When your reptiles pass away

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Hey,
Just wondering what everyone does when their reptiles pass away? Do you cremate them or bury them? I just had to get my Coastal put to sleep, as he had cancer :( I had my dog cremated about a year, so I feel I should also have him cremated. But that would mean I would need to cremate all my current and future reptiles and i have 7 at the moment.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about you coastal? Very sad :(

I would be burying him in a nice place, If you own your home, in your garden, if you dont own, in a local nature reserve or the like.

All the best

I guess, although this would feel a hard distinction, you could cremate only the reptiles you had a real emotional attachment too like your dog, and perhaps bury the rest in the nicest manner you can?

Whatever allows you to feel at peace,

Sorry for your loss

Ashes to ashes dust to dust,
Bury your snake in the ground, it's a must.
To be food for a plant, to make it grow
The plant will thrive, and your heart will know.

Love and commiserations.

Would anyone be interested in taxidermests? That could be a neat way to have your little fellas stay around :) Taxidermists could wrap him around a little tree mount or something.

Sorry for your loss.

Would anyone be interested in taxidermests? That could be a neat way to have your little fellas stay around :) Taxidermists could wrap him around a little tree mount or something.

Sorry for your loss.

Yuckiness incorporated???

i had a coastal pass last year from a tumor, she is now buried out the front garden, with some nice lilly's growing on top of her..........right next to uncle hank:twisted:

for those that may have missed it,the last part was my sick humour

i would bury my beloved pet rather than pay for a cremation, you could end up treasuring an ern with a mixture of dog, cat and anything else they throw in the incinerator each day! At least you can bury your friend with the dignity they deserve. Sorry for your loss

Wow so u put so much time and love to ya pets and that's what ya do hate to be your pet

You would hate to be my pet because when you died you would be put into a plastic bag in lieu of being 'cremated' or 'planted under a rose bush'?

Last edited:
I think SA goannas comment was made "tongue firmly planted in cheek".

When we lost our beardie we were devastated as we are when we lose any of our pets. We buried him in a container with his favourite sand etc etc and well, gave him the dignity he deserved.

We didnt exactly dress him in his fave suit but he did get special attention.

Firstly, sorry for your loss.
I bury my smaller pets, thankfully that hasn't been very many so far. I'm with Darlyn and I think they can help nature being placed under a tree etc. I haven't lost a cat or dog yet, but when they go I will probably cremate them and have them put into an urn. We move around a lot for husband's work so I wouldn't bury them in the tiny yard where I know a stranger (the next tenant) won't look after the plant/ tree it's under. No kids, so my animals are my kids so I'm a little biased I guess.

I throw mine in the bin and move on sometimes i put them in a plastic bag....
If im really devastated sometimes i will have a bourbon and remember the good times we had

Wjhat is wrong with SA_goannas method of disposal?
Why does "plastic bag then bin" need to be a tongue in cheek comment? Sounds like a perfectly viable method to me as long as it is not breaching rules regarding bin contents...

I took my 5kg carpet to a local vet, paid $25 for them to do with him what they do... I prob would have gone the bin method, but bin collection was 5 days away, weather was hot and I figured this would be unpleasant... (the GF wouldn't let me keep him in the freezer until then).
I don't understand peoples sentimentality to decaying meat. The animal is no longer there, just it's remains. I see no disrespect in your method of disposal.

sorry to hear about your coastal. :(

ive had the beardies that have passed away cremated.

i was in a rental property when my first one died,...and i knew i couldnt leave her behind when i moved,...i found it kinda helped me cope with the loss, so i'll have all my pets cremated.

theres really good pet cremation services available, i used one called Petrest, they pick up the body and return teh box of ashes a few days later, guaranteed to be your pet, not just some ashes from a bunch of randoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back