Feeling Silly but Proud

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
I just out of no where got the courage to hold my yearling spotted python! Anywayz so the story is..... He was the most aggressive python I'd ever seen when I'd first bought him home from the petshop and I had no idea of his temperament because they wouldn't let me handle him for some reason (now I know. And he was also sold to me as a blonde spotted and now know that it's just a regular spotted. Message for all the first time owners Don't buy from petshops. As I've discovered they'll tell you anything to make some money) and over months of handling I managed to tame him down till he was the biggest sweetheart then i left him in the cage for two weeks straight because he was sheding and digesting food and what not. I still cleaned him out and changed his water and stuff but didn't think it was a good idea to get him out. Then for the next few weeks everytime i attempted handling he would smash me 3 or 4 times and it started to put me off but it was several weeks before I just lost all the confidence with him I ever had and I just was out of hope. I didn't get him out for handling for several months in fear of being bitten. The only time I would get him out is for a fortnightly clean and i used a hook to do this and he still managed to tag me a few times whenever I did it. I would change his water everyday when I was lucky enough for him to be in the hide or I would just get it in and out as quick as I could. All I've wanted to do was sell him to someone who was experienced and caring enough to give him a good home and handle him despite his temperament. Then out of no where today I got this random boost of confidence when I saw him looking at me so I gently hooked him out and handled him for a sucessful half an hour with 0 TAGS!! I must of had a better handling technique because i was so calm and so was he. I still need to sell him but at least I won't feel bad if I sell it to a first time snake owner because I now can hold him confidently and tame him beforehand. :D:D:DI now know that it was my lack of confidence that got him tagging again in the first place :D

:D Thanks Idk why I was ever scared because I have enough confidence to let my little bredli touch his face to mine and stuff but I think it was just a sub-conscious thing because of all the tags in previous handling

I just out of no where got the courage to hold my yearling spotted python! Anywayz so the story is..... He was the most aggressive python I'd ever seen when I'd first bought him home from the petshop and I had no idea of his temperament because they wouldn't let me handle him for some reason (now I know. And he was also sold to me as a blonde spotted and now know that it's just a regular spotted. Message for all the first time owners Don't buy from petshops. As I've discovered they'll tell you anything to make some money) and over months of handling I managed to tame him down till he was the biggest sweetheart then i left him in the cage for two weeks straight because he was sheding and digesting food and what not. I still cleaned him out and changed his water and stuff but didn't think it was a good idea to get him out. Then for the next few weeks everytime i attempted handling he would smash me 3 or 4 times and it started to put me off but it was several weeks before I just lost all the confidence with him I ever had and I just was out of hope. I didn't get him out for handling for several months in fear of being bitten. The only time I would get him out is for a fortnightly clean and i used a hook to do this and he still managed to tag me a few times whenever I did it. I would change his water everyday when I was lucky enough for him to be in the hide or I would just get it in and out as quick as I could. All I've wanted to do was sell him to someone who was experienced and caring enough to give him a good home and handle him despite his temperament. Then out of no where today I got this random boost of confidence when I saw him looking at me so I gently hooked him out and handled him for a sucessful half an hour with 0 TAGS!! I must of had a better handling technique because i was so calm and so was he. I still need to sell him but at least I won't feel bad if I sell it to a first time snake owner because I now can hold him confidently and tame him beforehand. :D:D:DI now know that it was my lack of confidence that got him tagging again in the first place :D

I beg to disagree. 2 of my beautiful children are from a pet store. I handled them several times before purchase. I say don't buy from a pet store that won't let you touch the animal if you're serious. Imagine buying a puppy and not being able to hold it first.

I understand that Manda but it was my first time purchasing a snake and I hadn't yet discovered this sight full of helpful experienced people. And It was the only petstore that sold any reptiles close! Thanks Tit4n :D

Congrats and don't feel silly. My roughy is just a hatchy and even though I know he won't hurt me I still get nervous about grabbing him out of his click clack. Just make sure you handle him everyday you can so he becomes placid again. :)

Ummm... I think it's great that you are handling him again and have settled him down but I don't get why you still need to sell him. You said you were going to sell him because you couldn't handle him and he was too feisty for you if you have changed that why does he have to go?

I beg to disagree. 2 of my beautiful children are from a pet store. I handled them several times before purchase. I say don't buy from a pet store that won't let you touch the animal if you're serious. Imagine buying a puppy and not being able to hold it first.

Pet shops = rip offs any way :)

Akarsha - Thanks heaps :p

Gruni - My mum isn't a snake fan and the only reason she let me get a new bredli is because i was selling this one...

Jake - Glad you agree :)

I understand that Manda but it was my first time purchasing a snake and I hadn't yet discovered this sight full of helpful experienced people. And It was the only petstore that sold any reptiles close! Thanks Tit4n :D
My pet store purchases were my first and second snake too

i bought my spotted from a pet store that my sister works at. even after buying him ( had to wait 2 weeks for license) she still wasnt allowed to handle him. he had come from a breeder that got them out fairly often and then spent a good 3-4 weeks without any handling at all. i am incredibly dissapointed that i wasnt able to handle him before i got him. as much as i love him now, it would have been nice to get to no him more before he came home just to make sure i made the right choice.
iv had 1 week out of the 5ish that hes been home that have been great with handling him and now randomly hes turned into a snappy little so and so. its not doing much for my confidence in getting him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back