2 Coastals 1 Cage!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your thoughts were on housing 2 coastal yearlings together? They are they same age, same length, M & F!

I have heard that some people house 2 snakes together without a problem, But im not willing to try it as I dont know that much about it!

Was thinking perhaps with sufficient space, hides, etc?
If so, would I have to separate them when they get bigger?

Thanks guys! ;)

I kept my m/f coastal together from when they were hatchlings they are now 13 and a half months old, the only problem I had was when the female escaped the enclosure. The male sulked and went off his feed for aprox 6-8 weeks and didnt come out of his hide much at all.... She is still on the loose but he is over it and feeding again now, I didnt feed them together though. I always took one out and fed it in a separate container

You'll be taking a risk, and some would say an unnecessary risk, but I've kept 2 female coastals together for many years with no problems. Seperate enclosures would at least totally remove that risk and be the safe way to go.

i have a mate who keeps his 2 coastals m/f together but you do have to realise the risk you run is that one may eat the other check out the antaresia freaks thread or maybe someone can link it there pics in there of one eating the other

Thanks heaps for them links! Exactly what I needed!

i house all my snakes together at the moment as im in the middle of moving and building all there new enclosures!
i have to 2 3 year old MDs together 2 yearling bredli together and 3 2 year old stimmys together!
with no problems i just feed them out of there tanks and far apart and wash them a little after to get rid of the dead rat smell!

My two bredlis from the "housing reptile together" thread have now been together for a year and a bit. There fine together, spend most of their time together and are doing fine, like others said, just remember there is alway that risk. Just keep them well fed :)

I lost a diamond due to a fight with its cagemate, and the other was damaged in the fight and didn't feed or shed properly and is still recovering a year later......so I wouldn't recommend it.

I lost a diamond due to a fight with its cagemate, and the other was damaged in the fight and didn't feed or shed properly and is still recovering a year later......so I wouldn't recommend it.

was it 2 males you had together?

I was under the impression that Diamond Pythons didn't fight, not even male-to-male combat; that it was one of the characteristics that separated them from the other carpets. Can you please provide some more details (if you have them)?

It was a male and female.

They might not normally do it, but I suppose something triggered it. They had been together in the outdoor enclosure for a couple of years before the incident.

They had never attempted breeding and had been of a decent size for it for a few years.

Maybe he got sick of her nagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back