Woma enclosure substrate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexpython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what's a good substrate as I'm looking at getting one, I use fine critter crumble in my Darwin and rsp enclosures as I am not a fan of news paper or paper towels. This works as both my snakes feed when they are up on their branches,so don't ingest any bark or anything,womas are terrestrial tho so I don't know,thoughts?
And I don't want to feed in a separate area/tub

Thanks

If a Woma feeds while laying on a substrate then chances are it will ingest some.

So pretty much if you are prepared to run the risk of health issues associated with ingesting substrates then go for it, if not then use a feeding tub or paper substrate.

I dont see the issue with using a feeding tub personally, I do it and its not a big deal.

Superior Wood Shavings here.

i have recently changed over to aspen shavings (only got 3 pythons now so i can afford something prettier than paper again :))

this is for childrens, but im sure woma's would be just as happy on a loose material they can dig through. downfall is it is very expensive. still nothing wrong with paper, and it is cheap and practical.

since i changed substrate, and i feed in the enclosure, they now tend to wrap up the rodent and dont let it touch the substrate. small pieces of aspen can stick to the rodent on the initial strike, but the rodent is quickly lifted off the ground. So far it always comes off as the rodent is pulled through the coils, or they seem to always catch it on their mouth and knock it off.

when i had them on paper, they regularly just struck and quite often didnt coil the rodent up. just ate it laying on the paper.

just an observation, im sure over time they'll swallow a few pieces here and there. not a big deal if it isn't a regular occrance, or large pieces.

Last edited:
I use recycled paper kitty liter for mine, it loves digging through it and it is so easy to get any poop using a scoop.
And its dirt cheap.

I use the fine Kritters for my woma, he loves digging through it, I feed in the enclosure on an icecream container lid and dry the the rat really well on paper towel prior to feeding

Whilst I use wood shavings, I also have a large tile in the enclosure that I feed the woma on..

Come feeding time, she's way too feisty to move into a feeding tub :\

I feed mine on a chair, it knows now that when he goes on thechair its time to eat so as soon as he gets put on the chair his tail goes nutts a

feed in a tub like you should with all snakes and keep them on whatever substrate floats your boat .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back