Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are conflicting studies on that one and it certainly doesn't do them any harm esp if they are in a relatively dark room with no direct light.
UV burns would disagree with that

Caused by substandard cheap import globes from China and the like... there are specific ratings and UV bands that are applicable and proven to be safe.

I have a spotted python(first snake, had her just over a week) and she is excellent, easy feeder, very laid back nature.
I would recommend a Spotty, Stimmie or a Children's
As people have said previously, get anything Anteresia :)

Wish the spotted i paid overpriced for was good haha oh well getting a little bredli tomoz so we'll see how she/he goes all I know is I'll love it unconditionally :D

i recommend a rough scale pyhton little more expensive around $350-$500 but they are so different and so far i havent had any problems with them at all they eat better than any of my snakes shed better and are more placid. my personal opinion anyway.

I know you say you'd like a small python (ie. Antaresia) but keep in mind that they're very veeery small when they're babies. I LOVE my spotted python, but he is so delicate as an adult, and as a hatchling he could wrap his entire body around my tiny thumb (I know children with hands the same size as mine). I've also heard from several people who deal with these tiny tigers, and we are all in agreement that they can have a very big case of little snake syndrome, meaning they can be very bitey.
Now, I've just received my second snake (a blackhead python) and his temperament is much sweeter. I'd say it would be best to buy a larger species - a Woma or smaller Morelia species - which will be more relaxed.
Every other snake species I've dealt with has been entirely more handle-able than my spotted python (and the wild spotted python I rehabilitated).
But hey! I love my bitey little sucker a whole bunch - he taught me patience and gentleness, and I cherish the days that he crawls around on me without biting because they feel like a gift. If you think that you'd rather have a smaller snake that bites more often (with smaller teeth and jaw muscles) then I say go full-steam-ahead!

Having said that you can barely tell when they do bite you. My yearing grabbed me when I got careless and when he let go there was no wound to speak of. They also settle very well with regular handling from early on.

If looking at a bigger snake I would like either a woma or bhp because they are so easy going but you can't go wrong with the Antaresia.

Bahahahaha! Scrubby all the way!
Yeah, it's true the bites don't hurt over-much, but my little guy tends to wrap his body around his head and squeeze. It's not really painful, but it is uncomfortable. My mother loves my snakes, but won't hold my spotty because she's afraid she'll jump and injure him if he bites her.
I'm always eager and happy to hear when people are getting into snakes, but I'm not a subscriber of the "smaller snakes first" way of thinking and I like to give others an alternative opinion.

I don't disagree whith your choice of bigger snakes, I love BHP and Woma, but I just don't have the room. I got around the little hatchie thing by getting a yearling who was already 70cm. Yours would be one of the most aggressive Mac's I've read about most people I've experienced say they may be a bit tank defensive but once hooked and in hand (if scared of the bite) they settle straight away and that they out grow that habit with regular interaction.

I had a schyco spotted from a petshop. it bit and bit and ********** bit and then today i got a little bredli off a breeder and it's the sweetest thing. It's one of the species that grow larger. averagely around 2.4 metres but if i had to choose a tiny bitey snake over a snake that grows larger but is extremely placid ... theres really only one choice for me! And Antaresia are way to small for my likeing anyway.

;)

Last edited:
iv started out with a spotted who is really cage defensive but is normally ok once out. my friend has big snakes (diamonds and olives) and much prefers them. im def getting either a woma or bredli next time i get a snake. hoping for a woma, im a bit in love with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back