Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonOwner25

Reaction score
I have been using fake grass mats and marine carpet as my substrate for my pythons. all are washed down every two weeks with hot water. What do you guys use and what do you think is "the best" type of substrate or flooring for your pythons enclosure? :rolleyes:

Used everything frrom Newspaper to Aspen bedding - I currently use Kritters Crumble for all of my pythons - looks good, easy to clean, I love it.

I use Kritters Crumble for my lizards but im not sure about using it foe snakes, because "if" you end up with mites then it would be extremely hard to get rid of the buggers, that's why i use newspaper and marine carpet mats. I have also heard that fake grass is bad for snakes due to the coarseness of it but i dunno...

Newspaper. We used fake grass to begin with but it's way too much work to keep clean and I reckon my snakes enjoy reading the articles anyway.

What I use and find gr8 for both my womas and jungles is rice hulls, Both breeds love to dig around in it more so the womas. I think I pay $70 for a wool bale bag full. I also use it for my rats so it's very versatile. I think it is gr8.

I've gone to Superior Wood Shavings.. Looks quite nice like Aspen, but nowhere near as expensive.. I pay around $15 for 15k bales.
The main reason I like it is because of the light colour, it really makes your snakes stand out (if you're into that sort of thing and want them on display).

I am just going to use home made wood shavings that comes out of our Plainer. I have Astro-turf too. Would shredded newspaper be good?

i like my snakes to know whats goin on in the world, so i throw them a newspaper or two:)

dont use kitty litter please, it can very easily dehydrate the snake and suck all the moisture out of the tank. For me its fake grass, newspaper or shredded newspaper

I use the astroturf and don't see how it is hard to keep clean. I pick up the stools with paper towel as they are dry ad firm and I give them a good hose off when I clean the tank properly.

I use Kritters Crumble for my lizards but im not sure about using it foe snakes, because "if" you end up with mites then it would be extremely hard to get rid of the buggers.

Why would they be any harder to get rid of? You would change the substrate, treat and disinfect the enclosure and fittings as you would if using newspaper

I use Kritters for my displays and in my womas tub as he loves to dig thru it, I remove a fair bit around the mess when spot cleaning and replaces it completely monthly. I still use paper towel and newspaper for hatchies though

in the past I have used breeders choice and it was good but every now and then the snakes would have a bad shed and require assistance so I ended up with a water bowl at both ends. I have just switched over to kritter crumble and will see how it goes. It looks great and my spotted python loves digging through it.

Cheers
James

Kritters crumble looks good smells good and easy to clean out

iv just got red sand in my tank.. my spotted is still in his click clack though which has the sand in it also.
and the sane makes the desert theme thing look really good :)

I've tested a wide variety of substrates and can argue the pros and cons of them all. I grow weary of keepers who try one thing, think it works and argue everything else is some sort of faux pas. Its just seems to highlight ignorance. Most can work given the right micro climate and that cage conditions are calculated and fine tuned. As a result I move between certain favourite substrates but don't limit myself and my reptiles to just the one, homogenous cage flooring. Changing between them is a type of enrichment I find, too.

I dont have any substrate in my bredlis enclosure (Stein Enclosure) as the flooring combines with the wall being fibreglass. In prep for my new darwin pair ths friday my two hatchy enclosures will have different substrates, one will have newspaper (clickclack) and wild crystal for my little display enslosure. I used wild crystal in it before with my bredli and it had positives and of cause the negatives, but I really like the colour contrast so thats why i'm getting it again. If I wasn't that fussy I would prob go with aspen bedding, I liked it more that the cocnut stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back