substrate for childreni

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

Reaction score
Hi all, currently got my 18 months old children's python in a click clack, and i'm getting a 2 foot tank soon. At the moment he's on aspen bedding, but I want to set up a nice theme for the tank. Is red desert sand alright for snakes? I've got my lizards on it but I wasn't sure for the snake. Any other substrates that look good and can go with a bit of a desert theme?

desert sand isn't the best from what iv heard, i keep all my snakes on critter crumble.

If you want to stick with something that looks similar to Aspen snake bedding, go for Superior Wood Shavings.
around $16 for a 15kg bale.

I would suggest using coconut peat lol (think thats how u spell it!) its cheap as and looks great....very natural looking. Oh but dont get it from the pet store...it will cost u 3 times as much because they wack a sticker of a reptile on the front! lol go 2 Bunnings and grab a block from there :D

I would suggest using coconut peat lol (think thats how u spell it!) its cheap as and looks great....very natural looking. Oh but dont get it from the pet store...it will cost u 3 times as much because they wack a sticker of a reptile on the front! lol go 2 Bunnings and grab a block from there :D

Yep. Up here there's a joint pet shop / hydroponics store.. The guy there recommended coco peat because of how cheap it is, and it's neutral (won't have any nasty residue like pine or other woods).

I stuck with superior wood shavings because they're kiln dried (I wouldn't touch wood shavings otherwise) and i like the light colour.. Really makes the snakes stand out.

The reptile vet I go to has always recommended leaf litter.. Grab some fresh leaves after rain so they're clean ,and leave them out to dry.
Sure, it looks natural.. But you may as well have an empty enclosure. It's practically impossible to see a snake amongst leaf litter.

In my opinion I would suggest not using red desert sand, when I first got into reps and got my first young olive python I also wanted to go with a desert theme and red desert sand and only had troubles, it would get in the tracks of the sliding doors, when he went for a swim/soak and came out of the water bowl it would get sand all over it an turn into a dusty red colour, always had to feed out of enclosure or put a maccas tray down so he wouldn't ingest the sand and cause impaction, have also read a few other problems with peoples snakes using sand and getting it in there eyes,vents,mouth etc..

thanks guys, that's why i was wondering about desert sand for snakes. Also, I've got my diamond on coco peat so I was looking for something a bit different for the children's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back