Cages vs Tubs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Reaction score
Hi, I've been keeping pythons for about 10 years now but for about 8 of those years have only ever had a few. In the past couple of years I've really been increasing my collection and now I have 16 snakes and still want more!! It's true what they say about reptiles being like crack :) Anyway, I'm starting to run out of room to house all my animals. I was wondering what the consensus is on cages (wooden boxes with glass fronts) vs tubs on heat mats. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

tubs are easy to clean ,cheaper, more hygienic and save space but i personally dont like seeing adult snakes crammed into them,. i have conventional cages for my adults and tubs for the hatchlings and pre breeding snakes.
people with large scale breeding set ups dont really have choice.

I don't think I could keep my reptiles in tubs for extended periods of time. Seems a little cruel to me. Much rather enclosures.

people with large scale breeding set ups dont really have choice.

Yes they do, they can either get a larger area to house their collection or collect as many as their space requirements allow?
Don't get me wrong I'm not against the housing of pythons in tubs and that's pythons of all ages, I'm just pointing out you don't agree with housing adults in tubs yet you condone others to do so? Is that not a contradiction?

i think it's fine if you don't have the space to house animals in cages/tanks and you have to house them in tubs, or just choose to house them in tubs. But in saying that people who keep adult or large snakes in tubs need to make the time every day or two to get their snakes out and let them stretch and move. I can't imagine it's healthy for them to be colied up all their lives.

i think it's fine if you don't have the space to house animals in cages/tanks and you have to house them in tubs, or just choose to house them in tubs. But in saying that people who keep adult or large snakes in tubs need to make the time every day or two to get their snakes out and let them stretch and move. I can't imagine it's healthy for them to be colied up all their lives.

Are you trying to say people who jog on treadmills are not as healthy as those that jog outdoors? Lol seriously though a snake in a tub does not stay coiled up, they do laps of their tupaware container!

there's a difference between stretching your whole body out and doing squats on the spot

The trouble I see with tubs (with a mesh lid) is that the ventilation inside the tub is poor compared with an enclosure with side vents. Add to this, you cant see the snake very well and they cant see out very well? Having lots of snakes is good, but if you cant see them.... why bother?

This doesnt count, obviously, if you are a breeder and have no option than to use tubs, tubs make absolute sense in this case, I would like to think there were ventilation holes poked thru with a soldering iron or drill to allow decent airflow at 'snake level'

You are right about snakes being addictive :shock: :lol:

Having lots of snakes is good, but if you cant see them.... why bother?

So true, having said that I still think tubs make the best housing for snakes under 18mths, the starmaid and sistema tubs i use are quite clear and still allow the animal to be seen quite well (maybe not so much in a rack system) I'm also a big believer in lots of holes in the sides of the tub for good cross ventilation. Once they out grow a 30L starmaid they go into a full size enclosure but I only have a few snakes and can understand why people use tubs when space is an issue

I think if you don't have the room to give them a proper enclosure then don't collect more then you have room for .... simple .... I believe tubs are fine for hatchies-juvies but once they turn to yearlings then definately move to a proper housing arrangement.

Just IMO .... and I don't think just coz it's my oppinion, that it's right

Last edited:
I think if you don't have the room to give them a proper enclosure then don't collect more then you have room for .... simple .... I believe tubs are fine for hatchies-juvies but once they turn to yearlings then definately move to a proper housing arrangement.

Just IMO .... and I don't think just coz it's my oppinion, that it's right

I somewhat agree with this. Having said that, remember that some people refer to their animals as 'collections' (like figurines or something),
and seem to forget they're dealing with a live animal that whilst probably secretive and spends a large portion of its time coiled up, probably does appreciate being
able to move around a bit.

Really though, it comes down to the individual keeper's mentality. Personally, I only get snakes that I know I can provide with a proper, well-sized tank when they're fully grown. Having kept my 3 snakes as hatchlings in tubs, I really do prefer having display animals.. Which would probably explain why I only have 3 snakes.

My main concern (I haven't actually witnessed this, but it's a concern nonetheless) is that because reptiles (snakes especially) are such low maintenance in comparison to mammals for example, that as a result, it's more likely people will become forgetful and begin to neglect their animals.

Last edited:
I prosonal dont use tubs because darwins are more aboreal and i havent found a tube that suits this but im still looking

I have a guy that I bought as a yearling who I'm guessing was never handled much and was always in a tub. When I put him in to his enclosure it really freaked him out. He had plenty of hides and places to climb and not be seen but the minute he saw you he would go crazy. I decided to put him in a very large tub that I bought from bunnings just so me doing what I do didn't freak him out. When his in the tub you can open it and get him out without much troubles but when he was in his enclosure he was crazy and couldnt be handled. I would love to have him out in his enclosure on display but for this guy it's not on the cards he gets to stressed and it's what's best for him I feel. So there is a case for both I think.

Cages are always nicer to look at if you have the room, though I would have no problem in using a rack system if there ever came a time my collection is big enough to need to do so. The size of the tubs in some rack systems for adults is definitely too small but there are plenty which give their animals lots of room.

I use tubs with sticks for hatchlings and medium sized snakes, but I use enclosures for bigger species.

If I had the choice of a enclosure or tub of the exact same size, I would go with the tub, because their easier and cheaper to heat and the snake gets more privacy in the tub. Plus make it into a rack, and you save space.

I use enclosure's and rack's here. Personally, i would have to say i prefer the tubs more for the above reasons.

Let's face it they must be good. Brian Barczyk, Ralph Davis etc etc all use them and are some of the world's largest breeders.

Cameron

I use enclosure's and rack's here. Personally, i would have to say i prefer the tubs more for the above reasons.

Let's face it they must be good. Brian Barczyk, Ralph Davis etc etc all use them and are some of the world's largest breeders.

Cameron

yeah when i have a collection of 20,000+ snakes Ill be using racks lol

Circumstances can change too. I bought my 2 large enclosures from people who were moving from a house to a flat. The enclosures wouldnt fit in the flat. The people were keeping the snakes in 50L tubs until they could organise something more appropriate.
The snakes seemed happy enough :D

As long as they have the neccessities, they seem happy.

Breeders have no choice than to use what is cheap and available... tupperware, tubs are totally acceptable and all that is neccessary for hatchies up to small adult snakes, the breeders I know all keep thier big snakes in larger enclosures

Circumstances can change too. I bought my 2 large enclosures from people who were moving from a house to a flat. The enclosures wouldnt fit in the flat. The people were keeping the snakes in 50L tubs until they could organise something more appropriate.
The snakes seemed happy enough :D

As long as they have the neccessities, they seem happy.

Breeders have no choice than to use what is cheap and available... tupperware, tubs are totally acceptable and all that is neccessary for hatchies up to small adult snakes, the breeders I know all keep thier big snakes in larger enclosures

i spose thats the same as battery chickens and free range..... its still a choice but $$$$$ is the factor not the snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back