Awkward rental situation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kc_read

Reaction score
Before i start ill note that the lease agreement hasnt been resigned this year.

Im currantly renting atm with my mate and his misses, over the last year and a bit it has become increasingly hard to live with them.
Im usually pretty laid back and just go with the flow but these people have pushed me to the brink and ive found myself getting irratable and snapped a couple of times. It also came to a head this weekend when the rent was transfered to my account, it was $100 short so i ask what was the go and they replied it was for the power bill.
Now we had an agreement since i payed for the internet which is just shy of 300 for 3 months theyd pay power since thats about the same.
I would have helped pay no worries if theyed just asked.

Im wanting to move out and am willing to leave them the bond and allow them to pay me slowly back since money for me isnt an issue. Is it possible for me to just leave since the lease hasnt been signed this time around? Obviously i would give my housemates notice aswell

Sorry bout the novel :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yeh mate if there is no lease then I would bail out of there, If they aren't going to pay there way then just leave and let them deal with the debt. Different story if they were on the dole or something but if your working then you should be able to manage money.

The joys of living with other people :D

Good luck ;)
Yeh lol, I live with my misses and noone else. We had one of her "old" friends move in for A few months. Worst mistake ever this girl wouldn't even wipe the bench after herself nor replace the toilet roll and I think she was eating the soap lol as I would have to replace bars every week. So I kicked her the **** out and used the room to plan more reptiles :D

You can leave, you can also contact the Rental Tenancy Agreement Board and request your bond amount back. They will have to pay the amount outstanding to the RTA then and your free. If you leave the bond with the RTA till the end if they fall behind with rent, the property is damaged any way etc you are still liable for it.

dont know about here but in the US if there is no lease its a month to month one instead and you must give a months notice to the landlord

is it their house or are you all renting? if your all renting are you sure your on the main lease or are they subletting to you so your lease is with them?

either way speak to the real estate agent about your rights in relation to notice/bond/etc

My partner and I used to share house with another guy, well actually a few but one was awful. It put me off share housing ever again. You just get on each others nerves. We ended up breaking lease just to get rid of him cos he wouldn't leave otherwise! Worst experience ever. And all my partners mates now hate me. Oh well.

At the moment we have my dad staying with us. It's bloody hard as he relied on my mum for years to do everything for him and I get really irritated sometimes at some of the things he does. I guess it's easier to put up with him than non family though.

I'd talk to them about it. At least then it would be more civil than just leaving and you could stay friends afterwards. Good luck.

I assume you're renting through a real estate agent. If that's the case, when the rental period is up the lease agreement usually switches to a month-by-month deal unless you ask to renew. That means the lease is still in force.

Which brings me to the most important question: Is your name on the lease? If it is, you can't just go or you'll be liable for unpaid rent or anything that happens to the rental property. See what you need to do to get yourself off. You also need to get your name off any bills or you'll have the same problem.

I've been in some pretty bad share situations. It takes a huge toll on you and it's why I won't share now, even though I've swapped my old job for the life of a full-time student. Get out of there as soon as you can without putting noses out of joint or leaving yourself open to any legal or financial liability. You don't have to tell them they're driving you up the wall, just say you're ready for a change.

Good luck and keep us posted.

If you haven't resigned a lease, chances are you will be on a continuation agreement.. At which point, you have to give 21 days notice.

spoke to my real estate today, from what i made of it im on a periodic lease so if i give notice ill be off the lease when the next month period starts. Or if my housemates resign it for themselves it takes me off so im going to tell them today.
Thanks for the help all it's much like breaking up with a girl youve been with a while :p

spoke to my real estate today, from what i made of it im on a periodic lease so if i give notice ill be off the lease when the next month period starts. Or if my housemates resign it for themselves it takes me off so im going to tell them today.
Thanks for the help all it's much like breaking up with a girl youve been with a while :p
Arrgghh I had to tell my Dad I am moving out this morning AND that was harder than any break up I have had lol

That's tough CM

Mine's got big C stuff happening and it"s "I'll let you know when I need you" kinda thing. Fair enough. I want to be there for him but he's going through the chemo/ nuke process and doesn't need spectators. I understand that. But I just want to hug him.

My love to you, that's a tough call. I know there's good reason, you're no clown.

Enjoy!

Rather you than me bro. I gave up share houses LOOOONG time ago. Just me and the missus and we usually talk turkey without bloodshed.....

You're about to get "the next episode" good luck cobber, dont get excited and it will go away eventually

in future, get everything in writing!, all agreements weather bills or food or what ever, that way you have some proof of said agreements.
while I've had some bad flatmates, I've also had some very awesome ones, it's been a very rewarding experience over all with some minor (though horrible) crashes along the way.
rule #1 never live with friends, 99% chance they won't be friends afterwards.
rule #2 never let drugs be used where you live (do them elsewhere), I've had one police raid and that was enough (he'd already moved/been kicked out luckily)
rule #3 communication and some damn mutual respect, if there's no respect going both ways, then get rid of them quick smart)

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't let housemates start using the lounge as their bedroom. It's just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back