Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorps

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone new what exactly makes a snake a children's or a stimsons.

I know color can be a factor but just wondering exactly how you can tell, (haven't kept many ants)

Thanks heaps

Ben

LAZYSUNDAY1.jpglol i have an ant his name is monty he is 2 and a half still with a vibrant
pattern....i too would like to know what the diff is.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone new what exactly makes a snake a children's or a stimsons.

I know color can be a factor but just wondering exactly how you can tell, (haven't kept many ants)

Thanks heaps

Ben

There a completely different species from the Antaresia genus.. It's like asking what the difference between a M.spiliota cheynei and M. spilota spilota, there both from the same genus but different species.. Colours are different, geographical range is different etc

That is a bit like asking the difference between a Labradoore and a Golden Retriever... apart from being three different subspecies they have three different pattern characteristics. As for the spiecies differences a textbook or a more experienced member might be able to shed some light. They are found in three different regional distributions around the country with some overlap as far as I have seen.

This is my Spotted (Ant. Maculosa) has a blotchy irregular pattern.
attachment.php

Stimsons (Ant. Stimsoni) tend to have a more bar like shape to their markings.
Pilbara_hatchling.JPG

And the Childrens (Ant. Childreni) has a generally more subtle pattern that isn't so dark.
IMG_8763.jpg

There a completely different species from the Antaresia genus.. It's like asking what the difference between a M.spiliota cheynei and M. spilota spilota, there both from the same genus but different species.. Colours are different, geographical range is different etc

They are actually different sub-species. It's more like the difference between M.spilota and M.viridis or M.carinata

nevermind..

Last edited:
As far as I was aware all three (other than Pygmy obviously) reach a size of between 1.2 & 1.5m the female my Skittles came from is close to the 1.5m mark but nowhere near as thick as an equivalent BHP or Woma in girth. They have much the same temperament and that, as has been noted in many threads now, can range from very placid to quite nippy although they certainly don't inflict pain as such. The biggest thing is definitely the variation in the patterns.

To my way of thinking they really are a great little snake if you are just getting started or have limited room for an enclosure.

Just a Q
Could u breed a elcho island children's python with a normal children's python
And what would the hatchling look like

I Googled images of Elcho Is. and came up with quite a few images from this site, many of them were pics of Maculosa as far as I could tell; dark irregular blotchy patterns rather than the faint much reduced patterns of the Childreni I have seen. So either they have been misrepresented or someone is pulling the pish out of the members, or are they really that different???

Apparently after some searching this is a typical Elcho Is. They are quite dark and almost patternless.

133258364.jpg

As opposed to this... which is from an APS thread.

tn_IMG_0111-1.jpg

Last edited:
I Googled images of Elcho Is. and came up with quite a few images from this site, many of them were pics of Maculosa as far as I could tell; dark irregular blotchy patterns rather than the faint much reduced patterns of the Childreni I have seen. So either they have been misrepresented or someone is pulling the pish out of the members, or are they really that different???
as far as i know, they start off with the patterns as hatchlings but that eventually darkens until it is a very dark animal with little to no patterning.

Apparently after some searching this is a typical Elcho Is. They are quite dark and almost patternless.

133258364.jpg

As opposed to this... which is from an APS thread.

tn_IMG_0111-1.jpg

That top one is my snake and my pic , its an elcho island chilreni adult ....
The second pic looks to be a hatchling elcho island childreni and will look just the adult of mine when its older..

Maybe in future rather than suggest us few breeders of them are scamming members , do a little home work on your claims ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back