Lone female layed an egg ?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodyeddy

Reaction score
I have a lone female southern angle head that has never been in contact with a male and she has just laid an egg in the waterbowl. Has anyone ever heard of this before?? What's the story here?? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

its would be infertile, can happen with snakes i believe

Parthenogenesis and phantom pregnancies are two very different things, but you are right parthenogenesis is very interesting.

Would it be classed as a phantom pregnancy or just ovulating and shedding the egg as is normal in mammals?

Interesting none the less

Would it be classed as a phantom pregnancy or just ovulating and shedding the egg as is normal in mammals?

Interesting none the less

It would depend on your definition of phantom pregnancy. It is similar to a chicken laying an infertile egg which we all eat.

Australia has a couple of species of parthenogenesis geckos which in the absence of males can reproduce A-sexually, i have had a female jungle python get egg bound and die without ever coming into contact with a male she had 3 eggs inside her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back