feeding your snake Question(newbee)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are awsome!!! Thanks sooooo much for all your feedback.. I will feed him in the enclosure as I really wanted 2 anyway..Cloe..

I figure my boy seems smart enough to smell the mouse... now if I had been handling mice or rats and then reached into the tank I would wonder if I would get tagged.

I wear a disposable glove too, so once ive touched the mouse, then touch him, he won't smell food, and not bite me!

I do the same he people think ya silly baha but mine noes what door he comes out and what door the food comes through :) works

mate your kidding yourself. If he is hungry and in feed mode, you smell like food he will bite no matter what door you put your hand in. give it a go Id love to see the photos lol

im a newbee to this too, i feed mine on the table in a pillowcase. once the mouse is down and you can see the lump in his tummy, i hold the case up to the enclosure and he goes into his hidey spot to digest. No probs so far.

mate your kidding yourself. If he is hungry and in feed mode, you smell like food he will bite no matter what door you put your hand in. give it a go Id love to see the photos lol

Your kidding ya self ya tool I ya feed ya snake every 2 weeks or what ever you do keep him happy when u open the door give him a min to see your not food and he is fine wake up to ya self you tool

I feed my stimson in a container as recommended by breeder(this is how he was being fed already) as depending on the bedding your using it wont contaminate the food and everything stays cleaner. I also use this time to clean his enclosure and change things around, once the food is over half way down i just put the container in his enclosure and he makes his own way out no stress what so ever. Every one will have their own preference and reasons :)

Yet that's good but what will you do when he is bigger 6-7 foot a container won't fit in most encloses for that big of a snake ? ( just asking )

Cirtus for got to say I wasn't the only one to say that so its not just me maybe you should open ya eyes and have a read :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Yes I believe he does and so does a few other people .. So it's not just me ... How long have you had snakes for ?

I have all so set all
My cages up so the feeding side it the hot side and cold side is the door I grab them out of cages are 1800 long so there not a small cage And I keep a 7 foot carpet in that so I don't no u can believe what you want but that's what I think and so do alot of other people

Last edited:
Yes I believe he does and so does a few other people .. So it's not just me ... How long have you had snakes for ?

if you truly belive this and not just taking the piss.... i dont think i'll waste my time.

How long have you had snakes for dude ? ???

I'm just saying that's what I have seen with mine and I no other people have as well just saying :)

Last edited:
ive kept and breed snakes for 20years which i have already told you when you asked via pm and like i said via pm can you show me one study that proves this.... you cant train your snake full stop it doesnt learn what end it feeds from and what end it gets taken out from. please do some research before posting false info when a new person is asking

I never once said train not once you can't train a snake to do anything ..
I was saying from MY SNAKES I found that works for mine hot end the get feed cold end I take them out full stop :)

Last edited:
( sorry for my input I see it means nothing and I'm wrong even tho I'm not the only one here that has said that ) :D

you said " mine knows what door he comes out and what door the food comes through" so he learnt this?

No it's the fact I feed him through one door and take him out the other but I don't just grab him I give him a min or two just to see I'm not food

I feed all mine out side their enclosures as they get to stecth out in the sun I notice they seem to respond quicker to feeding then wait about 30 mins then place them in their enclosures I have 12 and I do it with all of them since they were hatchies

im the same.. a big scardy cat :) i am doing exactly the same as u with my 4 month old, using the hook to get him out, and it works perfectly!! who cares if u always gotta use a hook?? ;) lol

I feed all mine out side their enclosures as they get to stecth out in the sun I notice they seem to respond quicker to feeding then wait about 30 mins then place them in their enclosures I have 12 and I do it with all of them since they were hatchies

(just asking :D how do ya snakes get along ? I would love to do that with mine but I'm just abit toeie getting my to baby's out in the sun together (feed in separate tanks ) but just out side together

I don't know about 'training' your snake but from what I have observed and the anecdotal evidence give to me by mates who have had snakes for 20+yrs each; I beieve a snake can become accustomed to things. Mine would hide and watch me from a far when doing stuff in his tank and now he will stretch to within an inch of my hand to check out what I am doing, he has 'learned' that my hand is not a threat to him. Just because a study does not exist how can Citrus or anyone else say what is or isn't working for Jake. Likewise Jake if you are holding your hand there for your snake to observe that you aren't food who is to say if you did the same thing at the warm end that the reaction would be any different... have you tried it?

I got well tagged a few nights ago because I grabbed him without warning, not because he mistook me for food but as a defensive reaction to being surprised. I still grab him by hand but I used my hook tonight just to get him somewhere more accessible before getting a hold by hand. If you feel more comfortable with a hook to get an initial hold more power to you, your nerves will probably lessen with experience but you do what you are comfortable with.

I love the you're wrong, I'm right air to a lot of these posts. At the end of the day we read other peoples thoughts and we try what we feel comfortable doing. So long as it works and your snake isn't suffering for it what's the big deal? I must admit before I got my Spotted yearling I was going to feed in a seperate tub but I haven't bothered, he hasn't mistaken me for food, he isn't agressive when I put my hand in and I haven't needed tongs or anything. Personally I also don't clean the tank at feeding time I usually do a spot clean as soon as he poops and then that Sat/Sun is cleaning day. Astroturf makes that an easy 10min job.

Enjoy your snakes guys, you'll only feel like a noob until you figure out what works for you. 8)

I don't know about 'training' your snake but from what I have observed and the anecdotal evidence give to me by mates who have had snakes for 20+yrs each; I beieve a snake can become accustomed to things. Mine would hide and watch me from a far when doing stuff in his tank and now he will stretch to within an inch of my hand to check out what I am doing, he has 'learned' that my hand is not a threat to him. Just because a study does not exist how can Citrus or anyone else say what is or isn't working for Jake. Likewise Jake if you are holding your hand there for your snake to observe that you aren't food who is to say if you did the same thing at the warm end that the reaction would be any different... have you tried it?

I got well tagged a few nights ago because I grabbed him without warning, not because he mistook me for food but as a defensive reaction to being surprised. I still grab him by hand but I used my hook tonight just to get him somewhere more accessible before getting a hold by hand. If you feel more comfortable with a hook to get an initial hold more power to you, your nerves will probably lessen with experience but you do what you are comfortable with.

I love the you're wrong, I'm right air to a lot of these posts. At the end of the day we read other peoples thoughts and we try what we feel comfortable doing. So long as it works and your snake isn't suffering for it what's the big deal? I must admit before I got my Spotted yearling I was going to feed in a seperate tub but I haven't bothered, he hasn't mistaken me for food, he isn't agressive when I put my hand in and I haven't needed tongs or anything. Personally I also don't clean the tank at feeding time I usually do a spot clean as soon as he poops and then that Sat/Sun is cleaning day. Astroturf makes that an easy 10min job.

Enjoy your snakes guys, you'll only feel like a noob until you figure out what works for you. 8)

See probley should of used the word accustomed :) big word haha but Gruni is right :)

Critus you say you have been doing it for 20 years+ breeding ( not saying you havnt) but have you not noticed little things like Gruni said there ? Or are we just all wrong ?

Jake, I wasn't weighing into a p!zzing contest. You two have your argument I was trying to get back to giving the op and other new owners a bit of peace of mind. I trained my dog very differently to how other friends train theirs yet she is a beautiful and well mannered girl. Snake husbandry likewise has many different points of view my mate here and the one in Armidale both have very different perspectives yet their snakes are healthy and well cared for... and I have learned HEAPS from both of them.

BTW Jake you also overlooked that I questioned your observations about the warm and cold end of the tank approach because I am not taking sides in your argument. If you and Citrus want to continue debating the 'rights and wrongs' of snake behaviour and etc start a new thread and have at it, and I'll bet after 2000views and hundreds of posts you still won't get a consensus on how to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back