Feeding snakes - in enclosure or outside enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake007

Reaction score
Would like to no how many people (1) feed there snake in there enclosure ?? And 2 how many people feed through one door and grab there snake out of the other ?

Pretty much asking how many people feed in the same spot every time and try and get there snake out of the same spot most of the time . ??

Haha topic title doesn't look right :D

In the enclosure AND have started to just put the rat on the floor instead holding it for her and she is a lot quieter and less excitable snake for doing that and just takes the rat calmly.

Has he ever mistaken you for a rat when I have reached in to pull him out ?

I just sold him but he never once bit me. Only time he ever struck at me was when I watched him eat and I don't think he was too happy about me moving around. But if he was in the strike position I wouldn't stick my hand in there. I also used to clean his enclosure out with him just sitting on his branches watching me. I found that if you hold them during the day they are a lot easier to handle and we have always fed after 7pm at least.

Yer just so it's all ways nite you feed him ? So he will get used to not beening feed while it's day time ? Or just that's cause it was Easyer for you at nite ?

Just easier I guess. And they seem to be more comfortable eating when it's dark. Our water python was always hungry, I don't think he'd care what time it was. He just went the glass over and over till you walked out. I would never stick my hand in his enclosure. Nasty thing he was. But I honestly don't think it had anything to do with being fed in there, he was just out to get everyone and everything.

I think we did feed them a few times during the day but mostly at night after we'd eaten dinner and none ever refused a feed.

Haha there's all ways one snake that's wants more haha hope I never get one :O nah good challenge thanks

I feed in the enclosures, and sometimes I get tagged but is always my fault I have them so that if they see the hook it means time to come out, never use my hand to get them out, I like them being trained like that, only way I ever get tagged is say I think one is in one hide so I pick a different hide up and I have 1 finger poking in the cave to pick it up, I feel little needles tag me then see a python freak out cause it realizes I'm not food lol I swear they don't keen to bite us is just instinct and can almost hear mine say ssssssorry after woulda :p only ever happens when I slack off and don't find them befor I start to empty the enclosure for feed time

I feed my 7ft BHP in his enclosure, he is a placid fella, i drag the rat round is his enclosure, its large, n then i place on a rock sit back and enjoy the show, never ever come close to being tagged, my stimmies the same, they are alittle more excited when feeding i place in enclosure and out they come, all sweet in the world

i feed all my snakes in the enclosures i dont bother putting it in the same spot or get them out in the same spot as this makes no difference.

Both of mine are fed in their enclosures, and they eat wherever they catch the rat - I don't try and make them go into a specific area of the tank :)

Both of mine are fed in their enclosures, and they eat wherever they catch the rat - I don't try and make them go into a specific area of the tank :)

By catch I didn't mean they are fed live rats haha my bad.. I mean wherever they grab it from my hand :) could have been said better lol

My Stimson's I usually like to take out...but my Bredli (being 6 + foot) strikes to hard and fast so i feed him in his enclosure. he hits with so much force that I wouldn't be game to feed him outside just incase he missed and nailed me haha!

I take all of my snakes out of their enclosure into feeding tubs, The tubs smell like rats and the snakes know when they go in their feeding tubs they are getting fed because they instantly turn from placid to phsyco, They stay in the feeding tub for an hour or 2 before they are placed back in their enclosures. allways done it that way and never had any issues.

And i very rarely get bitten as my snakes dont associate the door opening as them getting food. works a treat :D

I don't know if there is any correlation but from my personal experience, after I switched from feeding outside to inside, my usually very placid snakes get into strike mode when I try to take them out. I used to be able to take them out by hand with no dramas, but after feeding in the enclosure for a few months I now need to use a hook to get them out. They're back to their usual placid selves once out. I have experienced this with the 3 of my snakes, just my personal experience.

For my new pythons I now feed them outside, will see if this results in them being more relaxed/not expecting food everytime I swing open the enclosure doors.

I feed hatchies in separate feed tub because I like to handle them whenever I can without being ridiculous, my yearling I have started to feed in his enclosure just to see if it makes a difference... nope so he is all good :) I have fed my new 2.5 year old in her enclosure because it was more convenient..... I am changing that next time to a tub, I fed her yesterday and today I reached in to change her water and she tagged me a beauty (round the same time I fed her yesterday) I am guessing she associated my hand with food? AND my damn camera was flat :facepalm: first decent tag I have had bled like a stuck pig lol I never have set times for feeding though I always mix it up...

I feed mine in their enclosures as well. I also tap train them. I have a long plastic stick, which I use to tap them on the head before I pick them up. So even at night when they are looking for food, I can open the door, tap them on the head and they're as good as gold.

Sorry, can't help but the thread title made me lol...
'Pull ya snake out'

Snakes have a very acute sense of smell,they know when food is coming long before you open their enclosure door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back