owning venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwebb

Banned
Reaction score
call me a noob but im just curious, what exactly makes a person "experienced" enough to own venomous snakes?
i think i read that they have to have a written recommendation by an experienced handler, but what makes them so
experienced?
by no means do i want one in my possession, im just curious.
mysteries of life..

Doing catch and release relocations is a good place to start.

You just need to hand over the bucks here in Victoria. Apparently money buys you experience :lol:

Quite frankly I've felt more worried about certain pythons biting me than any of my elapids. I suppose it just comes down to being complacent.

I think a lot of the experienced keepers ven or non-ven over the years ahve learn't to read the body language of the snake in question and that's not to say that it will work everytime as they can be unpredictable. I have watched enough of baz's vids to not so much watch the animal being relocated but how he approaches it and handles same.

Respecting what u r dealing with would be a major attribute IMHO.

I don't see the point owning a venomous snake ?? Like there nice looking some of them but just don't see the point lol

I don't see the point owning a venomous snake ??

Wait till you've looked into the eyes of a Coastal Taipan it's absolute MAGIC

They sure are Natures Masterpiece

I don't keep or handle venomous snakes but I sure can see the attraction of keeping them

Cheers
Sandee :)

I would like a red belly. I will have to go through the process of getting my class 2 ven but I know some really awesome people to get the written refferences from, I just have to worry about them thinking I have the personal experiance as I dont know how to get into catch and release... I assume it would have to the recorded some how and thus with an organisation. Maybe I should ask Jason Flecsh?

I think that over time python owners really just want another challenge there for vens offer them a challenge and adrenaline. :)

Cheers Brenton

Its a fascination with snakes, not just pythons. A lot of keepers interest started with elapids

Plus most elapids are far more active, they make most pythons look very boring by comparison.

I am a firm believer in that the utmost respect must be paid to vens. They didn't earn this from climbing the pecking order and taking out others along the way. They are what they are for a reason and for those that don't afford them this respect a potentially ominous situation looms.

You just need to hand over the bucks here in Victoria. Apparently money buys you experience :lol:

Quite frankly I've felt more worried about certain pythons biting me than any of my elapids. I suppose it just comes down to being complacent.

Ah so that explains how Voldemort was able to do it.

the world makes so much more sense now :)

I don't see the point owning a venomous snake ??

Wait till you've looked into the eyes of a Coastal Taipan it's absolute MAGIC

They sure are Natures Masterpiece

I don't keep or handle venomous snakes but I sure can see the attraction of keeping them

Cheers
Sandee :)

Haha, ya sissy girl! Like any snake, it's purely a function of the facination. Different behaviours, keeping requirements, different aesthetics, etc. Many reasons to keep elapids, just boils down to what you personally get out of keeping snakes/reptiles. I'd like to keep elapids one day.

Yer I c what ya mean I guess if u had a full room set up or so would be nice to have one :) maybe one day in the next few years haha :)

Took me that long to figure out an appropriate answer and may I add I do not appreciate your avatar change.

experience is something that takes years.....and years.... and that still doesnt make you an expert ( although some on here think they are at 18 )

Death adders make better pets than alot of pythons. Mine dont bite or even strike out at me. i can pick them up mid body with my hand and move them around , but they are my pets and i know them , and i know when to do it . I wouldnt do it to anyone elses or a wild one .

and i would rather handle any venomous snake than a pit bull . rottweiller , or horse or cat.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back