Canon 5D MK3 or Nikon D800

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebraddles

Reaction score
so, just wondering if there are any pro photographers or photographers in general going to upgrade this year to the 5d mk3 or the d800 and if so which one are yo going for and why? Reason i ask is that i was originally getting the 5d but from posts i have been reading there seems to be issues with focus and soft images which is disappointing because ive always loved canon, and have a 7d at present, but might have to jump ship this time around. :cry:

I dono anything about Nikon but I would never buy anything other than canon.
they are the best for a reason and only just upgraded so I would imagine It being awesome.

what do the other cams do your 7D doesnt that you feel the need to upgrade for?

I haves 5 d and never have a problem with focus.

Cheers Brenton

They are both great cameras , I work in a pro camera store and have played with both . The Canon's focus is fantastic and images are sharp, it depends on the lens you use, some of the Canon lens are soft like the 24-70 L 2.8 which will be updated soon. Nikon dose have better colour but most people wont notice. If your already have Canon lens than I don't see the point of switching brands.

I'm a Canon fan after years with Nikon, but there's probably no special reason for the preference. I think the biggest difference you can make is to shoot in RAW format make initial changes in Lightroom then transfer images to Photoshop for final edits. Its more time consuming than shooting jpegs but well worth the effort. I also convert all my Canon Raw images to Adobe DNG universal raw format.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be disappointed with either camera for image quality.

I would go for the 5D out of those two options on the soul basis of the total recall modes (I'm not sure if the nikon has them because they'd be called something different??? But I don't think it does). It allows you to pre set up to 3 different shooting settings.
I've only just starting using it but it's incredibly awesome for me as I switch between shooting small reptiles, birds and landscapes and when you need to quickly switch over to get a shot off it's just one stop away on the shooting modes dial.

Having said that you're the only person who knows the right choice, depends on how you use the camera and what factors are more important in your choice. I don't see the point in learning a new camera if you're already a canon person.

can you tell me then about the select point AF. with my 7d when i select a focus point it goes red, i have been reading that the mk3 is all black and they dont light up at all so its hard to see the points in low light? buy the way, im upgrading cos i want the full frame sensor. i use a 24-105 L and 70-200 L both f/4

I'm a Nikon girl but if you have heaps of lenses and accessories for canon, I'd stay put.

Been having the same problem. I've been waiting for a few more reviews to come out, but currently thinking the canon looks better on paper, mainly due to it's apparent increased low light sensitivity. In the end I think it really depends on what you will be using for. For me the improved water sealing and much higher ISO sensitivity is a strong selling point, but I understand the nikon has an overall higher standard image quality that may be more important to you. I've got a few months before I go on my big trip this year so have a bit of time for them to sort out any bugs before I decide.

My nikon d800 came in yesterday so ill have to try it out and see how its goes.
i wont pick it up till tuesday though.

im upgrading cos i want the full frame sensor

why??

I suppose it depends on what type of photography you do. If lots of portraits or video where a shallow depth of field adds to the image then I understand.

You will get better wide angle shots with the full frame sensor, but loose out on the multiplier effect on the longer lenses with the smaller sensor.

If for herp shots then most people want more depth of field and that comes with a smaller sensor.....but it's all a trade off one way or another!

The canons certainly produce beautiful images which I've heard people describe as creamy smooth....different to the colours coming out of the nikons. Nikons can be oversharp, the canon is more in line with what our eyes see. Having said that the Nikons have much better ergonomics and menus in my opinion, although I'm not familiar with these latest cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back