QLD specialized permit/

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kr0nick

Reaction score
Ok I have been doing some research on how to go about obtaining A restricted permit in Queensland as I have been offered A spot in A handling course. But I can't find A actual answer

How many declarations do you need from EXPERIENCED! keepers do you need to send off to the EPA.
This passage was in the course info
Upon successful completion of the training session, participants will be provided with a certificate of competency and a statutory declaration which are the minimum requirements needed to apply for an ammendment to their recreational reptile licence to allow the keeping of venomous snakes;

But then someone else said that I may need another declaration to send away as well.

So I am confused and if someone in QLD can help clear up these issues then that would be appreciated.
Thanks Hayden

If you are doing a proper course then you should only need the one they provide. If you were trying to get it with out doing the course then you need enough to prove you have the required knowledge to get the licence.

Thanks Mayo.
Here is abit more info

Description of Course:
This is a condensed session based on a current 15 hour TAFE Advanced Reptile Husbandry course recognised for this purpose by the Department of Environment & Resource Management. It is designed to:
introduce and familiarise participants to a range of commonly seen/kept snakes including venomous and non venomous species
Demonstrate and discuss risk management and first aid techniques for snake bite.
Introduce and practice safe snake handling skills, using approved methods and handling tools and equipment.

Does this sound like the right course?

Who's it conducted by?

just out of curiosity?

Martin Fingland is conducting this course. Organized by my local herp club. Why do you ask?
And does anyone have any word on the DERM side of things?

Just checking who it was through, after someone has had such bad press lately :lol: nah it'll be a good course, Martin Fingland is good, he taught me and some work colleagues, although it was only a short one he did with us because of prior experience.

You'll have good fun, and that's a great place to start, and he's very knowledgeable with a fantastic collection

I also believe Martin used to offer two references for Derm, however I think the person he used for the other reference might not be counted as reputable anymore if you catch my, er........d rift, though I may be wrong

Last edited:
Thanks Jedi, I might give the course A go now.
And Poggle I am pretty sure I already have A senior first aid cert through my work but I will have to check that.
Thanks everyone again much appreciated

I just had my damage mitigation for a year and they gave it straight to me

How did you get the mitigation? Don't you need less for jsut keeping vens and not relocating them?

i will give you a full run down of what was required recently for an applicant.
a) they needed to provide proof of experience working with elapids / restricted reptiles. This can be done via courses, or stat decs from current licenced personnel. You require 2 i believe.
b) having a DMP is handy when applying for this licence.
c) you may need to provide proof of knowledge of the requirements of holding this licence.
d) show an understanding of licencing and what is required when purchasing restricted animals etc - how long to tranfer on to your licence.
e) you may need to provide pics of how to house elapids.

They are stricter for keeping than they are for DMP holders.

They are clamping down on DMP's and carers now. Even if you have held a DMP/carers for years they now want all the above info.

DMP is 2 references and first-aid. My first attempt was via a course that provided 2 references on pass. That was rejected. Before you do a course contact DERM ( or whatever they are called this week ) to confirm that they accept the course. GET THE CONFIRMATION IN WRITING. I ended up getting two more references plus they added the first aid requirement during my delay (IMHO every adult should have first-aid anyhow). They do check at least one reference. I was a bit surprised that they also inquire about people skills but after working out in the field I can see why. You are peppered with questions and you have to sometimes cope with quite stressed people. Often the hubby is OK with the animal but the wife is WAAAAAY on the other side of the property hiding in cupboard and I have had a call from a grannie who was literary terrified of a carpet on the roof.

So tempted to rant on the BS attached to holding a DMP these days.

Thanks all, especially poggle that was exactly what I was chasing

Best bet is to ask Martin about it. He is a former ranger and has close ties with DERM. Whatever info he gives you will be correct. Good luck with it, Martin is a top bloke and knows his stuff. You've chosen well for your course provider and you will learn plenty! :D

Thanks all, especially poggle that was exactly what I was chasing

You are more then welcome

They are clamping down on DMP's and carers now. Even if you have held a DMP/carers for years they now want all the above info.

The reason for this is because to many people were incompetent. Alot were doing courses and handling captive bred elapids and pythons, which were friends and easy to hook and tail and suddenly people were attempting to tail wild aggitated snakes, and finding them selves way out of their comfort zone and pushing their ability limits. The references out side of courses are set in place to experienced catchers to be able to asses and state they are comfortable with their catching ability. I recently went to meet a person who has been catching for a couple of years and was soon out of their comfort zone with an agitated whip snake, bit of a concern really. One thing i think everyone is lucky about and they havnt put in effect yet is identification skills, this is surley something to be put in to requirements in the future.

Last edited:
I know a couple of people who recently received their DMP and they are nowhere near competent around non venomous snakes let alone elapids. I really think you should have to show your own knowledge and ability in some way, not just a reference. For instance one person I know of got their references by handling Jungle Pythons, that just crazy.

You are more then welcome
The reason for this is because to many people were incompetent. Alot were doing courses and handling captive bred elapids and pythons, which were friends and easy to hook and tail and suddenly people were attempting to tail wild aggitated snakes, and finding them selves way out of their comfort zone and pushing their ability limits. The references out side of courses are set in place to experienced catchers to be able to asses and state they are comfortable with their catching ability. I recently went to meet a person who has been catching for a couple of years and was soon out of their comfort zone with an agitated whip snake, bit of a concern really. One thing i think everyone is lucky about and they havnt put in effect yet is identification skills, this is surley something to be put in to requirements in the future.

I know a couple of people who recently received their DMP and they are nowhere near competent around non venomous snakes let alone elapids. I really think you should have to show your own knowledge and ability in some way, not just a reference. For instance one person I know of got their references by handling Jungle Pythons, that just crazy.

See this is exactly what i was saying. Not appropriate and causes risks to peoples lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back