Weighing your snakes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
Hi guys I was wondering how often you weigh your snakes. When do you weigh as well before feeding. A day before feeding. Day after feeding just would like some opinions. I currently do my hatchlings after feeding. Cheers Hus

I weigh my snakes every Month after the pass there food :)

Cheers Brenton

I like to do it once a month but have been slack the past two..... no biggy really.
N' I like to do it before a feed or at least 3 days after a meal.
I love to see the changes :D

how do you guys weigh your bigger pythons? do you have hanging scales? and just put the snake in a bag and hang it?

After each slough

+1

how do you guys weigh your bigger pythons? do you have hanging scales? and just put the snake in a bag and hang it?

I use kitchen scales for my juvi's and use my digital hanging fishing scales for anything bigger then a 1kg, put them in a pillow case and weigh simple.. You can use normal scales just weigh yourself before hand then weigh yourself with the snake and minus your body weight.

Last edited:
to weigh bigger pythons you can also put them in a pillow case and then in a light click clack that you know the weight of, and put that on bathroom scales. for anything under 1kg i just put them in a click clack on kitchen scales

Mine wont stand still on the scales(pardon the pun) lol ;)
If it won't stay still you put it inside a pillow case put the pillow case inside a container than you weigh it. What I do I have a kitchen scale put the Chinese takeaway container on the scales then I tare it. Then I take the snake put it inside the takeaway container then get its weight.

After each slough and for the big ones I take them down to the vets and pop them on the scales, don't cost money as they are usually to curious to say no, just make sure you don't take them to a reptile vet as they will lack the same curiosity!!

Apart from weighing hatchies when they emerge, what does weighing tell you with any accuracy? After that, the baseline is totally influenced by factors other than the actual weight of the snake. What happens when they have a big wet crap and they weigh less than they did a month previously? Do you all rush off to the vets to see if there's something wrong? Apart from just general interest, the weight tells you nothing, and far less than a good visual inspection.

Jamie

If it won't stay still you put it inside a pillow case put the pillow case inside a container than you weigh it. What I do I have a kitchen scale put the Chinese takeaway container on the scales then I tare it. Then I take the snake put it inside the takeaway container then get its weight.
ha ha ha ha ha I am laughing so much, I was messing with you lol they dont have legs silly ;) they cant stand on the scales :lol: I was being my usual silly self lol

Apart from weighing hatchies when they emerge, what does weighing tell you with any accuracy? After that, the baseline is totally influenced by factors other than the actual weight of the snake. What happens when they have a big wet crap and they weigh less than they did a month previously? Do you all rush off to the vets to see if there's something wrong? Apart from just general interest, the weight tells you nothing, and far less than a good visual inspection.

Jamie

I see what you are saying. Good input. But personally I just do it out of interest for myself. As I see my snakes every day, I don't notice them growing as much as say visitors do, but if I take photos and then look back, or weigh them and look at the records, I can see the differences. I don't freak out at the results, if they loose or don't put on or anything.
Cheers.

I had a giggle at your first post but I near wet myself when Dragonboy actually seemed to take you seriously although I have a feeling that was as big a pish take as your first post. :lol:

Iv never even thought about weighing my snakes. I just go by there sheds. At the moment the 3 I have are a year old and they shed every month and a half. :)

Jamie

I use to weigh my snakes as they were growing so I could calculate feed size, now they are on the biggest feed I'll give them I don't weigh them, I just let a female maternal incubate and a male had a long breeding season without food so I'm now weighing them both so I can see how well and quick they get back to pre breeding weight, so it's all in the name of self science for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back