Natural Cleaning Solutions ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mje772003

I was wondering if anyone uses something natural for cleaning out enclosures other than F10. Is there anyone around that uses natural solution sprays? I was wondering using a vinegar/water solution or a eucalyptus/water solution. but not sure of mixture ratios? Does anyone have any ideas etc as would love to hear peoples feedback.
As the more natural the less toxic for the animal

I have used white vinegar for years and have never had a problem. I put it in spray bottle, spray and wipe!! good on glass too!

I use vinegar and water. I just wet the towel and dab the vinegar bottle onto it, then leave the cage to air. It would be interesting to hear opinions on eucalyptus, it sure would smell good :)

diluted tea tree oil, organic citrus spray or vinegar

I use straight vinegar and then wipe off with a wet cloth, finish by buffing with paper towel/newspaper(gotta love those free papers thrown on the lawn. recycle recycle recycle lol )

Can't get more natural then straight water, never used f10 or anything similar, snakes are more likely to get sick if kept in medical like conditions as it does not help them build immunities to germs, each to their own but, I'll save my pennies for better things and stick with water!

What ratio's would you use for water/vinegar or water/eucalyptus or tea tree oil?

once in a while i may use F10 but most of the time i want to keep it natural as much as possible

Lol I just mix mine up randomly, As long as it's not 1/2-1/2 then it should be fine. What harm can WHITE! vinegar

Eucalypus oil, tea tree oil and citrus oil are all corrosive and cause neurologcal damage with prolonged exposure and use.

I use vinegar also, roughly 1:4 ratio. Have a google, there is tones of info on using vinegar as a cleaner. Great stain remover as well =P its supposably meant to be more effective then most disinfectants. Also for most effective results leave on for 20 minutes then wipe off. I did read thats how long it roughly takes to be most effectively. I just spray and walk away, whilst letting fake plants and hides soak, then come back wipe off and walla! Best thing is once its dry the odor disappears =P

Last edited:
Thanks mike would it be the same ratio using eucalyptus or tea tree oil?

Did you not read the about comments? Those products are HAZARDOUS! I wouldnt use them myself

According to this vinegar and bicarb clean, but don't disinfect. I'm sceptical of these studies to though. You can find an argument for or against anything these days. It's worth the read though to help you make a decision about natural versus chemical.

Natural disinfectants lack killer instinct, study shows - CNN

Natural Disinfectants lack killer instinct, Study shows:

Conventional disinfectants used in the experiment included Clorox, ethanol, Mr. Clean Ultra, Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner. Hospital disinfectants were TBQ, Vesphene and ethanol. Natural alternatives included vinegar and baking soda.
The good news was that all of the commercial disinfectants were very good, eliminating 99.9 percent or more of microbes, said William Rutala, professor of medicine at UNC. The bad news was that such natural products as vinegar and baking soda didnt work nearly as well.
An estimated 30 million foodborne infections occur each year, causing more than 9,000 deaths, Rutala said. Scientists also believe that more than two million hospitalacquired infections annually cause 19,000 deaths and contribute to another 58,000 fatalities. Contamination in daycare centers frequently leads to diarrhea and other diseases.
In their study, the scientists examined the effect of commercial and natural disinfectants on diseasecausing microbes during 30second and fiveminute exposures. The organisms used in the test included Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella choleraesuis, Escherichia coli 0157H7, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, poliovirus, and vancomycinsusceptible and vancomycinresistant Enterococcus species.
The commercial products killed almost all of the germs. The natural alternatives, vinegar and baking soda, paled in comparison, killing 90 percent or less of the germs.
Clorox and Lysol Disinfectant Spray fared especially well with the poliovirus microbe, doing away with more than 99.9 percent of the virus. Though poliovirus is virtually nonexistent in the United States, Rutala and his colleagues tested the virus because it is more difficult to kill and therefore provides a good indication of effective disinfecting properties.
The researchers conducted their study in large measure to test the claims of commercial manufacturers. Many products on the market are not tested against significant viruses and bacteria, said Rutala. Growing concern about emerging infectious diseases and antibioticresistant microbes also fueled their curiosity.
We now know that kitchen and bathroom surfaces in most homes show high levels of contamination that can lead to disease and that disinfectants can eliminate most of that contamination, Rutala said. What we dont know yet is whether disinfecting drains, taps, handles and toilet seats would actually decrease infection rates among family members. It may be that more direct contact in families such as touching, kissing, sneezing and sharing food or eating utensils plays a much bigger role in spreading infections.

I do notice that in there it stats over a period of 30 seconds and 1 minute where as i read vinegar needs the full 20 to be most effective. I do agree on the arguent for or against, there seem to be so many out there 0_0 my personal view is, chemicals cause just as many ill effects these days as what they're meant to prevent lol, probably not quite but you get my drift. Vinegar has been proven as far as i can tell to be effective and non toxic which is why i pefer to use it with my animals

Also just curious what the chance of finding some off those viruses in your pets enclosure would be?

Another Vinegar user here (White Vinegar)

I use it for SOOOOOOOOOO much...

Mix with water (1/3 vinegar 2/3 water, sometimes weaker) and spray, wipe, let dry.

I also use it in place of softener in towels. For anyone saying that it has no anti-bacterial properties, well, my towels haven't had that awful "towel smell" for years (and I cna use my towels for a loooooooong time if I wasn't so quick to wash them LOL)

I use it to clean anything that I don't want to use a chemical for. I also use it a lot in cooking (letting meat soak in it (50/50 vinegar/water mixture) overnight makes meat fall apart once cooked....

I also use it in my mop bucket as it makes my high gloss floor tiles sparkle (I use half sugested detergent + 1 cup vinegar with hot water only) and boy do they come up great :)

Another Vinegar user here (White Vinegar)

I use it for SOOOOOOOOOO much...

Mix with water (1/3 vinegar 2/3 water, sometimes weaker) and spray, wipe, let dry.

I also use it in place of softener in towels. For anyone saying that it has no anti-bacterial properties, well, my towels haven't had that awful "towel smell" for years (and I cna use my towels for a loooooooong time if I wasn't so quick to wash them LOL)

I use it to clean anything that I don't want to use a chemical for. I also use it a lot in cooking (letting meat soak in it (50/50 vinegar/water mixture) overnight makes meat fall apart once cooked....

I also use it in my mop bucket as it makes my high gloss floor tiles sparkle (I use half sugested detergent + 1 cup vinegar with hot water only) and boy do they come up great :)
Ohh and if you simmer vinegar and bicarb(another good cleaner)in a burnt pot you can save said pot every time, if the pot is absolutely black as charcoal leave the vinegar and bicarb solution in over night and you should be able to resuscitate the pot for further damage lol (no I havent attempted to murder my pots, I had many a backpacker in my resort kitchen lol)

If you mix vinegar, an acid, with bicarb, an alkali, you get a neutral ph. So in effect, which ever one you put the most of in the pot is what is softening the burnt on food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back