Haggling. Do you do it or do you hate it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersimon

Reaction score
I love to haggle and don't like buying anything without at least trying to get it cheaper. ( I don't try at woollies anymore.) I don't mind paying the asking price sometimes but I still have to try to get it cheaper. I've found some people don't like to haggle and won't return emails or calls. So do you hate it or love it.

I only haggle if i think the price is a bit high. But if the price is right i just buy it.

Cheers
Kyle

I love to haggle and don't like buying anything without at least trying to get it cheaper. ( I don't try at woollies anymore.) I don't mind paying the asking price sometimes but I still have to try to get it cheaper. I've found some people don't like to haggle and won't return emails or calls. So do you hate it or love it.

I'm a full blown haggler! I'm not with reptiles because you get what you pay for but everything else sure why not :)

Cheers Brenton

having had many, many visits to India, Middle East and Asia, Ihave learnt to do it, and i am brilliant at it....If i don,t have an Indian trader (of luxury goods only ) rolling in desperation on the ground , wailing, writhing in pain, as i have done many, many times, then i have not done my job properly...One such trader of silver jewellery remembered me after 25 years......................Remember this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no vendor will accept a price which he does not want to accept, no matter how much you haggle

I haggle with some things.
Reptile No haggling
Antiques sometimes depending on the seller or item.
Cars Always

I got into it whilst shopping in china, you really haven't experienced haggling until you go somewhere like that. I talked this one women down on the price of some kids clothes, I walked away from the stall and she stood there screaming for me to come back. I turned around and gestured my final price which just infuriated her. Kept walking with her screaming at me in the background. About 2 mins later she caught up with me and begrudgingly accepted my money.

Went shopping for white goods for me and the ex wife . Had a list ; 2 washing machines , 2 dryers , 2 fridges . Stopped at each store and explained that I would be comparing prices and paying cash . Harvey Norman won , they slashed more than $600 off the total . Always haggle :]

I'd only do it at a market or something, or if someones selling something online, but never at an actual shop.
Ive haggled once for reptiles, because the asking price was really quite steep. I didn't haggle too much, but enough to get it down to what they're actually worth.

I haggle at whitegoods stores and markets but don't haggle price at Big W or other such places.

it depends on what it is. reptiles, no way. if it is some kind of small buisness or family run service then no i won't, but if it is a big corp like jbhifi or big w or whatever i will do some shopping around and see if i can get a better price. now when i start breeding and someone wants to haggle over the price of my animals i will not deal with them.

and the same thing goes for my photography, anyone wants to haggle over the price will very quickly be shown the door.

How do you haggle with those self serve registers? :p

I only haggle at markets and overseas.
If I don't like the price, I simply look elsewhere.

At the expo in 2011 dad haggled down an enclosure by $30, when I was trying to get him to be quiet...
I reckon haggling is a bit rude to be honest, someone has set a price, why annoy them to get it cheaper?

Last edited:
Love to get a bargin. I leave reptiles out of my ruthless offer's thoe unless I want to by a few at a time then may give the seller a little nudge.

I didn't even know you were allowed to haggle at retail stores, unless of course you say "(competitor) offered it to me for (lower price)" but thats not really haggling per se.

I didn't even know you were allowed to haggle at retail stores, unless of course you say "(competitor) offered it to me for (lower price)" but thats not really haggling per se.
It depends on the product and price. Electrical & whitegoods you can normally get some haggling in, small items/cheap items no eg DVD's are out

I love to haggle with large items like whitegoods, cars, bikes etc and most stuff privately sold either over the net or at garage sales etc. I also expect to get haggled when I am selling something so I always advertise for a price slightly higher than that I am prepared to accept, at the end of the day the buyer feels they have got a bargain if you have allowed them to haggle and you still get what you actually want for your item or the buyer is happy with the price you set and you are an even bigger winner because you got more than you wanted.

Last edited:
I didn't even know you were allowed to haggle at retail stores,

definitely no law against it!

Places like Harvey Normal etc I always ask if they can do a better price or what their best price is. They usually have plenty of room to move on prices and you'd be surprised how often they give you a reasonable discount. With larger items a lot of their marked prices are set up to allow for interest free payments etc, so if you are paying the whole amount upfront you can get really substantial discounts!

I reckon any shop where sales people approach you on the floor and ask to help you, it's worth asking for their best price.

I think there is a big difference between asking what their best price is and haggling. You ask once and generally leave it at that. Haggling is going back and forward beating them down... something that seems to be expected as part of the sales transaction in many parts of the world, but not here in Oz.

I have no worries with people trying to get the best price on large purchases. However people who ask for the best price/try to haggle on $5 purchases and such seriously irritate me...

i love to haggle at bing lee and good guys etc..

but nothing beats haggling with my mum. always manage to come to some sort of agreement in regards to her giving me money and me giving her nothing in return for that money :)

my tactic with mum is, i usually need to borrow $20 a week which she doesnt mind cos my rent is really expensive compared to what i earn.. so if i ask for $20 she gives me $20, but if im feeling clever i ask for $15 and that usually magically turns into her giving me $30. she hasnt caught on yet haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back