Haggling. Do you do it or do you hate it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont haggle. if i dont like the price i go elsewhere.

i also dont like people who haggle in my store, if you ask for a discount you will never get one. if your nice and you purchase a few items and i chose to give you a discount i will offer you one, or something free, but if you ask not a chance, i know my prices are good to start with and i have one it what i want.dont like it dont buy it. i would get 10 people a day ask for a better price. it really gets under my skin. you cannot get a apple from coles any cheaper, or petrol of shell, so why should i?

just my 2 cents anyhow

This is the age of haggling. Stores like the major retailers are battling internet sales, but just price stuff a little higher to make a little extra money out of non-hagglers. I always just throw in the line "Is that the best price?" and usually get 10% or so off. At Bunnings, on bigger purchases, I ask in the isle for a manager (or who is in charge of this isle?) and ask if they can do anything with the price. Again, usually a few % off. It pays to haggle, if you dont, you are paying for those that do!

I went to Jaycar to buy some digital scales last week, on the net they were $24 so I went to the store in Caloundra. The price on the shelf was $44. I asked and was told I could have it for the internet price. If I hadnt asked, I would have ripped myself off $20. I went to World of lights to get some flouro fittings for 3 of my enclosures, everything was $40+.... I asked for a manager and said I wanted 3, paying cash, I got them for $26 each (for 3) $78 instead of $120+... shows thier real margins!

Business is all about the bottom line and stock movement. Buying tyres, for example, go in late in the month, the manager will be wanting to sell as many tyres as possible and will usually lower the price to bolster the end of month sales figures.... this works at alot of places and stores, often managers get bonusses for a certain amount of stock sold and will do good deals to achieve this number.

You guys saying you wont haggle..... thanks, you pay for alot of my stuff... cheers ;)

Also, when I sell stuff I think of what I want for it, then round up a bit, because I know that people usually offer a bit less (I always do) and as long as I get my wanted figure, I am happy. Buying is a game... nothing more. If I am selling a car part I want $80 for, but advertise it for $100.... if someone pays $100 I win big time, if they offer $80 I win anyway, thats all I expected. Haggle.... it is sensible (and fun) At least give it a crack.... It doesn't hurt :lol:

Reptiles? Why not haggle? If you know someone has a snake you would like (for example) its for sale for say $250, you know it has been advertised for a few weeks (months)..... why not offer $200? It will prolly make the breeders/sellers day to see it go to a good home (not his). Surely you would ask a breeder if he has any of what you want at a good price?

I will haggle for anything.... but I will accept NO for an answer, then choose to buy or look elsewhere.... thats normal IMO

Red ink.... making an offer IS haggling :lol: Sory colin, message was for Red ink, not you :oops:

Last edited:
Its a two way street and haggle street is way over there in the housing commission projects.

That's probably a bit rude. I haggle when I feel it's appropriate, I have an income that's nearly 3 times the national average & live in an area that certainly wouldn't be described in the way you have.

I dont haggle because i try to only buy australian made produces and will pay to keep jobs in australia. Everyone wants stuff that at bargin prices and that is why we import so much s%^T from overseas and you get what you pay for. haggling with big companies does no damage..... the 500 people that lost their jobs because wow closed down would have a different view on this

If an animal is at a higher price than you may feel its worth or higher than what your prepared to pay, just politely move on to some thing else that fits your criteria and price.

or just wait a month for the breeder to wake up to themself and buy it for its true value/market price.

Last edited:
lol, i dont haggle, if i dont like the price, i dont enquire,..

i bought a car recently that said $17, 900 negotiable, after deciding i liked it (enough to pay the full price), i gritted my teeth and mentioned the ad said negotiable and asked what he'd be happy with,...he said 17k, i was stoked!! Does that count as haggling? :p

I work in retail but I love a bargain so I have a love/hate relationship with haggling/bartering/asking for the best price. Whatever you want to call it. In a place like JB HiFi or Harvey Norman they generally have a good amount of room to move on the price and if you're not a d**khead to the salesperson and build up some rapport with them, they will often give you a fairly good price. But not all stores are like that. I work at Bbqs Galore and we honestly don't have much movement on our prices and all too often someone will ask for a discount expecting me to slash several hundred off the price and look shocked when I offer them 50-100 off a 2.5K item. It depends entirely on the business and you have to realise that not everyone is desperate for your money.

I have people come up to me about say, a $700 outdoor setting and say 'if you make that $500 we'll take it today and pay cash' as if that's supposed to excite me. 1. I'm not in the least bit excited to be selling to someone as smug as that, sure I have a KPI but I'm a good salesperson (not a snake) and chances are I'll hit my target with or without that sale and 2. I'm not allowed to cut that much off a price no matter what I'm selling unless it's a 3k+ sale.
Upon giving them a firm no, they walk off saying 'if you'd met my price you would've had a sale mate' as if I'm at a market stand in Malaysia and they expect me to chase after them and give them what they want.

At this point they've, A. Shown me that they can't afford the setting at it's advertised price and B. Pissed me off. So now I'm not going to give them anymore of my time and they sure as hell arent getting even a cent cut off the price.

Be careful with who you haggle with and avoid it in retail stores unless they really are giants. Even then, ask once or twice, don't harass us. Most of us don't work on commission so making an extra sale doesn't do much to excite us and if you can't afford the asking price don't bother.

Endrant.

Good points there CV_AUDIO, but unfortunately with online shopping & soforth, they will get the exact or equivalent setting for the price they want it for. They wont lose out, it just the retailers who dont realise this is the way everything is headed & actually compete for the business who will. The reason "giants" like harvey norman, etc will is that they realise this. The retail industry is hurting from the online & barter but it is here to stay. Those that dont compete will eventually be driven out to others lower margins. I am also in the retail industry & see the downturn in sales trends every time the stock market drops, interest cuts dont get passed on, etc, etc. Seems to be far more stopping people from spending than encouraging them to spend atm. We are in the fortunate position that we also have a service industry attached which is quite specalised, which keeps our company afloat even if there are no retail sales for the month. Not everyone has this luxury unfortunately. But even with this, a good 60% of all our sales are done online at online prices. We are here for the long term & have adapted our selling to suit.

You raised some valid points Green_Buddy. I am sure that those people will get what they want online but it won't necessarily be of the same quality. For instance I know of a particular setting we sell at around $280, bunnings has an identical one for $200, however one key thing has changed, the frame of theirs is made of steel as opposed to ours being an aluminum frame. Also, being a BBQ store, we tend to have better quality BBQs then everyone else as it's a bit of a niche market. As such, we don't really have to compete with online pricing (yet) and even if we did, I'm a salesperson, not the CEO so I just do what I'm told and being arrogant and expecting huge discounts isn't going to get them anywhere.
Also worth mentioning is the weight of a barbeque which is often is excess of 70kg and shipping costs aren't getting any cheaper so I feel like we have a pretty stable position in the market currently. We have good prices for our products aswell, we don't hugely inflate them like the big boys, but people often have the mentality that we do and as such, expect amazing discounts. Which we can and do give on some occasions but it's of our own accord.

I apologise for my appalling grammar :s

i have never haggled for reptiles but i did just get haggled down $100 on a trio of gliders but now they have to pick up instead of me delivering so saved $120 in petrol so good for me and badly haggled for them:)

I work in a jewellery store and we get haggled with 2 out of 3 customers haha. And we are quite happy to give a discount on pretty much anything. The problems really start when people don't know when enough is enough and they are asking an unreasonable price, and don't let up and don't leave. But that's what managers are good for haha. And I'll admit I generally do ask for a better price if it's in a shop that I know usually discounts. You never know if you never ask. But it's always a polite "What's the best price you can do" or "Are you having a sale at the moment" etc. Be polite to the salespeople and they are much more likely to oblige :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back