Bredli won't go from adult mice to small rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rub a mouse on the rat to scent it and he should take it. If not, drop it in the enclosure and give him an hour to check it out. Try and try again.

My Diamond is the same, offer her a mouse and she'll take it immediately. She doesnt like the smell of rats and refuses a few. I have to cut open the rats head or really annoy her with it, and she will eventually take it.
I also have a theory (members please correct me if I'm wrong) but I noticed when you defrost mice a small amount of blood/liquid seeps from it's mouth, that doesn't happen with rats so the smell of blood isn't quite as apparent??
Try storing a rat with mice or defrosting one of each together so the scent transfers, that helped with mine a lot and I would probably still like to be doing it but I have no more mice and don't want to buy a whole packet for that purpose. My girl is just going to have to suck it up and eat them ;)

Wash the rat thoroughly with a little bit of unscented soap or detergent then cause some trauma to the head of the rat so the brain juices and such come out the nose a bit.
make sure rat is fully defrosted and warm.

My Diamond is the same, offer her a mouse and she'll take it immediately. She doesnt like the smell of rats and refuses a few. I have to cut open the rats head or really annoy her with it, and she will eventually take it.
I also have a theory (members please correct me if I'm wrong) but I noticed when you defrost mice a small amount of blood/liquid seeps from it's mouth, that doesn't happen with rats so the smell of blood isn't quite as apparent??
Try storing a rat with mice or defrosting one of each together so the scent transfers, that helped with mine a lot and I would probably still like to be doing it but I have no more mice and don't want to buy a whole packet for that purpose. My girl is just going to have to suck it up and eat them ;)
Pythons love brain juice not so sure if it is the blood they go for.

Quite often once a python has had a rodent with fur it won't go back to a pinkie. and an adult mouse to pink rat is a step back. try a small hopper rat and you may have better luck.

My girl did the same I had to give her quail instead till she got to a decent size and just tried her with rats when I was feeding other snakes so if she didn't eat it another snake would

This is a noted bredli trait....

It starts straight from the egg.... never offer mice

I used to keep a big old stinky male mouse in the freezer and use him as a "scenter" for the rats....be persistent and don't give in and revert back to mice.

It took 18 months of persistance until my bredli girl happily took rats ... only reason I persisted was because she was the most beautiful bredli I had ever bred

Good Luck
Cheers
Sandee :)

I scented before thawing. Easy.
Fuzzy rat would be equiv to an adult mouse, don't bother with the pink stuff

i also found as the snake is at the end of swollowing the last mouse stick in a rat so it goes down like a train (one after the other ) this method ( I ) have found works well if defrosted together. only takes 3-4 feed and then the snake normaly takes the rat with out worrie first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back