R.I.P hector

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

Not so new Member
Reaction score
its goin to be a sad couple of days, found my rosenberg this morning dead, 21 months old.. there was alot of blood around his mouth and what looks like he threw up blood. i thought there was something wrong as he was spending alot of time under heat light since monday. he was eating and pooing still. idid find a baby white tailed spider in the enclosure yesterday when idid a sand change, does it sound like a spider bite?

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've not encountered a white tail spider bite in animals, just humans. I hope you can work out what caused this to happen. I would assume that the throwing up of blood would be a lot more serious (perhaps something swallowed?) than a spider bite but I could be wrong. A sad day nonetheless.

sorry to hear mate, although this does not sound like a reaction from a white tail in my opinion... i could be wrong

Sad to hear about Hector :(

And I agree with Jande. It sounds something more internal and more serious if their was blood and u think he was throwing up blood. I also found on the internet that "In most cases, the bite from a white tailed spider only causes a mild reaction, including itching and skin discolouration, which usually resolves after a few weeks." But this is for humans so could be different for animals and cause a more severe reaction.

Again sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone. Ill ring the vet next week and see if i can get an autopsy done.

Thanks everyone. Ill ring the vet next week and see if i can get an autopsy done.

i feel your pain, found my kids beardy lifeless this am in its enclosure. Went off food 2 days ago but would eat if assisted. Still havent told them.

Aww sorry to hear that dangles. Telling children must be incredibly difficult. Will be thinking of you. /hugs

My guess is that it has nothing to do with the spider.

As an aside, although white-tailed spiders were once blamed for causing necrotising lesions, they were actually acquitted of that many years ago.
article on white-tailed spider bites
Unfortunately, the bad rap they were given persists. All that aside, they are not readily induced into biting and probably couldn't penetrate the tough skin of a monitor, anyway.

So very sorry to hear about Hector. I hope you find an answer, I will also wait to hear one. Very sad way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back