Snake bites and infection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Reaction score
bite 2.jpg

I got tagged pretty good by my adult Proserpine tonight. It looked like a lot of blood but wasn't that bad. I sent this picture through to my dad who's a G.P thinking he'd have a good laugh but I guess it looks worse than it is because he said I should get an antibiotic shot and a tetanus shot first thing tomorrow morning. Ive been bitten a bunch of times before and never had an infection. Is that good luck or are infections from pyhon bites rare? Anyone out there had an infection from a bite before?

Your dad is right. Better be safe than sorry. Dont forget that snakes dont brush their teeth so all the bacteria is stored in their mouths.

Nice trophy - since you have pics we believe you.

As for any bite - open wound, possible bacteria could lead to infection. You would have as much bacteria on your body as what your snake does. No worse than any other wound or bite and your body's natural defences knock out most of the nasties. Maybe give the wound a scub with a bit of detol or antiseptic.

Bleeding is good, it cleans out the wound. use some F10 or reptihand gel (once it stops bleeding) I rub it into the tooth holes. Have had lots of tags, but nothing as nasty as that one.

I think your dad is just wanting to stick needles in you to get you back from when you were a teenager! :lol:

Feeding 'clean' rats to our captive snakes and keeping our snakes in clean enclosures, the likelyhood of them having 'terrible' bacteria (more than the antibacterial gel can handle) is very low.

Clean with antibacterial stuff mentioned... keep an eye on it for swelling or any sign of infection.... and if pain persists..... assault your dad.....er, I mean 'consult' :lol:

Send him another pic with tomato sauce all down your neck and shirt and give him a real coronary... hehehehehe (happy easter dad) ;)

Send him another pic with tomato sauce all down your neck and shirt and give him a real coronary... hehehehehe (happy easter dad)

Cool idea, but wrap the snake around your neck first likes he's trying to take you out. This should eliminate visits from the parents and inlaws - Yahoo...........

Ha ha! Not a bad idea :) But just before i sent that pic i sent him a pic of my 6yr old daughter holding my super tame, never even thought of biting, 7ft diamond. I think he'd go for custody :)

Pfft... Antibiotics are for the weak! (Well, usually for the sickly, but that makes them WEAK!!) I'd forego the shot of AB's, and just have a shot of cement instead;)

Yea..... only a fairy would need anti biotics hehehehehe

I hope your snake is up to date with his shots? Wouldnt want him to catch anything from you! :shock: :lol:

Seriously tho, unless it shows any sign of infection, I wouldnt worry.... just part of the territory.

If you die tho.... can I have your snake? hehehehehe

Yeah, like i said, i've been tagged heaps of times before and never had an infection. I don't actually mind being bitten, it doesnt really hurt and never scars. I've got an indian ring neck parrot thats bitten me 100's of times and that hurts like hell!! The little **** had a habit of sitting on my shoulder and saying "peakaboo" and when i turned my head to look at him he'd bite my face. But pythons, pfffft. Never even thought about getting a shot before but since a Dr (even though he's my dad) suggested it i thought i would ask the question.

You will prolly find that the fact you have been tagged alot of times before would be giving you some sort of immune resistance to any bacteria (not total100% resistance) but your body would already recognise the bacteria and have the 'fix' handy.

Different if the snake was wild and unknown and could be full of bacteria, or someone who has never been tagged before who has no resistance/tollerance to the bacteria your snake may carry. I reckon you will have forgotten about it tomorrow :lol:

I've got an indian ring neck parrot thats bitten me 100's of times and that hurts like hell!! The little **** had a habit of sitting on my shoulder and saying "peakaboo" and when i turned my head to look at him he'd bite my face.

I can't believe no one else commented on that! That's funnier than hell!!!

Birds are awesome! Thanks for sharing that!
/Kris

I have been tagged heaps, the only time I had an issue is when a couple of teeth broke off in the knuckle of my finger, they popped out over the next couple of days, no problem :) That particular bite was from my male olive, who is about 9 feet long.

Iven been bitten more times then i can count, useually just wash the wound.
Maybe a bit of dettol rubed on the bite to kill any bacteria.

I have been told that snakes carry salmonella so it doesn't do any harm to play it safe. I have been bitten countless times over the years, the best bite blackened my arm for week, and I've had teeth stuck in my fingers for weeks before they will come out. Those can infected but I haven't had any issues. That doesn't guarantee your safety though. Everyone is different. The blood makes fun photos but they usually aren't as bad as they look.

yep they sure do carry salmonella, i found out the hard way,:oops: the silly doc then asked if you can treat the snake

Although they can sarry salmonella it must be fairly uncommon to contract it through a snake bite based on the number of people here who have been bitten heaps and haven't had an issue. Likewise I know a couple of people personally ho have kept snakes for YEARS and this came up with one of them in a conversation yesterday, he said he has never had an infecton let alone contrated salmonella from a snake and he refuses to use the sterilising gel.

Long and the short of it, if you are worried no harm in a good wash of the wound and applying some Detol, if you go for an antibiotics shot every time you get tagged you will want your dad to do it as a favour or have some frequent client scheme with your local Dr to be able to afford it.

Salmonella is very easy to kill. a bit of detol and it's gone. You also need to have a large dose (as in consuming contaminated food) for it to do any harm

Yes, like ricochet said, you would really be at a risk of being infected with salmonella if you picked up poop from the enclosure with your bare hands, then ate a big mack or something where you handle the food, without washing your hands first.

Hygene! ...... it isn't just what you say to gene when you meet him in the street :lol:

Anyone likely to be bitten by animals should ensure their tetanus shots are up to date. Sure you would have to be unlucky but the causative agent is carried in animal mouths and tetanus kills.

The big issue with bites is that mouths are filthy. Humans, cats and crocs are particularly bad.
Pythons leave puncture wounds that can be difficult to wash out and can potentially leave anaerobic bacteria partying deep in tissues.

So advice from medical fraternity is always going to be: update tetanus, clean wound thorougly & consult a doctor if remotely concerned. If you dont head to a gp for prophylactic oral antibiotics you should be prepared to head to a doctor at the first sign of infection.

My advice however is not to send your father particularly gory photos unless you a) want to upset the poor bugger or b) follow it up with a story about you went to a doctor & got fixed up & the doctor was fab & the nurses were cute & youre really happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back