I want to trade for a herp guy!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Id have to agree, i wouldnt go out rushing to use a grinder if you have never used one before, i think wait and get your boyfriend to show you how to use it first because things do go wrong quick. This way you'll know how to use it next time with less chance of getting cut open. :)

I won't be going to NSW for a while yet... went up that way a few months ago...

I wouldn't go trusting my handymanship anyway... would certainly do the electrical work on it though.

Have you tried somthing like a man's shed?

Here in the valley we have a place where older men get together and build things... basically charge you the cost of materials and maybe a drink or two...

probably a lot easier to simply paint it with rust remover/inhibitor
thats a type of paint that stops rust
then bang an enamel top coat on it

Rust remover?! why did no one tell me about this!!!!!!!? How much? Where? and how well does it work???!!

Because there is no such thing as a full blown rust remover! It's actualy a inhiberter that you but on metal surfaces before paint to stop minor corrosion problems the rust will not magically vanish as for rust kill paints if the rust is bad enough it will still continue to rust. I have personally spent lots of time removing rust from sailing ships and IMO remove it then rust kill paint to seal it from happening

As a rule of thumb 1/32" equates to a 1" of the expanded metal everyone sees it takes 20 years for 5 mm piece of metal to disintegrate in salty conditions IMO sand it down with paper and use a chizel and hammer for the slit lt more corroded parts n it dose not look like it needs a grinder at all if anything a grinder will be bad coz it looks to have ripples in it or you could use a sanding disc :)

Cheers Brenton

Go to any car place like supercheap or whatever and get some rust converter. Sand off as much rust as you can, then cover it in the converter then give it a coat of paint. As Brenton said it won't magically remove the rust, but for what you're doing it will do a good enough job.

Brenton hit it on the head, sanding disc is what you would use, all different types out there but the one that would be great is the layered sanding pad just not too cheap is all, would be done in no time though.

since you don't have the grinder you will have to stick with the sanding paper and a wire brush if you have one handy, then as mentioned already once clean used the corrosion inhibitor and paint with a good paint afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back