Viscious Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_mosher

Reaction score
So two years ago we were given two breeding pairs of Spotted Pythons. Three of them were lovely, but one of them, a two-year female Spotted Python (now four) is, and always has been, EXTREMELY viscious. I'm ok with bites, but this one chews! We have tried everything, ensuring her enclosure and temps make her as comfortable as possible, she feeds really well and she has even been housed with a male for breeding, which she was excellent with. When she was given to us, we were warned of her temperament but I've never known of a snake to immediately latch on and chew and constrict for hours. Last time, I let her stay on my wrist and chew for over an hour and a half and try out the 'calm and patience' method. Actually I've tried that many times but I can't keep going to work with chewed up, infected hands. The other problem is, it's impossible to get her off afterwards. I've talked to many breeders and I refuse to accept that it's 'just the way she is.' It wouldn't bother me so much if she was naturally flighty, but you can't even move her, she's so stressed out.
I seemed to have tried everything with this snake and I refuse to give up on her. I know she feels threatened but I've ruled out every reason why she's threatened. I've been trying constant handling, but it turns into constant blood-flow blocking to my hands.

Does anyone have any extra tips for handling that could work, to even make her more calm around people? I'm moreso concerned with her health, as last time she chewed on my hand, she left a tooth in there. I want this snake to be more calm around us, and I don't want her to stress (which she obviously does). Someone recommended putting long, thick socks on my hands and arms to get her off easily and if I keep using this method, she will cause less damage to the both of us, assuming when she constricts and latches on, it will be easier to pull the sock off. But I've only heard of this from one person?
Any recommendations will be appreciated, and no abuse in this thread, it's all about helping each other out.
Cheers :)

What sort of enclosure is she in? I have a childreni that has finally settled down after more than a decade, she came out at me when I opened the top of her bag when I picked her up from the airport and the little darling never got any better for a decade. I think it had a lot to do with changing her enclosure to a box type one, she had lived most of her life in an aquarium type enclosure. I think that she feels more secure. She hasn't even attempted to bite me for years. Sort of a pussy cat now :) Maybe handle her as little as possible and hopefully time will help with her attitude.

where are the snakes kept? are they in a busy part of the house? if not maybe try put them there so she dont get agitated by a lil traffic? im not heaps experienced but maybe that might help?

Yeh she's in a box type enclosure with just a front glass part like all my others. She was originally in a different enclosure but nothings changed behavior wise. She's in the front shed which is a part of the house, good temps, very little traffic as it houses the animals and has excellent natural light during the day, no light at night. I might leave her for the next week, she seems very stressed after eating me haha.

And I'm going to play around with changing up her enclosure setup in the next few weeks. Time is the key.

try puttin her in a high traffic area after she settles a little. just so she can see everyone and that u dont only pop up when ur diving ur hands in at her

The main senses are smell and touch.
Do you have other animals besides snakes. If so the smell on you could be offending.
I find it helps if you have a removable hide with a lid for access.
The less stress the better.

The main senses are smell and touch.
Do you have other animals besides snakes. If so the smell on you could be offending.
I find it helps if you have a removable hide with a lid for access.
The less stress the better.

Yeh she has the hide and we have lizards and the dog, but I ALWAYS wash my hands between handling the animals and sometimes even change clothes if I've been playing with the dog. She never hides when there is movement in there (The other half of that shed is my gym). It's almost like she doesn't mind watching everyone but she hates anyone going near her. Are there any other handling tips you might have? Like the sock thing I suggested, do you think that might work? Obviously using clean socks, not smelly ones, ha. I need opinions on that one as it's the first time I've heard of it...

the sock will work i just pull my jumper down with my bredli but i found he wont even have a nip at my jumper will only have a go when he can see skin. but try it i couldnt see any harm coming from it maybe just dont use woolen socks incase he does have a bite he might get all the wool stuck on his teeth and swallow it.

the sock will work i just pull my jumper down with my bredli but i found he wont even have a nip at my jumper will only have a go when he can see skin. but try it i couldnt see any harm coming from it maybe just dont use woolen socks incase he does have a bite he might get all the wool stuck on his teeth and swallow it.

Yeh I was going to use the really thick soccer-type socks. Sweet, well I'll try it in about a week and be really persistent. I just want the poor thing to know I'm going to hurt her :( If only snakes had a defense mechanism that involved talking haha.

What size food is she on and how often are you feeding her?! she could still be hungry. Do you have 1 hide in there for her or more? Im thinking she may want more hides one in the hot end, cold and in the middle! Not sure if this will help but no harm in trying! Good luck and well done for keeping at it!!!!

Snakes dont bite and latch on as a defence
Defence bites are just hitting you and withdrawing

These sound like feeding bites
increase the food and 90% chance the bites will stop

yep i agree

think like sharks in the aquarium.....nice and full of food and she should settle

See that's what I have been doing. Few adults every three weeks. Wait a few days then try again. Like you'll pick her up she'll smell you, then latch on. And that's with myself, mum and brother. She always gets fed REALLY well :(
And I'm sorry for the bloody big spelling error, I usually spellcheck everything.

And one breeder said to put her in a really quiet dark room. I don't think that sounds quite right?

But yes I will definitely try it, thanks heaps guys :)
I'm not giving up, even if it takes another two years.

Last edited:
Sounds like you just have a psycho snake to me? Like they say, 3 out of four aint bad ;)

My bredli is like that... I have to take her out of the enclosure on the branch, then unravel her off it :shock: then, usually as I am holding her in one hand and putting the branch back in, its... nip.... nip.... nip :lol: She hisses and puffs up the whole time. The guy I got her off said she was a little cage defensive, so hook her out and she will calm down ..... not :rolleyes: One day I will put on my motorbike jacket and body armour (and helmit) and just hang onto her and see how long she will carry on for (sort of like breaking a horse... maybe?)

I am pretty sure pythons teeth grow back? I might be wrong, but I think it is so? Does anyone know for sure?

You should realise that even snakes have differing personalities and they can't all be squeezed into a box in a shape that suits you. If this animal has behaved consistently like this for 2 years, chances are it will continue to do so. Just accept that it doesn't particularly like being handled, and adapt YOUR behaviour accordingly. Easy as that.

Snakes lose teeth in prey all the time, and they grow back very quickly.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back