reptile parks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fantapants

Reaction score
Of all the reptile parks in Australia which one would you recommend I visit at least once before i kick the bucket and why? S.A. offers little in regards to variety of exotic and native reptiles including bland looking, outdated housing not much different to want you would see in the early 1970's
The best i've had the opportunity to visit is Australia zoo, a great legacy and a credit to Steve Irwins high standards in accomodating his animals with stunning enclosures and great variety of animals to see. Highly recommend as must see!

Yeah we have nothing down here, our Zoo is both a disgrace & broke (oh but we have the panda's LOL). I didn't think much of Sydney Zoo's reptiles either, Melbourne was pretty good last time I was there.

I get bored with zoos very quickly, they're all the same really. I usually just visit for the reptile exhibits. Sydney Wildlife World is actually one of my favorite wildlife "parks" (while its actually just a building lol), its small but its fantastic IMO, much better than Taronga. They also have a good reptile exhibit, as well as an awesome invertebrate exhibit. Australia Zoo is decent, its my nearest zoo and they have some nice exhibits, just wish their Australian Lizard collection was a bit better.

For actual reptile parks, Snakes Downunder in Childers is fantastic. Sydney Reptile Park is probably good too but Ive never been there so I can't say.

Definitely Snakes Down Under
They know reps inside out
Used to have a great collection so probably still do
Good demonstrators so hands on is easy and done correctly
Knowledgeable staff

Territory Wildlife Park and Alice Springs Desert Park are both worth a visit. I've heard good things about Crocosaurus Cove also.

For the South Australians, what's "Cleland" like, I hear they have Darwin Mulgas?

I'm a fan of gosford reptile park. It could be bigger and it could have more hands on experiences but it's a great family day out the kids can see everything from there height and the staff or very very good.

+1 Australia Zoo

I am lucky, I live 5 minutes away.... go there often, could sit and watch the crocks all day, plenty of reptiles, well kept in nice big enclosures, always clean, always well kept (as is all of the zoo)

If any APS members are wanting to visit the zoo, I am on 18 acres, so if you wanted to park a van or pitch a tent, you are more than welcome here :D Feel free to PM

I remember going to a small reptile place in Canberra years ago... no idea if it's still there. My memory is not so much of the snakes and lizards, but of the guy running the place, who I sat down and had a really good talk with about all things reptile related.

i've heard great things regarding the reptile park in alice springs, and gosford rings a bell also. No ones mentioned the reptile park some where close to sydney always featured in clips on t.v. not sure what its called, i thought this was the bees knees in reptile parks, anyone been?

Territory wildlife park is pretty dismal as far as reptiles go , but is well worth a visit anyway.
Crocosaurus cove is good for crocodiles but the rest of the herps could be expanded on a bit.

anyone know of any Reptile Parks who house King Cobras??........... being the largest venomous snake in the world for me its the number one snake on my list to see

Hannaz, I think you mean the one at Harcourt Hill (near Cockington Green and the dinasoar museum off the Barton highway at Gungahlin) In the front office he has a small tree with a snake or two in it.

Either there or the national aquarium, but sounds like ^ if a 1 man opperation

As said The Australian Reptile Park has a large King Cobra on display, as well as a few out the back.. but you will have to pay extra to see those ones :p

anyone know of any Reptile Parks who house King Cobras??........... being the largest venomous snake in the world for me its the number one snake on my list to see

Oddly enough, we were actually there (Australian Reptile Park) yesterday. Here is a pic I took earlier in the day. Later on when we went back for another squizz he was out, and he is a *big* bugger !

As for the park itself, I love it. I can't compare it to Australia Zoo (or others), because I haven't been to them yet. It's been 12 years since I was last at the ARP, and it seems to have changed a bit. I don't recall the "Spider World" being there. What impressed me the most though was their RSP display.... They had 4 or 5 on display, I remember not so long ago when there was only 4 known specimens, yet now hobbyists are keeping them. That is awesome !

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 130
I was at the Australian Repitle Park last weekend, here are some pics of my iPhone. Couldnt get the King Cobra though as he was right back in his enclosure.IMG_2098.jpgIMG_2100.jpgIMG_2102.jpgIMG_2103.jpgIMG_2111.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2118.jpgIMG_2122.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 57
i was at gosford reptile park a month or so ago, i have heaps of phtos of the reptile exhibit. I thought it was awesome! I also have been to wildlife worl at Sydneys darling harbour and that too was great. I can post the photos if people want?
Thanks

Love Love Love Sydney Wildlife World, Snakes Downunder and Aust Zoo..
was not overly impresed with the one at Gosford.....too many exotics and not enough native reptiles.....( but that was over 2 years ago now )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back