Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't preaching to the guy, never said I was. Never said the guy didn't care about his snake either, just said it appeared he wasn't very knowledgeable about it due to the way he acted and treated others. I was having a conversation, I never preached, I just offered info during the course of talking and he got egotisitcal and arrogant because I had info he didn't know about. If you don't understand the intent behind someones thread or actually read what they are posting, then don't post in it, its pointless.

You probably weren't intending to sound like you were preaching to him, but unfortunately in the text based world of forums it may have been how it came across. Also, dA is a large international site, if he was from overseas then they don't have localities for their Morelia species. Either way I think it still comes back to my first statement 'Don't get worked up over it'.

locality is becoming a thing of the past with all snakes/reptiles.

Rubbish, locale animals are more popular then ever. Even going back only 5 years there were no where near the amount of locale animals as there is now. Mind you a lot are bogus.

I caught a little coastal carpet today, which was in the main drag of tourist central, so it could be relocated of course. This bloke that said he had bred snakes in the past and has had albino darwins and hets and has sold them, first asked me if it was mine (which I said it was wild) and then asked if it was crossed with a albino because of its caramel colouration and for a while he thought that this was the case... I had to explain the whole different subspecies of carpets and that a coastal down in the sunny coast could not breed with a darwin from up north...

Not disrespecting or having a vent about this guy, as I was able to explain the logistics to him, and now I hope he has a better understanding.. However this guy said he has bred snakes and has had 'albinos' before and has had snakes for 10 years... If so, then don't you come across certain info though your buyings and sellings? If someone understands hets, then i'm not sure how he didn't know where albinos carpet pythons in Australia actually come from.

Personally, I think its impossible to not gain info over the years and add to your knowledge bank... Your species, sub species and locales alike.. I didn't know anything 2 years ago....

I can totally see where EVERYBODY is coming from in this thread. I can definitively feel the frustration of trying to explain things to people (even if they didnt care about sub species or locales, just the colour ect), with them not excepting ANY of the information and just generally being a dick about it and only seeing his way as right (although in my case if he was right, having albino coastal's in the wild would be PRETTY DAMN COOL) I WOULD BE PISSED OFF TOO.
I just don't understand how someone could breed, sell and buy pythons, especially albino darwins and not understand where they come from geographically... It is sort of hard to miss.

Last edited:
Oh goodness frozenmouse I know this. I meant in the wild, like the are too geographically separated naturally that it is impossible because the sub species are too far apart to cross over. - Should have re worded in my spiel.

Pretty much any carpet python ssp will be able to breed with any carpet python ssp , they have even crossed womas and carpets , carpets and chondros .

have a look at this thread- http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/morelia-milkshakes-162677/

This is what DA is really about! Unless the person is looking to be corrected or dosen't mind it, they arck up and start trouble!
I loved his comment: "I already know everything there is to know, you should be taking advice from me, not trying to give it to me." I found that rather amuesing as one person can never know averything as there is always new studies, new advances being made and new subs being found!

Depending on which word someone puts pmphasis on (relating to text) it can mean a whole diffrent thing to someone reading it compaired to how the original person wanted it to sound.
Also, with him not being in Aus I don't really think they would have the history and locality info readily available to them (but that is just a guess as I haven't really looked into overseas stuff)

This is just my 2c

I love locality specific animals :) All the reptiles I currently have are from people who either personally wild caught the original founding specimens many many years ago, or are friends with the people who did. I like the idea of keeping things locality pure and continuing on the line. It may take a bit longer to reach your goals with patterns in jungles for example, but the idea of producing something funky that could actually occur naturally in the wild, is pretty cool!

It's been a bit of a dream of mine to do something with Eastern Brown Snakes one day (I know, not everyone's cup of tea). So much diversity of colour, even within a fairly specific locale. Here in Armidale ( and within a 20k radius), I've had very dark brown, mocha, caramel, redish brown, orange- brown, tan, light cream and all with or without blotches and varying band thickness to totally unbanded.

If I walk down the street eating an Easter egg, I don't expect every Christian to stop and lecture me on the meaning and symbolism of the egg. I just want to eat chocolate.

What is more important? The fact that it is an egg or the brand of egg it is?

But what if you are a chocolate salesman and the person buying the egg wants to know where it was manufactured, and you said there was no such thing as different manufacturing companies - all chocolate is made by Willy Wonka at his place!! :D :D :D

It's been a bit of a dream of mine to do something with Eastern Brown Snakes one day (I know, not everyone's cup of tea). So much diversity of colour, even within a fairly specific locale. Here in Armidale ( and within a 20k radius), I've had very dark brown, mocha, caramel, redish brown, orange- brown, tan, light cream and all with or without blotches and varying band thickness to totally unbanded.

This is a great project! I believe you can also see crazy variation within a wild clutch (although I am just going by what I have been told). That would make breeding them really exciting because there would be lots of different ones to choose from.

Last edited:
Apologies OP:); Ingie, I've found both banded and unbanded individuals in the same clutch on every occasion (never found a clutch with all bandeds or all unbandeds), although they seem rarely to carry that degree of banding through to adulthood. I'd be fascinated to know why such variation is necessary?!

Yes different colours are great, but in the wild snakes are the colour they are depending on where they are. Albino's in the wild would simply be 'owl food'.... they look great to us, but that is the reason there are few albinos in the wild (that survive)
I like the look of some of the designer snakes, but I like my snakes to look like they are meant to be :rolleyes:

Can we get back to the thread? The guy was an artist.... let him think what he wants :rolleyes:

Deviant art??? thats what we used to call my uncle Arthur hehehehe

I normally don't care about locales. I do however want to get a pair of Port Macquarie Pythons as I live in Port. I have relocated a couple and seen a few here around town so I have a really good idea what they look like but as of yet havent seen any for sale that I can guarantee are Port Mac's so havent bought any yet

I normally don't care about locales. I do however want to get a pair of Port Macquarie Pythons as I live in Port. I have relocated a couple and seen a few here around town so I have a really good idea what they look like but as of yet havent seen any for sale that I can guarantee are Port Mac's so havent bought any yet

Try greg hollis if your after the port/wauchope area intergrades if thats the animal you mean, greg has great lines and lives in your general area.

Try greg hollis if your after the port/wauchope area intergrades if thats the animal you mean, greg has great lines and lives in your general area.

I've been told Greg doesnt breed anymore but I've been in contact with someone in the area who says they breed his lines.

Greg sold most of his animals when he went overseas a few years ago. I took the trip up there from Melbourne & bought his jungles & brought some bhp's back for another buyer in Vic. He told me at that stage he was not going to be breeding anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back