persuading mum!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanG

Reaction score
hey guys, have wanted a snake all my life, and have tried everything to try and persuade my mum into letting me get one. has ur mum given into u?? wat did u do!! i need help guys, i am desperate for a snake!!!

I bugged my mum for my first snake and i said i promise only 1 haha she gave in i got a hatchie diamond then 5months later a jungle 4months later another diamond 3months another jungle 6months another jungle then finally 7months after all that 2 albino darwins :p but have sold most of them now as i went over seas and couldnt get people to look after them

If you are desperate she will say no as she has.
Research, pick a species best to convince her would be childrens, spotted, stimson etc
Show her you know how to look after one, show her they make good pets...get her to an expo or to somewhere she can get up close to a small python species.

Why are you desperate for a snake by the way?

do you keep any other reptiles? if she has a fear of reptiles start with a lizard or something i had beardies and water dragons before my snakes

Stop caring what she thinks when you become 18 thats what i had to do :D

Almost got one when i was 15 though kellyvile pets told my parents it would cost $1500-2000 for a enclosure for one snake ( no snake included) , never got a second chance until i was 18.

I told my housemate, who swore to move out if a snake moved in, that I found my coastal in the back shed. I did find it in the rat shed tho.... I bought it, then put it there (in a tub) hehehehehehahahahahaha

Then I did the same thing with my 2 spotteds, bought them, put them in the rat shed ...... I came inside with 1 in each hand saying "look, look... this time there's 2!!!" hehehehe (funny, I already had an enclosure all set up too .... just in case hehehehe)

Now I have 5 (so far)..... its ok tho.... they are in my bedroom :lol:

Then, blow me down, I actually did find a 3m coastal in the rat shed :shock: I said to housemate... "see, that must be Monty's dad" hehehehe :lol:

Well im 15 and u have to be 16 to get your lic
With my mum it was a no from the start
So every time she said (blake clean the lounge room )
I would say no like she did
And my dad was also a no so
I printed off the licance form
And said (Mum can u come fill this out) as soon as she saw it
Mum- no.
Me- foot massage?
Mum- ok
So a 2 min foot massage and your good
But make sure she is about to go to sleep
And they have never held a snake before haha

Just bring it home... she will live and get over it!

i told my mother i was pregnant and i had no idea who the father was. Then i went on to tell her i had a drug problem. I also included i needed money as i had people coming after me for unpaid debts.
Then i told her i was just kidding and a snake doesn't sound all that bad when compared to some things.
She agreed :D

why cant u simply respect your mothers right to say no and wait till you move out and can do whatever and have whatever reptiles you want?

i am shocked by the amount of people who 'force' a parent or loved one to change their minds simply because you WANT something

I am a mom and I had to convince my 4yo daughter to let me have snake (the 2yo doesn't care) :shock: If she had said no I would've waited and ask again next year because it's her home too and she has every right not to want to live with "scary" animal ;) It goes both ways!

Do what I did, whenever you go on holidays, (preferably up north) try find a wild python or just any snake really, show her that they are truly amazing and respectable creatures, make her fall in love with some baby snakes at the local pet store... And Bam! you have yourself a snake! I have used this method with my Childrens python, green tree frogs and my Shingleback!
-Nathan!

Or, tell her "Mum, you will be so happy, I dont want a snake after all. I want to get a freshwater crock instead:shock: They dont take up much room and they are really cute! :lol:

I think you will get your snake :lol:

I have the same issue but it's only because she doesnt want to see it, but the idea with a snake in the house is ok. Unfortunate in WA we can't keep reptiles in bedrooms which has made it an issue. After explaining that the snake I want spends most of its time in a hide she has warmed up to the idea, and saying that I will cover the enclosure with a thin sheet (so light still gets through) if she is in the room with the snake and it's out so it's seen, she has warmed up to the idea.

when i had to convince my parents all i did was continually talk about reptiles day and night but not force the fact i want a snake then i slowly started buying things i will need such as heat cords thermostats things like that then subscribed to scales and tails and by feb they let me go to the vhs expo wich was a huge turning point as when they actually got to see and hold some snakes they let me buy my jungle and they also grabbed a couple things of there own.:)

I am a Mum....and I think there is something about teenage boys and not following through.

How much are you helping Mum at home and I mean really helping her.

Maybe she is saying no because she is thinking why should I say yes to something I dont really want when he cant even be bothered......washing up.......cleaning a toilet......shower....sweeping etc.

So maybe if you want Mum to say yes to something you need to be aware of givig her something she wants....like some help around the house.....

Then when you ask she will be in a much better mood to say yes.

Do you have any friends who have snakes? If you do take mum around, show her what they are like to keep. If it's a nice placid one have them get it out to handle and let her have the option to touch it.

If she still says no, respect it and let it go. Snakes will still be on the market when you are old enough to have your own place and pay your own bills, I got my first snake at 42.

My mum wasnt really keen on the idea but wasn't totally against it, but after a few months of talking about it, she really didn't care anymore, and now she is always peeking in having a look at the snakes and asking about them and telling all her friends.. ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back