feeding your snake Question(newbee)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth-Girl

Reaction score
Hi all,
Another Newbee Question. When I take my snake out and put him in a feed tub or what ever(don't want to feed him in enclosure)How do you know when it is time to pick him up/put him back in his enclosure..thanks Cloe..

Why not feed him in his enclosure. I do and my coastal never tries to bite. But if you don't want to do that I would leave him for 20-30 mins and then carefully put him back in his enclosure

the rat should be in the middle of the snakes belly, or just put the tub in the enclosure and let the snake climb out at its own free will:)

Feed in encloser I feed my 7 year old in it never bite feed my hacties :) you won't have a problem

I feed both mine in their enclosures. I wiggle wigle wiggle wigle wiggle yeah... 4 the 1st and my 2nd i place mouse on his rock and the rest is history.

hey not telling you what to do but i feed my snakes in the enclosures and havent had a problem and know alot of people that do the same, you can risk regurgitation by moving them around after they have eaten i tend to leave mine in their enclosure without handling them for 2 days or til i know the food has passed through just the way i do it and never had a problem :)

I feed mine on a piece of carpet and when there finished I put the hide box next to them,in they go,and back into the cage they go.

MSMM1red.jpgThanks heaps guys. I am not feeding in tube or anywhere at the moment. Haven't got my snake yet. Will have him in 2 weeks and he is my first. Just that I heard if you feed snake in enclosure he will asociate opening enclosure with food and bite me..I am a bit nervous about that as he is 16 months old and where I am getting him from(Reptile Teritory)said he bites when you scare him..Here is the pic from shop site..Thanks heaps Cloe..

Hi all,
Another Newbee Question. When I take my snake out and put him in a feed tub or what ever(don't want to feed him in enclosure)How do you know when it is time to pick him up/put him back in his enclosure..thanks Cloe..

why dont you want to feed him in his enclosure? if you are worried about being bitten. He is more likely to bit you just after feeding, because he might still be in a feeding responce when you are putting him away. if he is housed alone i would just feed him in his enclosure and dont handle for the rest of the day after feeding.

View attachment 243531Thanks heaps guys. I am not feeding in tube or anywhere at the moment. Haven't got my snake yet. Will have him in 2 weeks and he is my first. Just that I heard if you feed snake in enclosure he will asociate opening enclosure with food and bite me..I am a bit nervous about that as he is 16 months old and where I am getting him from(Reptile Teritory)said he bites when you scare him..Here is the pic from shop site..Thanks heaps Cloe..

if your nervous and the snake is flighty sometime maybe this isnt the right snake for you at this stage. get a hatchling as a bite wont deter you from holding it.

Last edited:
They more or less associate the enclosure opening with food if the snake is never handled. As long as u handle him frequently (say once or twice a week) and not just open the enclosure for food and cleaning he should be fine. If you are worried he might bite when opening the enclosure thinking there might be food, just wait 30'ish seconds and he should see then you don't have any food. This is what I do when I'm cleaning out enclosures at the Reptile Centre.

Personally, I feed one of my snakes in their enclosures and the other outside of their enclosure. I chose to feed them this way, as I have one spotted who eats straight away without any distractions. My second snake however gets distracted too easily and would rather stay in her hide or climb on something rather than eat. I have left the food in their for 2-3 hours at least and she has refused to touch it, however she eats straight away or within 5 minutes removed from her enclosure. I place her in another enclosure placed in he own enclosure, the moment she starts to eat I will take the lid off the enclosure so she can get out when she is ready.

I have heard of the idea you dont feed in thier enclosure, take them out to feed.... but I dont go along with that idea. You also shouldnt handle them for a couple of days after they eat?? you cant do both.
All of my enclosures are either 2 sliding doors or 2 open out doors. When I feed them, it is thru the right hand door. Everyhing else I open the left hand door, so they associate food with the right hand door (my right)

A friend (with a single side opening door) always uses repti-hand or F10 to wash his hands before handling snake or poop picking etc, but not when he is feeding the snake. If his hands smell of gel, the snake doesnt expect food, it knows something else is on the cards.

What ever you decide is right for you and your snake, no worries, I just dont like to risk the snake regurgitating when you take it out of the tub after feeding.

Enjoy your snake when you get it

I had my 2 spotteds in an enclosure together and fed them at the same time. One is about 1400 long, the other is 1550 long. The first time I did it, they both ate at the same speed. The last time I did it, the littler one (garbage guts!) demolished the rat at warp speed, the bigger one was still finding the pointy end. Lucky I was watching, the little one was after the others rat and actually started grabbing onto the tail :shock: so I had to keep the smaller one away with the hook, til the other finished eating. Now they have an enclosure each :D

View attachment 243531Thanks heaps guys. I am not feeding in tube or anywhere at the moment. Haven't got my snake yet. Will have him in 2 weeks and he is my first. Just that I heard if you feed snake in enclosure he will asociate opening enclosure with food and bite me..I am a bit nervous about that as he is 16 months old and where I am getting him from(Reptile Teritory)said he bites when you scare him..Here is the pic from shop site..Thanks heaps Cloe..

This has never made sense to me. Because you're taking it out of the enclosure to feed it, then surely by the same logic it would associate coming out of the enclosure with feeding and go in 'feeding mode' whenever you take it out to handle it?

I have heard of the idea you dont feed in thier enclosure, take them out to feed.... but I dont go along with that idea. You also shouldnt handle them for a couple of days after they eat?? you cant do both.
All of my enclosures are either 2 sliding doors or 2 open out doors. When I feed them, it is thru the right hand door. Everyhing else I open the left hand door, so they associate food with the right hand door (my right)
:D

I do the same he people think ya silly baha but mine noes what door he comes out and what door the food comes through :) works

I'm a newbie to, with a baby the same age nag type as cloe-python. I feed him in his enclosure, because I'm still a little wary of him, I use a hook to get him out, then he just slides onto my hand no dramas, so then I know I won't get bitten. I got this advice from a reptile vet, don't know if it's the norm to use a hook, I'm very gentle, I only raise him a couple of inches of his rock, then put my hand under and he slides right on.

I'm a newbie to, with a baby the same age nag type as cloe-python. I feed him in his enclosure, because I'm still a little wary of him, I use a hook to get him out, then he just slides onto my hand no dramas, so then I know I won't get bitten. I got this advice from a reptile vet, don't know if it's the norm to use a hook, I'm very gentle, I only raise him a couple of inches of his rock, then put my hand under and he slides right on.

Why not just reach in the an pick him up if u do that they will get used to it for when they are bigger other wise u will need a hook for ever ??

Cause I'm a scardey cat! I'm slowly getting the hang if picking him up, I've only had him 3 weeks, I keep thinking I'll hurt him, and he'll bite me! I pick him up everyday, unless he's just had a feed, then I leave him a couple of days till he's pooped. I think he's in she'd at the moment, so I'm waiting till that's finished to pick him up again. He was badly treated before I got him, he hasn't bitten me yet, but bit my brother the first time he handled him.

I am an in enclosure feeder. Was always worried about handling strait after their feed to put them back into enclosure. Just not logical.

My Bredli can be a bit cage defensive.

Use a hook to get him out of enclosure, but once he is out he is a great big sook.

So hook = outside play time, not feed time.

Seems to have worked so far, both great feeders, both have yet to tag me.

Hope that this is helpful.

I feed my stimson in a container as recommended by breeder(this is how he was being fed already) as depending on the bedding your using it wont contaminate the food and everything stays cleaner. I also use this time to clean his enclosure and change things around, once the food is over half way down i just put the container in his enclosure and he makes his own way out no stress what so ever. Every one will have their own preference and reasons :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back