Blood/Bone Marrow Donations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just recently a few years ago a friend of mine was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. After a couple of chemotherapy treatments they decided to do a stem cell transplant from his older brother to try and rid him of it. Just recently it came back and theyve lined him up for another round of chemotherapy.

Ultimately what theyre trying to do is to find a blood donor who is registered as a bone marrow donor also, that could be a unrelated match to his cells so they can attempt to rid him of it for good.

After seeing what himself and his family has gone through over the years Im doing my bit by donating blood and possibly bone marrow if needed. I was actually shocked that theyve checked a worldwide registration system for a match but sadly there is nobody who is either registered to be a bone marrow donor.

Im booking in to go again later on today (monday) or tuesday! I may be able to change his or someone elses life one day!

His story was on 104.1 2Day fm with Kyle & Jackie O at the beginning of March this year. The doctors have told him its best if a donor is found within 2 months. 1 month is nearly over..

He got married to his high school girlfriend on Saturday, and its something they both wanted to do.

If any of you have thought of a time to donate, make it something you can get around to doing soon.. One of you may be able to save a life.

It is very important that you nominate to be on the bone marrow registry as its not something youre automatically opted for.

For more info about the Bone Marrow Registry visit ABMDR
For more into about the Red Cross Blood Donation Service visit Australian Red Cross Blood Service | Do something special, GIVE BLOOD

Any donations that may be able to help my mate or anyone else is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

What sort of procedure do they do to get the bone marrow. Iv always wanted to donate blood but got stuck in a tattoo addiction and currently have to wait 10 more months to donate :)

Ive been told the procedure used to remove bone marrow is an operation. Its removed from the pelvic region, but you are under an anesthetic during the process. There may be some pain or discomfort for a week or two after it, but Ive put it down to that my little bit of pain that I have to endure, is nothing compared to a families grief when they lose a loved one.

Its only 6 months if youve had a tattoo.. Check out Australian Red Cross Blood Service | Do something special, GIVE BLOOD and do the little questionnaire, it asks you all there to see if you are eligible. :)

do you know what blood type he needs? I have given blood a ****e load of times but i mst admit i have never been asked or read abotu being a bone marrow donor anywhere before. im sure there would be plenty of people willing to help if they can

Nah ive been told once you register for it, its more about the tissue type or something? They send a small sample of your blood off for another analysis and then if youre a match you will be contacted..

Dunno 100% how it works honestly as its all new to me!

I donate platelets, blood and plasma (what ever they are in most need of) on a fortnightly\monthly basis depending if they take single or double donation, im also registered on the marrow doners list and i'm an o- so i can donate to any one.

whole blood donation can be done every 3 month.
single donation of platelets and plasma can be done fortnightly. Doubles done monthly
you can do a whole blood then in 2 weeks do a platelets\plasma then every 2 weeks do platelets\plasma up to 12 weeks after the first whole blood, then 2 weeks after the last platelets\plasam do another whole blood (to get the most donation possible)

Marrow donation is done 2 ways

1. Surgical, you are put under general anesthetic they shove big needles into your hip bones and suck the marrow out (this is the least preferred method, by medical staff)
2. is Peripheral Blood stem cell donation (PBSC) you get a bunch of hormone like injections of G-CFS this encourages the growth or stem cells. they then hook you up to a dialysis machine for 6-8 hrs and they filter the stem cells out of your blood. (this is the medically preferred method so i was told by the nurses)

for #2 my understanding is the stem cell production causes your bones to literally ache and the more they ache the better the production is working so really the more you suffer the better it is for the recipient HA, you also only get called in for a marrow transplant when you have been Genetically matched with a patient, Marrow donation has less to do with blood type and more to do with genetic matches, partly why its so hard to get good matches.

ABMDR

Australian Red Cross | Australian Red Cross - The Power Of Humanity

Last edited:
There is an easy way to fix this nationwide, if you are not a donor of organs etc and you have no good medical reason for not being one then if you ever need it you don't get it. Simple as that.

Blood donor myself, tristan sounds a full bottle on it lol and it seriously isn't hard to do I don't see why we have such a low turn up for it. I too am O- and naturally high iron levels (they love me when I go in).

I signed up fair few years ago now and was told the first donation is for testing and record everything they can and if you ever match anything they need they would be in contact but was never told anything about the bone marrow donation and never thought about the marrow side of things but will be looking into it.

good luck to your mate really hope he can find his match.

Last edited:
I'd love to, I've got a clean bill of health, am happy to make regular donations and from memory have one of the rarer blood types. However, the red cross won't accept my blood as good enough, so yeah, I generally take those "oh no, there's not enough people donating blood" ads on tv with a pinch of salt. So yeah, good luck with your friend.

then clearly there is an issue of some sort otherwise they would take your blood, perhaps you need to ask them what the issue is....for your own health sake if nothing else

well i cant say ill be a match. but was thinkgin about this thread on my way to my parents place to mow it while their away and in a country shopping centre the red cross van was there, so stopped and they were able to fit me in there and then for a blood donation and now i am on the bone marrow donation list. I think their fault is they dont ask you, the fact i had to ask for the forms is a bit slack there would be plenty of people that would be happy to if they asked im sure. Lol they could be a bit more cheery in those vans to :)

You're a champion! I'm happy I was able to get one person to help make a difference one day :)

Yup they should ask! Same way if they ask you to donate organs on your drivers Licence!

I'd love to, I've got a clean bill of health, am happy to make regular donations and from memory have one of the rarer blood types. However, the red cross won't accept my blood as good enough, so yeah, I generally take those "oh no, there's not enough people donating blood" ads on tv with a pinch of salt. So yeah, good luck with your friend.

You either have a clean bill of health or your blood isn't good enough, it can't be both.

I was so excited to find that you can donate 6 months after a tattoo was going to make an appointment for next week but then read you have to wait 4 months after having body piercings besides ears. Devastated I got 2 piercings in Feb. once the 4 months is up I'll def start donating blood and put myself on the marrow list aswell :)

Keep meaning to donate....my dog already does;-). So will get my butt into gear and do so. I had heard you have to ask to be a morrow donor, which you should not have to do.
I am a+ so not universal:-(

Well...in light of other comments directed at this,
I just wanted too say I understand what you mean.
You can have a minor abnormality/deficiency or whatever it be, and still be healthy, so comments otherwise are just kinda...mean. I understand perhaps not intended, but insulting someone's health could be more hurtful than you intend.

Donating organs is a whole other thing...
I find it difficult too swallow that organs can be given too someone who made an informed and dodgey lifestyle choice, causing them too need organs, which they knew would happen, versus giving them too someone with a medical issue at no fault of their own.
Yes, people make mistakes, but others shouldn't suffer for them.

Too the OP, best wishes too your loved one finding the match they need, and too yourself trying too spread the word too help others find theirs also.

I work in a pathology lab, and we are the ones responsible for matching blood to the patient and supplying it (and other blood products with the exception of tissue products ie marrow) to the doctors for the sake of transfusion.

Restrictions on donors are tight, and for good reason. It's not necessarily because your blood isnt "good enough", it's just that some of people who recieve it are sometimes in a very bad way and need to benefit as much as possible from the units given to them. For example you may have a common cold (that you might not even realise you have!) and if you were to transfuse this blood to a person who is immunosuppressed (eg on chemo) you literally could risk killing them!
Other times it may be for your own safety - perhaps you are slightly anaemic without knowing it!

But.... this can't put anyone off doing it, there is ALWAYS a shortage of blood - the Red Cross aren't lying there! Sometimes we have to ration it until more donors are found and try telling that to the doctors who have a patient bleeding in theatres. Going to donate certainly can't hurt! (not much, anyway ;)). Especially if you are O Neg (we like your blood!) or AB (we like your plasma!) Lol. But all blood types are needed. Do I sound much like a vampire yet? :twisted:

Blood donations literally save lives every day, I see it happen.

OP, I really hope they find a match for your friend soon. Life really is unfair to some people.

I donated blood at the end of last week- I'm a B- and this was my third time donating. I barely even notice the finger prick to test Hb or the needle for the actual collection (I rekon the fingerprick stings more than the needle, though!)- mind you I'm used to needles and they don't phase me at all.

It's a good way to help save lives- the person you save may be someones child, or mother, or sibling... Imagine if it was one of your family members- how would you feel if there was a blood shortage and the doctors said "sorry, we can't help you're loved one..." And who knows, one day maybe someone else will return the favour and will end up saving your life!

Also, I always thought you could only donate whole blood every 3months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back