Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no faith in the idea that the more you pay the better quality you get. That can be a load of shat.

There are plenty of people that get ripped off by dodgy breeders or pet shops. Then there are some breeders who offer quality reptiles at a great price!

The most expensive of my snakes was my yearling albino death adder. Seconded by the yearling JAG i recently bought, then hatchy GTP's last year.

Cheapest would have to be 3 normal death adders at $50 each and my adult female jungle at $80!

I pay what i think is fair & reasonable for what i am buying. The price is set from the breeder/seller who reckons its worth & if you don't want to pay that much then it is up to you.
It would also have a difference if you wanted the snake for a pet or for breeding purposes, as you would expect to get some return from breeding stock.

Price is probably irrelevent to some if they have the money to spend. I have paid as much as 2.5 k for some & have been lucky to be given some. One of the free ones is about to go into a breeding project that should surpass the quality of more expensive snakes. Some of the expensive ones are still to breed yet.

Cheers
Ian

We paid $350 for our first jungle 4 years ago, $300 for my classic Bredli 3 years ago, $70 for my bluey, $300 for my Roughie yesterday and my partner bought a tiger jungle for $550. Next on my list is an albino Darwin or olive but that will definitely be next season.

I'm happy with what I paid for everything. We shopped around and prices were comparable and considering we don't really know any other herpers, I think we did well.

Erbitting the oarth.

I paid $250 for my murray darling from a breeder that i trust fully and it just happened to be above an ad for md's for $50
I could of got 5 md's for the price of my one
I paid for the animal i new was going to be healthy and i dont regret it for a second!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with my spotted and he was $50 from a great breeder. hes an excellent feeder, was placid from the minute I picked it up and looks a million. The more money does not always mean the better quality..

Stimson Python - $380 (my first snake & well worth it.. great colours, and they picked me out a snake that's probably the most placid animal i've come across)
Jungle Python - $250
Woma Python - $280 (bargain!)

$75 with click-clack for my new Children's python. $125 for my 1.5yr old Children's python (when it was a hatchling). So far both are incredibly placid, not a single health problem and I have zero regrets. I would have spent much more but I was lucky and didn't have to. Note I was LUCKY... that does not mean the animal had something wrong with it or was crap. Some folks have seen my older snake and want to steal it so I can't be doing too bad!
That being said I see carpets as low as $50 up here every week without fail. I really feel for these breeders as it can hardly be paying for the effort of breeding and time etc :( The norm seems to be $80 - 100 and for the occasional adult woma that pops up that I've contemplated they've been about $300 which I thought was reasonable. Again, I will pay well for a healthy snake, and I will haggle if I think it's a bit too much - worst case is the seller says no. I'm always saying something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But in this hobby/ industry I've noticed that if one person won't pay the price, the next person in line generally will. Just my 2 bob.

I payed $280 for my Stimmie including shipping and Im very happy I did!

To me she is priceless and now a big part of the family. She is perfect for me in every way! Yes to some this may be too much or not enough, but for me I was happy to pay!

For my first snake, with whom I got 1 week ago today, she is a 3 year old Spotted python(1.1m), she is so friendly, very adventurous, ate the first night we bought her home, then shed after she ate her rat. I have seen her drinking a few times.
She has a nearly 2ft enclosure which she seems to really love, she has a heat mat, thermostat, thermometer, heat lamp, light, hide and her substrate(green grass stuff that you normally see around pools).
I got all of the above (including her) for $180
Too me, she is such a bargain and I am very happy with her.
I of course have added some logs, a few fake plants etc to her enclosure since I got her, which she loves.

I have 2 Stimsons which I payed 350 each for them and a SWCP I got for 750. I'm in WA so finding prices lower can be difficult but I don't care it's only money and I wouldn't replace My babies for anything. I do however wish I could get a gtp or something different but obviously can't because of The stupid laws they have here lol

Omg Angie90 it can get a bit ridiculous the prices we have to pay here. I get so jealous when you see all the cheap snakes over there :( lol

Just a little place where people can talk about how much they paid for their snakes and at what price and if they think they got a fair deal. Same thing would go if you want to talk about snake prices but don't have the snake.

I don't want any snarky remarks from people who get jealous because they can't afford expensive snakes either, just let people talk honestly. Those who can't afford expensive snakes, be happy with what you have and the fact you love your animals as they are. I started out not being able to afford expensive animals too and so know the feeling.

Ok, usually I don't buy anything over $200 for any age of snake. I started out with commons then graduated into colour morphs and now I'm looking at even more specials. I recently bought a $200 high yellow Diamond and a $240 Wenlock Jungle (those who don't know what a Wenlock type is, it looks like a honey and brown version of a Palmerston black and high yellow).

On from that I went and spent even more. $450 for a HET Darwin and $900 for an Albino Darwin. I got the HET from Snake Ranch at the Castle Hill show. I'm still thinking maybe I paid too much, but she is something of an RPM. She has very little black/orange/white colour banding as common Darwind have, its all blended together like a dollup of caramel, hence her name, Caramel. She looks like an Orange Pepper morph but without the pepper, or a Hypo Bredli but with less white.

As for the Albino, I feel its an ok price for something thats 6 months old or so, considering yearlings go for about $1200 or so. According to SXR anyway.

Does anyone else have any of their snakes or pricing they want to talk about?

You started this thread being snarky as you called it by belittling people less fortunate then others?
Ok here are my thoughts on the prices you have paid, the "wenlock" sounds like a honey jungle to me and is a fair price I guess, hets are going for about $150 or free when you buy a $500 albino carpet and I'm totally confused as to what the het looks like with the description you gave. My thoughts on python prices has changed over the years, at first I waited till a species I wanted got to the price I felt fair to pay for it, I now believe some species prices are way to low!! Here is what I feel prices should be near and if anything go up with inflation never down because of saturation
Albino olive $5000
Green tree python $3000
Albino carpet $1000
Albino spotted $1000
The following should all be $500
Bhp's, olives, scrubbies and jags/rpm's.
$300 for the following
Woma, roughies, water and jungles.
$150 for the following
Bredli, all antaresia species, md's, diamonds and Darwin's.
Carpets $100
And mixes $50
Now if you have hypo, axanthic, high black, high yellow, reduced this or reduced that you can charge up to and no more then double what the core species is priced at, for example a designer bhp could fetch as high as $1000

I've skimmed this thread and what is my opinion is you get what you pay for.i pay the price for the quality and stay away from lower priced animals.this does not mean lower priced animals are inferior by any means.as for albino spotteds being a thousand well wishful at this stage as not good news to producing these from what i hear.

I think you will pay for what you want. I paid 800 plus postage for my CTS and have been offered one for less. If anything id rather now buy both.

Some seriously flawed prices above, did have a good laugh though.

I dont think price is always an indication on the quality of the animal.
I depends on the market and the breeders circumstance.
If a breeder has 120+ hatchlings which are all feeding, look great and have a good bloodline, how long should they hold onto them because they aren't moving at whatever price?
There is a lot of effort that goes into maintaining animals at this volume and also cost if you dont breed your food.
At some point most breeders will drop $$ so they move on and they can gear up for next season.
I have some B&W jungles I'm looking to move on to free up some space and purchase some more animals I'm interested in.
Even though I have advertised "accepting reasonable offers" I haven't had much interest lately and it's not because they are poor animals.
Many people have purchased these at animals at a price where they and I both feel are appropriate but drastically different to what I may accept now.

I think it also depends on the time of year. We all know this time of year is abundant with hatchlings and expos and things go cheaper than normal.
Availability dries up at certain times of the year (to a certain degree) and colours have developed more in individuals so in these cases, a slightly higher price might be experienced.

In the end, if a breeder and purchaser are happy to enter into a transaction from free to mega $$$, then both should be happy.

Last edited:
a few years back i paid $700 for a pair of flinders range stimsons from a very reputable breeder and they were worth every cent very happy great animals

I paid 13k for my Albino Darwin pair...... lol...... I thought I had a bargain at the time I wanted them soooooooooooooooooooo bad....... I still love them..... worth every cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back