Rat cage size?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

repty23

Reaction score
I wanna start breeding rats since mice has been flgreat succes. Just wondering if two 52L tubs connected with a PVC pipe is big enough for 2 female and 1 male rat? Any help would be great. Thanks

one 52lt tube would be big enough for 2 females and a male .
if u want bigger then buy a bigger tub - joining them i dont think is the best way .

I want them to also be pets... So they can live happy lives :) also why is joining the cages bad? My mice ATM love it!!!. Also if anyone is intrested in trading 2 female and 1 male rat + a little cash... for 9 female mice and 2 male mice. Please pm me. They also come with some lab cages that do 1.3 mice.

I myself use pine cages about 500x450x450 with 12mm wire mesh front and top. Went away from tubs because the heat and humidity up here (SEQ) made the tubs 'sweatty' on the inside (beads of water inside the tub, dripping down), even with a mesh top. You cant drill/melt any holes lower down as the rats will chew out of the tub. The lack of ventilation also promotes mycoplasma (urine smell trapped at bottom of tub) I have seen household bathtubs used to house large number of rats (mesh top) and I have seen rats in 'drawer' type setups, not much bigger than 300x250 x190 with a mum rat and babies.

The rats neccessities are fresh water, adequate food, adequate ventilation and room to move. The last thing, room to move is up to your moral standard. If you look at your rats in a little tub and think "hmmmm thats a bit small" then get bigger tubs. If you look at your rats in a small tub and think "who cares" then that is that.

I am like you, I molly coddle my rats and look after them really well, almost like pets.... but in the end they usually end up a snakes dinner. My motto is "they might be here for a short time, but it will be a nice time"

If you can't get good ventilation get some computer fans
It works I think

You will also need another tub for boy weaners, one for girl weeners, one to put the male in while the girls look after the babies & preferrably one for each mother & babies, otherwise the mothers can fight over the babies (can be smaller than 50L for nursing mothers) and if you want to let some get to adult, one for males and one for females. I started with 6 cages, now up to 18 :rolleyes: :lol:

Best you have a look at other peoples setups. You dont need to join 2 tubs with tube? complicated? You will just need half a dozen tubs in all at my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back