How fast do snakes grow?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathyrich

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering how long does it take for snakes to fully grow?
I bought a wheatbelt stimmy from snake ranch about two weeks ago, shes a hatchling about 4 months old now, how long will it be before she is big enough for a bigger tank, i just have her in a click clack now but wondering when i will need to set up something bigger. Shes my first snake so im in no hurry for her to grow, just curious is all.

Cheers Nath.

Anywhere from 18 - 36 mths, to be fully grown and sexually mature but really depends on a number of factors mainly the size and frequency of feeds. As for the enclosure question I would keep it in a click clack for it's first year, increasing the size of the tub as it grows. Then move it into a full size enclosure after that

Mine are currently 15 months old (stimson's) and they are just over 70cm. I fed mine rats as soon s I could. Rats a more nutrient rich and promote growth, as soon as you can go pinkie rats (which she dshould be on now) then fuzzies then hoppers!

Feed her 40 percent of her body weight straight after she poos every time and shell grow super fast,

Feed her once every two months and shell still be healthy bit grow very slow.

Your question is way to open ended.

Wot Jesus said ^I would be setting up something bigger now and put the click clack into the bigger enclosure with the lid off. Then your snake can choose to stay in the click clack or venture out into the bigger enclosure. I dont see the problem with small snakes in bigger enclosures? My 4 month old MDP is now in a 600x300x300 glass enclosure.I put him in it when I got him. As long as he has plenty of hides and a warm end/cool end he should be right. Like someone said in another thread, baby snakes in the wild are born in a huge enclosure (the world) and they deal with it?

My stimmie will be 4 yrs next week.....he's 700 grams and just over a metre long now. He was just a year old when I got him and about 70 cm long. I've only ever fed him mice. I thought about putting him on to small rats recently, but they are more expensive than mice and being on the pension.... I have to watch my pennies !! My boy was never in a click clack from the time I got him, but he was in a boxed area about 45 cm square till he was about 18 months old. He's now permanently in a viv twice that size, and he'll stay in that sized viv. We were given measurements needed for an adult stimmie and we were told what we have is fine for the rest of his life. He has a top shelf to rest on, a ceramic tile with heat coil under it and 3 hides.

Cool thanks for everyones opinions, i currently feed her one pinkie mouse a week, i dont think shes big enough for pinkie rats yet. Like i said shes my first snake so i have no hands on experience only what i have read in books and the internet, so any advice is appreciated.

Also i see what you said captain about putting them in a bigger enclosure, shes always exploring her tank when shes not hiding and as soon as i open the lid she slides out and onto my hand readily, i think she would be fine in a larger enclosure.

Last edited:
My 2 year old spotted is just ove z1 metre long and will take a sub rat if offered and is in a 4foot tank

Feed her 40 percent of her body weight straight after she poos every time and shell grow super fast,

Feed her once every two months and shell still be healthy bit grow very slow.

Your question is way to open ended.
should be feeding a little more then one every 2 months, should be very 1- 2 weeks for a young growing snake

should be feeding a little more then one every 2 months, should be very 1- 2 weeks for a young growing snake
What hes saying is that even if you fed it once every 2 months and it would still be healthy but grow slowly. So the point hes trying to make is it depends on how much you feed it

Depends on how much its fed, the temperature of the enclosure & the genetics.... Obviously the more its fed and more frequently the snake is fed, the snake wil grow quicker. (but dont over feed it or it may become overweight and casue you future problems such as spinal problems). The warmer the tank is (keeping it at its ideal temperature) will cause it to grow healthier and quicker. & genetics... well larger parents will primarily cause they snake to grow quicker IMO

It defiantely depends on when you feed them and the environment. We have a Coastal Yearling that come to us 6 months ago at only 20cm long...he was still eating pinky mice and even then it was only once a month. We gave him a bigger click clack, moderated the temps, moved him onto rats and fed him once a week...initially he wouldnt eat the rats..so we started snipping the nose on them, started with pinky, went through a pack, up to velvets, went through a pack...then fuzzys...now he is about 1.5 metres and eating 2 hoppers every 5 days... :) Buuuttt he is a coastal, and then tend to grow rapidly when you keep the feeding up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back