Dual het hyper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenmouse

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the outcome of crossing an albino nw carpet with a true hyper melanistic ( assuming the offspring look normal) now breeding the offspring together to have the 2 recessive traits come through which are technically the opposite?

the hypermelanistic gene masks the other colours (not remove) so my thoughts are the albino gene would just remove the black and you would have a normal looking albino but this is speculation. they are being breed but alot of people waiting have a chat with mick he has been working on these projects so might have a better idea

Does anyone know the outcome of crossing an albino nw carpet with a true hyper melanistic ( assuming the offspring look normal) now breeding the offspring together to have the 2 recessive traits come through which are technically the opposite?

I have personally produced offspring from an albino male which is approx 85% orange and 15% yellow with an extremely dark female darwin. It's not proven to be a melanistic but certainly can be labelled hypermelanistic.

I actually believe when you look at a wild type darwin and you look at the melanin (black/brown pigment) and you look at an albino darwin, the darkest black turns to the darkest orange, the brown turns to a lighter golden colour.......where as most assume that black turns to white when the albino gene is present.
Take a close look at the colours on wild darwin heads and then some F2 albino's from 2003 and 2004 (first and second seasons they were produced) and this can be easily seen.
Also, just because melanism may be recessive in some reptiles, doesn't mean we should assume it is simple recessive in Darwins at this stage.

attachment.php
This is the pairing.

the hypermelanistic gene masks the other colours (not remove) so my thoughts are the albino gene would just remove the black and you would have a normal looking albino but this is speculation.

My belief is that the albino gene will strip away the melanin and leave dark orange.
Until the offspring have been bred back to parents, to each other and outcrossed with other specimens, who knows what they have the potential to produce.....I have expressed my thoughts before and only time will tell.......It's not often you see extremely dark orange albino darwins like this and the same with hyper darwins.....this is definately one of my favourite projects because i like dark animals. Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back