Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonez

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so after reading lots of stuff and talkin to alot of people about temps and humidity how accurate are u with urs? Like do u cycle temps for seasons or just leave it one temp yearly? So on?

Depends on the species!

Cheers Brenton

I'm accurate enough in that my animals eat and seem to be healthy.

hatchlings,yearlings 24/7 heat all year round, older snakes cooled through winter and my outdoor enclosures that house my diamonds, coastals, lacies, red bellies, water dragons are kept outside all year round with no added heat.

In my opinion people put too much emphasis on exact conditions and get too caught up in maintaining these. I don't understand why a hatchling will need 24 hour heat when they will never get this in nature. I give my animals a wide range of conditions and let them choose from these at their own discretion. Granted this is harder to do in small setups but that is why I will normally recommend people to go larger rather than smaller. The main time that you will have to be wary and cautious of your conditions is for animals that are far removed from their natural locality where things like night heating need to be looked at, i.e. a GTP kept in Tasmania..

Can't seem to see the thermostat the world is plugged into and reptiles seem to do just fine in the wild! If enclosure temperatures are kept within a few degrees either side of what would be expected at the locale the rep is from can't see what the problem is, sometimes we forget reptiles thermo-regulate. I let my enclosure temps drop by upto 4 degrees overnight as this is what happens naturally, my snakes and lizards settle down where they feel comfortable be it in a hide or on a warm tile etc. Begs the question are people being too anal when it comes to temp and humidity when there is plenty of local variation in the wild?

I agree whole heartedly with Just_Plain_nuts. the current location of the species needs to be considered.

I have a Brissie coastal and 5 Darwins, all fit and healty living in the chilly adelaide hills, and yes we get nice cold nights just like canberra, but no snow yet. I have the Coastal in a huge enclosure, masses of ventilation including a full steel mesh roof, that i partly cover with coreflute in the midst of winter, but his heating is a 25watt heat cord with a hide over it. 2years he's been in that enclosure, and has grown 4 ft (1.2m) in that time, I just made sure the temp in the hide wasnt hot enough to burn. I leave it running 24/7 and he comes and goes from his hide, he even curls up alongside the mesh on the floor when you'd think that would be the last place he'd be (i put a thermometer the room side of the mesh one night, it was 15c and he was less than 2cm from the probe ! !
He eats regularly, sheds well, but by all ''standards'' his enclosure is wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! Way too much ventilation, no humidity control, no strict 10c temperature difference between the hot and cool end...... yet he carries on regardless :) and no !... his human co habitants dont run artificial heating/cooling a great deal, if i'm cold i throw a jumper on, if i'm hot i'll take the jumper off LOL.

my 5 Darwins are still in small enclosures, but even then i have managed to maintain a range of temps...and the adult enclosures will be set up with the same 'one optimamal hot spot' as above.

like others i've often scratched my head thinking 'in the wild they wouldnt have only a 10c temp gradient' so i deliberately set out to give them ONE optimum hot spot. and thats all they get, the rest of the temps fall where they may. Yes i think some people get too caught up in the 'must be XYZ' otherwise you are a bad keeper...... rubbish, i have another theory too..... if we keep our reptiles always at that 'optimal' temp range, then what happens when the power cuts out..... what happens when we have heat waves.... are we starting down the path of creating 'princess pythons' that get RI and regurgitate their food when ever the temp gets one or two degrees either side of 'perfect' ????

Hahaha thought this thread may turn out this was heaps of mixed opinions but thats good means we are all just aimin to make our scaley friends happy. I think my bredli is happy i sorta maintain his heats but he moves places every few hours or so his lookin good so i think ill just keep this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back