Golden orb spider

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, we had lots of rain and wind here earlier this week and this girl decided our patio was the perfect place to shelter. My partner is completely arachnaphobic and after calming him down he agreed she wasn't hurting anyone and could stay.

Since then however, a tiny male has visited and she has what appears to be an egg sack behind her. And now my partner wants her gone.

Neither of us want to kill her but have no idea if relocation is possible.

Any ideas?

79de8f6b-ba78-3d18.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, taken with iPhone in very bright sunlight!

Not a Golden Orb, but a St Andrews Cross.
You're okay with mum but not the babies? The babies will be about 1mm in size.
If you still need her gone, you could move her/or just the egg sac.
The eggs are safer while with her as they are in the web, but mum doesn't really have any mothering duties.
Once they hatch, they generally disperse with the wind.

I think he's worried that once they hatch we'll have spiders everywhere. Being petrified of spiders he's not too keen about it.

Hey I've got one exactly the same at my place! There must be hundreds of spiders sheltering in Townsville patios at the moment :) I prefer the spiders to all the stupid bloody ants that are EVERYWHERE inside my house....

just get a forked branch and sweep the spider up between the forks, if you do it right you won't damage too much of the web, then just put the stick and spider somewhere where she can make a new home.....

thats what i do when the spiders build webs along my garden path....

We always have ants. They live in our walls I think. I can't stand them! Clean the kitchen, 30 minutes later they are on the bench again doing god knows what! Little buggers!

get rid of ants

Try diluted peppermint oil ants hate the smell and over time dont come inside anywhere u use and prepare food 1drop on damp dishcloth around windowsills etc a bit more to wash floors a good few drops in bucket I wipe arond rubbish bins etc with pretty much straight oil on damp cloth.

Not a Golden Orb, but a St Andrews Cross.
You're okay with mum but not the babies? The babies will be about 1mm in size.
If you still need her gone, you could move her/or just the egg sac.
The eggs are safer while with her as they are in the web, but mum doesn't really have any mothering duties.
Once they hatch, they generally disperse with the wind.

I've never seen baby St Andrews cross spiders, but if they're anything like other spiders you'll barely notice the babies. They're tiny. They might hang around for a couple of days and then they'll disappear. You certainly won't have spiders everywhere - well, no more than you already do!

We always have ants. They live in our walls I think. I can't stand them! Clean the kitchen, 30 minutes later they are on the bench again doing god knows what! Little buggers!
Good sign.. Means you have no termites. Ants mean no termites

She's still there. We decided to leave her be and she now has two egg sacks.

The ants will slow down now, dry season is upon us. :)

She's still there. We decided to leave her be and she now has two egg sacks.

The ants will slow down now, dry season is upon us. :)

The babies hatched!

7bd3e237-5b99-e2cc.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!
Last year we had baby spiders hatch in our bathroom, due to our no-kill household.
Really wish I moved it before it hatched as our bathroom was over-run with em lols.
Since yours hatched outside you guys should be cool, tell your hubby not to worry ;)

He's actually ok about them. They are all still just hanging out with mum in the web. I'm surprised cos it's been really windy here the last day or two and I though they would have been blown out.

How cute :D It wasn't that grass hopper's lucky day :rolleyes:

If you want to keep ants out, place some plastic bottle caps with some cinnamon in them around where they are in the house. They will take it to the nest and it will be gone. I mop my tiles with kitten car wash (the green one with eucalyptus) and any insects walk or land on it turn up thier toes :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back