E Cigarettes and australia....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdragons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G’day all, Id just like to talk about E cigarettes. I quit smoking cold turkey about 5 months ago now and am really struggling, although this is the longest I’ve ever been off them I'm at a breaking point. So I decided to purchase myself an ‘ecigarette’. Now I read around a bit as it seems that there is a lot out there and ended up choosing a company in USA called south beach smoke who have great reviews and good prices. I bought 2 kits, one for me and one for a friend who is about to give up and some spare nicotine cartridges.
Waiting for almost a month and a half for this to come I emailed the company 3 times with no reply until I hit up their facebook and in the end called them to be informed that its illegal to Import these in to Aus with nicotine…. I was shocked after a lot more research I find out that it’s a grey area of being able to get nicotine cartridges in. Some stuff can come in as personal use and am still trying to get some but why is this?. The government are trying to ban them altogether.. I feel its because people are going to make the switch for the health benefits and the government cannot tax the hell out of it, so in return people are not spending 20 buck a pack of ciggies.

Just for an idea its 20 bucks for 6 cartomizers ( the flavor and nicotine bit) that equals to 17 packs of smokes vs 20 bucks a pack..
sorry for the real long rant i just wanna know if other people use them or have had problems getting them in??

Toby

Hey Toby,
I used electronic cigarettes as an aid to quit, company in australia called ecigs. They don't have any nicotine in them though, just tobacco flavoured vapor. Let me know if you want to know the website and stuff and I'll PM you the details. It definitely helped me! :)

The whole e-cig thing is a lot to get your head around at first isn't. I haven't got one, but I was all set to order until I found out that it's illegal to import them to Queensland, some state law apparently. I as under the impression that the other states are ok with it for the time being. I think you have to order the flavoured non nicotine juices and also order the nicotine juice to mix your own, that's how it seemed to me a few months back.

Can't give you any advice on E-cigerettes, but coming from an ex-heavy-smoker my advice is just keep rolling along and stay off the smokes. It can take up to a year before you can totally kick the habit, but once you do its easy sailing and you won't look back. Good luck ;)

lol i remember trying to get these of ebay 2 years ago

lol go to the chat room, this is a topic that is spoke about in there! :)

Hey Toby,
I used electronic cigarettes as an aid to quit, company in australia called ecigs. They don't have any nicotine in them though, just tobacco flavoured vapor. Let me know if you want to know the website and stuff and I'll PM you the details. It definitely helped me! :)

i just googled that and they seem to know their stuff. what one did you buy?

i just ordered some ejuice from health cabin with nic, so will see if this makes it or not??

lol go to the chat room, this is a topic that is spoke about in there! :)

ok i might after work cheers :)

I quit for 6 months and then started again. Cigarettes are awful. We used champix and it worked until I got bored at home.

i smoked for over 20 years and im only 37 but gave them up 18mth ago with champix.
it work a bloody treat after a week on the pills i was still smoking but it was just out of habbit and i saw thats when i needed to change things and do something else other then smoke.
It worked for me but you need to wont to and it can be hard like when we go to asia for holidays and we are just about the only non smokers but its worth it.
Give them up and do all you can to stay off them. Join a Gym....

I have a few thoughts on why these are not legal to bring into Australia. I believe that we should be able to import these as they are about as 'healthy' as smoking can get. And if you are trying to quit then these could work quite well as you can slowly decrease the amount of nicotine in the atomisers so if you are a heavy smoker get a high nicotine level then over time you can buy the packs with lower nicotine levels till your are smoking them with no nicotine. Sounds like a reasonable way for people to quit.

But you have to look at the amount of money the government makes from taxes on cigarettes. Its astonishing. As well as the fact that it is cheaper for them to treat hospitalised patients due to health issues from smoking than it is to house and look after senior citizens. Generally smokers have a lower life expectancy which the government looks at positively because they keep more money that would have been used on those smokers pensions and health care (meaning if people stopped smoking then the life expectancy would increase and mean the government would need to spend more money on care facilities, hospitals etc for older people due to them living longer from not smoking).

I think the e cigs are a good idea and should be readily available next to the rest of the cigarettes at the supermarkets and servo's.

Import the cartridges separate.

Cheers Brenton

I have a few thoughts on why these are not legal to bring into Australia. I believe that we should be able to import these as they are about as 'healthy' as smoking can get. And if you are trying to quit then these could work quite well as you can slowly decrease the amount of nicotine in the atomisers so if you are a heavy smoker get a high nicotine level then over time you can buy the packs with lower nicotine levels till your are smoking them with no nicotine. Sounds like a reasonable way for people to quit.

But you have to look at the amount of money the government makes from taxes on cigarettes. Its astonishing. As well as the fact that it is cheaper for them to treat hospitalised patients due to health issues from smoking than it is to house and look after senior citizens. Generally smokers have a lower life expectancy which the government looks at positively because they keep more money that would have been used on those smokers pensions and health care (meaning if people stopped smoking then the life expectancy would increase and mean the government would need to spend more money on care facilities, hospitals etc for older people due to them living longer from not smoking).

I think the e cigs are a good idea and should be readily available next to the rest of the cigarettes at the supermarkets and servo's.

That's absolute rubbish. Smoking-related diseases cause significant morbidity requiring significantly more financial input than any other disease process. Whilst the governments do make a lot of money from tobacco taxes, they spend a lot more on health-care. Even though many smokers may die earlier, they still use more health-care resources over their lifespan than non-smokers who live longer.

I know it makes a nice conspiracy theory to suggest that the government don't want people to stop smoking but the reality is that it would be better if everyone stopped tomorrow. Obviously its a complicated situation - if it was simple it would have been fixed long ago.

have read stories about heaps of people who have given up smoking since using these and now only smoke the ecigs, best thing is you can light up anywhere and they cant throw you out cause your not technically 'smoking' or exhaling smoke, so you can smoke everywhere smokers legally cant ;)

maybe instead of complaining about how much money the government spend on smokers who pay MORE in taxes (in the form of the usual tax's everyone pays then they pay HIGH tax's to buy a legal product) how about the government STOP picking up the tab for supplying druggies with their methadone and needles, funny i always thought using illegal drugs was against the law but it seems these people get more help (and a lot at NO cost to themselves) yet those wanting to give up smoking have to pay for everything

nice to see who the government really give a crap about huh, i notice too alcohol doesnt go up anywhere near as much as cigarettes then again more politicans are alcoholics then smokers these days hence why they are looking after their own pockets

Last edited:
I have been using them, the ones I use let you make up your own strength of flavour and nicotine, they are great, pretty much feels just like smoking but without the horrible taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back