I'm sick of the word..... legend !!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media certainly does have a lot to answer for, they don't care if they ruin people's lives with their lazy sensationalistic crap which is often not even fact checked properly anyway.

I don't think people care less about soldiers and doctors than they do about celebs, the media coverage just makes it seem that way. That said it seems some people will respond more to the death of someone who was in the public eye because they may have grown up watching the person's shows or listening to their music, so they become familiar to with them, but it doesn't really mean people care more about them than others. The press put what they think will pull the best ratings, they usually don't care about much else.

The media certainly does have a lot to answer for, they don't care if they ruin people's lives with their lazy sensationalistic crap which is often not even fact checked properly anyway.

I don't think people care less about soldiers and doctors than they do about celebs, the media coverage just makes it seem that way. That said it seems some people will respond more to the death of someone who was in the public eye because they may have grown up watching the person's shows or listening to their music, so they become familiar to with them, but it doesn't really mean people care more about them than others. The press put what they think will pull the best ratings, they usually don't care about much else.

I totally agree with you.....well, it's bed time for me.. :) chat again soon. Cheers, Annie

i believe many sports people are deserving of being put up on a pedestal.
they inspire lots of people to "reach their hopes and dreams" and to get to their full potential whatever their sports discipline.

they just inspire me to exercise really but each to their own lol

indeed. sports folk are the ducks nuts. who better to inspire our children than a group of blokes that regularly find themselves in the media spotlight for getting pissed and punching the living shirt outta some poor bloke that accidentally bumped into the footy hero. who better to look up to than the bloke who came home off his head and raped his neighbour. what about the bloke who repeatitively got pinned drinkdriving. or even better, the bloke who got busted with 6 grams of meth while on his way to rehab. what a fine group of inspiring young men for our children to admire and our society to respect! yup . i wanna be Ben cousins when i grow up.

Last edited:
LOL....I haven't heard of any of those words except... sick ... and I only learned the modern meaning of that a couple fo years ago and I was shocked. LOL

My eldest brother is 70, he rides in bike races, hundreds of kilometres for cancer research because our mother died of breast cancer, and because I've had it....maybe I should call him a legend...actually I just admire him and love him a whole lot..........

Your brother sounds like a legend to me. Many people are deserving but go unrecognised by the majority of society, where is with sports people etc they are already on the pedestal for all to see.

Racist is another word I find way too lightly used. You're a 'racist' today if you display pride in your country and celebrate it's traditions..........especially if you're white!

Just gonna leave my comment again as its labelled as criticising apsbwhen i wasnt.

Grannieannie.. i just wanted to remind you thay we dont have a right to free speech in aus. we cant say whatever we like because you will get sued lol. so be careful what you say

Quite frankly I think we have too much free speech at times, and that's generally coming from the people shooting their mouths off with either no knowledge or simply too uneducated to know how they achieved this right.

It’s like that website:First World Problems

We have a luxury of sitting back and complaining about everything that doesn’t or shouldn't affect us.

Why would/should non aboriginals celebrate aboriginal traditions?
As hard as I just tried, I actually can't explain my post without sounding like an idiot. Basically its to do with saying our traditions are Australian traditions while TBH they're European traditions.

I think the word is appropriate and as e.eT_To_O mentioned these people become legends within he culture they are apart of. To answer your other question, it is a media thing straight up.. without being rude, no one finds much interest in a nurse that dies from natural causes, I mean your 6.30 news report would rattle names down the screen for hours on end with all the people that died that day..

Just saying..

The sports people are bettering our country in someway and also representing our country so I dont see why they cant be unless of course their name is Nick D'Arcy..

Last edited:
Quite frankly I think we have too much free speech at times, and that's generally coming from the people shooting their mouths off with either no knowledge or simply too uneducated to know how they achieved this right.

Yea, that's the general idea. Society is a cross between a soap opera and circus. It can be both infuriating and quite amusing sitting on the sidelines watching the masses make idiots of themselves.

Thank you! I wish I could like that post 1000 times! :D

.....but then that would freedom of speech, would it not? :)

Yes, but it isn't slandering anyone ;)

Being free to say what you like is good, but when it's used to pound people down with lies or things that haven't been researched that are being spread around as fact I have a problem with it.

Except the unedumacated.

Lol, unedumacated :)

The problem I have is with uneducated people who try to state their opinions as though they're fact without putting in any effort to research the thing or person they're talking about. I don't like talking about things I don't have good knowledge of, but if I do I won't state anything I say as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back