it is your choice not mine.

I wouldnt suggest handling either species a great deal more than necessary ie. moving cages, cleaning. They can stress very easily and sulk. Definately more of a display animal. Kept and bred both for years. Boyds would be my fave of the 2.

Yeah I went an angle head once I saw the little guys side by side there was no choice the angles just seemed to have more personality. Had him a week now and very happy with him.

Boyds i would keep inside in brisbane. they will better tolerate the hot summer days inside as long as there is enough cool water for them to cool down in.
As for the angle heads it may get a bit hot inside for them.
unless your keep the lounge room cool enough, I would keep my angle heads out side as I do all year round in brissy.

i kept boyds in nthn nsw- they do best with running water in the enclosure, keeps humidity up. IE a waterfall with reticulated water. my climate similar to brisbane , and they definitely not happy to be handled- stresses them .Great to keep, and very showy animals.

I have kept and bred both! And although Boyd's are faster prettier and overall nicer they are touch animals if someone says the Handel Boyd's and the Boyd likes it there a liar. if you have never kept them before get angle heads there less touchy Handel slightly better and easier to keep. they do both however required humidity and they only drink running water so that is of main concern a lot of new keepers to these species always have problems because of dehydration look at the Boyd sticky in Aus lizards.

You made a good choice! :)

Here's some pics for you

7cb0362c-4557-fbbc.jpg
7cb0362c-459b-7900.jpg
7cb0362c-45a7-4870.jpg
7cb0362c-45b9-c3e6.jpg

Cheers Brenton

Last edited:
Beautiful pics mate, yeah I have a large exo terra waterfall with a fogger(on timer) and the humidity always stays between 70 and 85% I also have a Mister system that comes on every two days for a few mins to get some droplets on the leaves etc incase he won't drink from the waterfall. I have a small inch deep bonsai plant dish in which I drop his food and he jumps down from his branch to devour the crickets. He has started to get used to my hands being in the enclosure and has even climbed onto my hand unassisted at times. Very happy with the little guy hope he gets some nice colours. Thanks to everyone on aps for their help and advice from enclosure to feeding and everything in between.

hey mate the enclosure sounds good! only thing to be careful is the fogger. i had a fogger in my angle headed enclosure and after a week i moved a bit of the critters crumble and underneath it was a giant puddle of water! you might have better luck though. hope so.. good luck with em. they are great lizards to keep.

Hey, I have the fogger set on a timer to be on for 5-10mins an hour depending on the time of day. That way it won't use too much water but enough to keep humidity high. I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks for the heads up.
A few pics
IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back