Hatched mid December and not fed yet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilie

Reaction score
So I've got 15 bubs mid December 2011. All but two are feeding really well. How much longer you reckon they can go before we have to force feed? (gonna get some help for that if need be) I've only got 7 left, but the all fed well before I parted with them

Depends on what type of babies they are? Agamids, geckos, pythons, vens, turtles??? More info would be nice!

Ooops, they are little jungles carpets. Most babies have had 8 pluss feeds, but two have not had any. They still poo and pee a bit though. I was not worried, but 3 months is a long time. They sre both still at good nick when looking st them, crusin atound the enclosure and all.

car
Depends on what type of babies they are? Agamids, geckos, pythons, vens, turtles??? More info would be nice!

Maybe get someone local to Give you hands on tips with getting them to feed... most jungles kick in kinda fast

I had two (of six) twin Diamond Pythons that wouldn't eat. Because they were so small, I decided against force-feeding and to just let nature take it's course.

The first one eventually ate unassisted at four and half months, which must have been just in time, because the second one died just shy of five months after hatching, never having eaten.

try rubbing a scent on the food if u dont want to force feed yet. if pinky mice rub maybe rat onto them or chicken feathers.

By force feed do you mean an assist feed, where by you gently open the hatchies mouth and place a warm pinkie in its mouth closing the teeth onto the prey? Or something more intrusive?

Yes. But I would need the help of some local with heaps of experience in force feeding. I believe assist feeding is when you gently open their mouth and put the prey in their mouth. Force is a bit more intrusive. So yeah- anyone in south brissy keen on giving me a helping hand I would be forever grateful

By force feed do you mean an assist feed, where by you gently open the hatchies mouth and place a warm pinkie in its mouth closing the teeth onto the prey? Or something more intrusive?

What have you tried so far?
Braining, leaving overnight, mice, rats, quail, using tongs or via hand?
What temps are they at and do they spend most of their time on the heat or at the opposite end?
Do you offer during the day or at night?
Are they interested at all like smelling?
Are they striking defensively?

Sorry for all the q's :p

Last edited:
I've tried rats, mice, braining, egg yolk , tuna oil , leaving for up to 36 hours, temps are cool end about 28- hot end 33, 34, all on thermostat plus thermometer and hygrometer. I had 13 that ate just fine. We tried enticing by waving it in front, leave them in a dark spot.

Now will the hatchies feel hunger or can they actually starve to death. ?

yeah that's a worry going so long without a feed,I watched my fave breeder force feed a baby stimsons recently because the girl he sold it to couldn't get it to eat.

I wonder what would happen if you tried offering a live feed. I know it isn't an accepted or recommended thing to do but when the snake's health is at risk, it is another option you can try. It will either work, or it won't.

I had a hatchling that did not begin eating until about 6 months old. Then he was on and off and today he is a two year old the size of a yearling. But he is eating well now so I am not worried about his size. So long as he is eating, and he is shedding and is healthy. I did not introduce live feeding, though. I persevered with the dead stuff. But it was such a fragile moment when he grabbed food, I had to freeze and not move an inch or he would let go and wander away and leave it.

Good luck with them. There is still time to get them feeding before their health goes down too far. Double check their heat, just to make sure their enclosures are warm enough. Cold snakes won't eat.

I had the same problem getting a SWCP to eat for the first time. What eventually work was I placed some wood shavings from one of my rat breeding tubs into the hatchling tub and left it for 2 days, then feed using a pinkie held with tongs. on this occasion the hatchling ate 2 pinkie rats and 2 pinkie rats on future feeds. I found this idea when searching the web they suggested the smell from the wood shavings gets the appetite going just like it does when we drive past a fast food outlet.

I had the same problem getting a SWCP to eat for the first time. What eventually work was I placed some wood shavings from one of my rat breeding tubs into the hatchling tub and left it for 2 days, then feed using a pinkie held with tongs. on this occasion the hatchling ate 2 pinkie rats and 2 pinkie rats on future feeds. I found this idea when searching the web they suggested the smell from the wood shavings gets the appetite going just like it does when we drive past a fast food outlet.
I havent heard of that before :) it's a really good idea. I am going to file that away for future use :) I feel it is a great idea to have all sorts of methods tucked away that way at least one or a combination should work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back