Arafura File Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dottyback

Reaction score
I have these 2 set up in a 6x2 tank. They rarely become active during the day. We had a massive drop in atmospheric pressure a few days back and did they become active!

P4060072.jpg

I love these snakes and I'd love to get one myself, what's involved in their care?

theyve been on my wishlist for a while,
they dont go great in captive care iv heard and there is still lots to learn about them, but boy i would love one

theyve been on my wishlist for a while,
they dont go great in captive care iv heard and there is still lots to learn about them, but boy i would love one

I find it difficult to beleive they wouldn't go exceptionally well in captivity. I've known a few people to keep them and the only issue i've ever heard of is white spot when they are kept too cold.

In the wild they can be found in some pretty manky and nasty looking environments. They are only uncommon because they aren't easy to breed and i think they are difficult to breed because people don't give them to appropriate ammount of salt at the right time of year.

I find it difficult to beleive they wouldn't go exceptionally well in captivity. I've known a few people to keep them and the only issue i've ever heard of is white spot when they are kept too cold.

In the wild they can be found in some pretty manky and nasty looking environments. They are only uncommon because they aren't easy to breed and i think they are difficult to breed because people don't give them to appropriate ammount of salt at the right time of year.

It's been shown that in the wild they've got very, very irregular breeding cycles too. They don't seem to mature until quite late and often have 5 or more years between each. Though in captivity with regular feeding and good care I would imagine they would breed more frequently.

Do you think the salt from flooding has a big effect on their cycles Gordo?

And they are great animals Dottyback!

Last edited:
adding salt helps their white spot but i am not so sure on the salt helping their breeding i know of a local file snake keeper that has bred them repeatedly with no effort.

Definately. We get the big migrations of file snakes during and after the run off (end of the wet season) and then they start pairing up and breeding during the dry season.

I've seen countless files snakes moving up tidal rivers at the end of the end of the wet, it begs the question. Where were they for the wet season? I would guess (considering where they are coming from) that they have been in brackish water and possibly for some months.

It's been shown that in the wild they've got very, very irregular breeding cycles too. They don't seem to mature until quite late and often have 5 or more years between each. Though in captivity with regular feeding and good care I would imagine they would breed more frequently.

Do you think the salt from flooding has a big effect on their cycles Gordo?

And they are great animals Dottyback!

Definately. We get the big migrations of file snakes during and after the run off (end of the wet season) and then they start pairing up and breeding during the dry season.

I've seen countless files snakes moving up tidal rivers at the end of the end of the wet, it begs the question. Where were they for the wet season? I would guess (considering where they are coming from) that they have been in brackish water and possibly for some months.

Interesting.

Alot of file snakes are wild caught stock and file snakes are known for long term sperm retention (5+ years) it is possible that the animals of the breeder you know could have already copulated before they got them. Also, if they have been treated for white spot (with salt) and are kept in a tropical setup (which are usually setup with higher specific gravity than temperate aquariums) then they are likely to have been exposed to higher salt levels.

Either way i'd be interested to know the setup and success rates of this person.

adding salt helps their white spot but i am not so sure on the salt helping their breeding i know of a local file snake keeper that has bred them repeatedly with no effort.

And then there is the possibility that my speculation is wrong and they will breed without a salt influence.

Last edited:
I too would be very interested to know the setup, breeding info, success rates and any other infomation from this person.

I see my file all the time... even snaps sometimes when you walk past the tank and hes in strike mode, But the tank is alot darker with tanic acid than this tank.. could be why he doesn't hide much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back