Hatchie swallowed substrate!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nes88c

Reaction score
Hello,

I am worried. My new children's python hatchie has his substrate paper Kitty litter stuck to the top of his mouth, he won't let me get it out. Is it dangerous for him to eat it? I'm pretty sure it's not. But he keeps opening his mouth like its annoying him. What do I do??

Get it out. Get rid of the kitty litter. Put in newspaper or paper towel instead.

Snakes can digest entire animals whole, I'm sure a little bit of paper won't harm him.

As khagan said, id get it out and replace the substrate with paper. Sure hed digest it if he swallowed it but if its stuck get it out and get rid of it to avoid it happening again. Thats why all my snakes are on paper or bedding just in their hide boxes

My Darwin hatchy is kept on eco earth which is just coco-fibre and when I feed him a little bit of the substrate gets stuck to his mouth and when he's done he just swallows it and he has never had any issues:D

Ok thanks everyone. He ended up swollowing it like right after I posted this. I left him for a while cos he was frustrated that I kept trying to get it out. I've checked on him thee times now n he is fine. He is due for a feed this weekend do i'm sure it'll just get disgusted with his food.

Anyways thanks again and happy easter :)

hatchys on paper towel or new paper untill there abit bigger if you ask me :D

hatchie swallowed substrate

if if don't want to change your substrate, when its heeding time put a pice of A4 paper down on top of the substrate and offer food over the paper that way no substrate gets in mouth when feeding is over remove A4 piece paper, or find a nice flat rock to put into enclosure and feed on that. hope it helps cheers

if if don't want to change your substrate, when its heeding time put a pice of A4 paper down on top of the substrate and offer food over the paper that way no substrate gets in mouth when feeding is over remove A4 piece paper, or find a nice flat rock to put into enclosure and feed on that. hope it helps cheers

I feed him in top of his basking rock ;) so thanks

There was someone on here before whose snake had breathing complications.. The vet look at it & it turned out it was kitty litter stuck to the roof of its mouth..

EDIT: Not breathing problem, but mysnakesau had a jungle stop eating due to litter stuck on the roof of its mouth:

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/help-175261/page/3

Personally, I use superior wood shavings for my woma, but I also have a large tile in the enclosure which I clear of shavings and feed her on.
You could always feed in a tub. I don't because my woma goes crazy.. There's no way I'd want to try and get her back into her enclosure after a feed..
Her feeding response is insanely strong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back