Log hide??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth-Girl

Reaction score
Hi All,
Got this 1700mm long hollow log for a hide for my Coastal..What does ya think..yes/no..
..Thanks Cloe..
2012-03-24 16.37.02.jpg2012-03-24 16.37.20.jpg2012-03-24 16.37.59.jpg

Take it to someone with a bandsaw and cut the bottom third off so it sits flat on the ground and you can get him out if you need to... other than that yep +1 for the nice natural look.

Great piece of wood, great find.
I wouldn't cut it. If he is in there he wants to hide.
Leave him be.

Question: Why do I have to get him out of it??Please explain..
Okkk this may never happen to you and I hope it doesnt.... but I needed to get all my guyz out because of a mite infested new snake(yes she was quarantined as best as possible) But I needed to treat all of them and their enclosures/stuff for mites.... Soooo I was very glad of my choice NOT to put in hides that would make it difficult to get them out of :)

I bet after all that effort your snake doesn't use it anyway... I go to heaps of effort to find/buy stuff that I think my lot'll like, treating it, cleaning it etc... and what do they use by choice? cardboard boxes, or hide under the newspaper flooring. unappreciative so and so's...

It looks fantastic. The only thing that I worry about with real logs, is what is in them already? ie, termites, parasites etc.... I dont want to be a party pooper, sorry.

If I were going to use it, I would spray some F10 on/in it, then wrap it airtight in black plastic (under concrete type) and leave it in the sun for a few weeks first, sort of like quarantine. Hopefully that would 'cook' any greeblies hiding in it.

I can sure see why you want to use it, I would certainly want to, thats for sure :)

Or you could drop it a couple of times so the crawlies leave and just put it in the enclosure

Last edited:
I use real logs for Gorgoo and monty lol i often rip a fresh bunch a gum leaves of for them too. I did find my logs had a few ants inside however i just hosed them and gave em a bang. I have had no issues and the way i see it is they climb on all sorts of stuff in the wild....as long as u r sure it hasnt been sprayed with chemicals a few ants aint going to hurt them.

Blew the whole thing out with high pressure air hose with long nossle that went right down the inside..Cloe..

well i would say its ready to go! i bet your new guy loves it :)

Post pics when you get it in. Wohoo interior design is cool!

^ depends what sort of ants. Even some ordinary little black ones sting pretty bad, (especially the ones around here) I still think for my snakes safety, I personally would do the plastic thing. You would hate yourself if your snake was hurt or died and you found there was a millipede or something hidden inside where the hose couldnt reach. At least the F10 and high heat from the sun and black plastic would kill anything living, even in nooks and crannies.

You quarantine everything else? :facepalm: Besides, banging it on the ground a few times might damage it? Maybe if you are close to the beach, dunk it in the salt water for a while? Then dry it and use it? might be an alternative

Nice hat BTW Darlyn :lol:

I know some people fill the bath tub with quite hot water and submerge it for a while and then out in the sun to dry out. As you can see in the pics on my profile Skittles is Lord of his own Castle but the rest of his enclosure is very naturalistic and he uses every inch of it. I just need to add a magnetic rock shelf to the back wall and it will be all finished.

Our snakes love their toys and we change them when they get a clean out. There is tons of stuff to hang on to. Bush timber, holey limestone and fake plants. Our philosophy is open the door and if they feel like coming out they do. Works for us.

^ Yea, toys are good. I have a crocodile head (one you put in a pool to look like there is a crock in your pool) in one of my spotties enclosure. He climbs on it, in its mouth..... always on it.... I think he is in looooove with it.... lol

Attachments

• Snakes feb 0212 070.jpg
    Snakes feb 0212 070.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back