Help Please - Angry Coastal!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1gsxr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'd like some advice if possible. I have a female Coastal Python, have had her for nigh on 3 years now ever she was a hatchie. She has generally been very well natured (after her juvie snappings, bites etc) She has now located to a larger enclosure (yes the heating is correct) and has been there for about.. 3-6mths and of late she has been a real BITCH. She has bitten and latched onto me now 3 times, and all times the only way to get her off was to put her head under hot water.. (her body constricts my hand while she's latched on..). She is fed well on jumbo rats now and her enclosure is cleaned and looked after well. She was always good to get out when people were over and she would be cool with everyone. If anything in the past 2mths or so I have handled her less, that would be the only difference I guess from normal but she would still come out at least once every 2 weeks..

This has put a real shadow over her for me and to be honest I'm thinking that I will get rid of her if she keeps this up. I got a coastal because they are supposed to be a good starter and a placid snake.. and I guess she has been. Till now! I also have a female jungle and she is fine to handle..

So what do ya's think, I do believe I have a good understanding of these animals but am always ready to listen to other people in the hope that I may learn something new..

Regards Dave

Last edited:
To get a python who is latched on to you to let go, blow into it's face, and the corner of the open mouth, that'll get it to let go straight away. Don't have to get to a water source for that!!!!!!!!!

Ok, Warm water.. Don't forget man, her head/teeth was buried deep into my hand, not real comfortable, so when cold water didn't do the trick I eased in some warm water till she let go.

I could be wrong.... but the constricting would indicate perhaps a feed response? I know you say she is on jumbo rats, but maybe she needs more frequent feeds or 2 jumbo rats? maybe a wascally wabbit? I am just throwing my 2 cents worth in :)

Hi Crystal, I see what you mean bout the feeding issue, I don't think she is hungry as I believe I feed her enough. When she got hold of me last it was after a short while of handling, maybe 5mins? not when I'm getting her out of her enclosure. Last time she did me she constricted on my hand hard, so I put my hand with her on it into the enclosure thinking she would get off me an go in but instead she struck me and would not let go, hence the warm water trick.

Hi Crystal, I see what you mean bout the feeding issue, I don't think she is hungry as I believe I feed her enough. When she got hold of me last it was after a short while of handling, maybe 5mins? not when I'm getting her out of her enclosure. Last time she did me she constricted on my hand hard, so I put my hand with her on it into the enclosure thinking she would get off me an go in but instead she struck me and would not let go, hence the warm water trick.
It may not be food related, would be interesting to give her more just to see lol my solution is always to throw food at something thats cranky heh heh heh works with dogs kids and Men ;) maybe she is due to shed? PMS? or would that be PSS lol

At her age her hormones should be starting to kick in especially if shes of decent size and weight. Put up with it for a few months, cool her, then get her a mate and then you get lots a little biters

Just a silly thought, but had you been eating chicken before you handled her? A mates jungle goes ballistic and bites and wraps if you have the smell of chicken on you. Can you remember if you had been handling rats or eating chook the day she got you?
Maybe try using reptihand/F10 or some other reptile gel before you handle her next? Might mask any yummy smells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back